3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Rick Butler up top!  (Read 930 times)

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
Rick Butler up top!
« on: February 21, 2016, 12:42:00 PM »
Congrats on your hog buddy!!!
Thom

Re: Rick Butler up top!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 12:58:00 PM »
Congrats to Rick!

Bisch

Offline Duker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 03:31:00 PM »
Congrats Rick     :thumbsup:   SWEEEET looking hog     :archer2:

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 04:06:00 PM »
Yes Rick, that is one of the nicest looking hogs I have seen.  Congratulations.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Pokerdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 04:43:00 PM »
Congrats buddy!  Complete pass through, double lung, perfect shot!
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
US Army 1992-94

Offline Anointed Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 05:12:00 PM »
Well done Rick!
For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them. And he gave us this wonderful message of reconciliation.

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 06:49:00 PM »
Way to go Rick. Nice piggy. Hoping to try out one of my new Simmons on one of those next month when I visit beaunaro for a three day hunt. Love hunting hogs.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 07:33:00 PM »
Excellent harvest....congrats!
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline JS80

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2016, 07:35:00 PM »
Nice hog Mr.Butler. What kind of bow and arrow set-up did you use?

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2016, 07:44:00 PM »
Nice Pig Rick!    :thumbsup:

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2016, 09:20:00 AM »
Congrats Rick! Now we need a story to go with the picture.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2016, 09:34:00 PM »
Congratulations Rick,

It WAS a pretty darn good skill that brought that one down.

How about you telling us the story.

I would like to here it again.
Irv Eichorst

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2016, 12:37:00 AM »
Thanks everyone. Sorry I just saw this post!
 First off I need to thank Irv for donating this hunt to the Michigan Longbow Association's banquet last winter, and happy to say I was top bidder. Through e-mails we discussed some dates and agreed on the second weekend in January.  I figured I'd be ready for a break from the winter weather here in Michigan at that point.
  Andrew Zwerk( pokerdaddy here on TG)and I flew into Orlando January 7th and then drove down to Ft. Pierce, checked into a motel and then gave Irv a call to let him know we were in town. Andrew and I had hunted hogs together 2 years previously at Wild Things in S. Carolina with the annual Camp (h)Ambush crew. Neither one of us killed a hog on that trip but we sure had a good time and Andrew was a great hunting partner. When he expressed an interest in going along on this hunt I was happy to have him join me.  We didn't arrive til late in the evening so Irv said he would meet us at the motel at 0530 the next morning
       I was wide awake  well before the alarm went off.  I dressed stuck my head out the door and Andrew was standing outside ready to go too.  
      Irv showed up at the appointed hour we shook hands, had a brief strategy session there in the parking lot and then jumped in the car to follow him out to the first area we would hunt.

It had rained through the night and continued to sprinkle off and on as we drove.  We hit the first area, parked and gathered our gear and proceeded to follow Irv out to the stands.

Now most of the parcels we hunted this weekend are used for grazing cattle and this particular property, although not particularly big had probably 15 head of cattle on it with some very impressive horns!  Fortunately they were pretty docile and generally scooted out of the way when we approached.

We followed Irv through the pasture to the first stand.  All of the recent rains had left this field pretty soggy with plenty of standing water in the low spots. We got to the stand and Andrew said he'd like to sit that one so we dropped him off and then proceeded to the 2nd  ladder stand. I scooted up the ladder, got strapped in Irv wished me luck and headed back to his truck.  As the sky grew lighter I could make out the feeder in front of me. Before he left Irv had dropped some additional corn near the feeder.  Each feeder on these grazing lands sat in a fenced in area to keep the cows away from the corn. Pigs could get to it but the cows couldn't.

The rain was intermittent, not hard but enough to let you know you were getting wet.  By 0800 Andrew and I texted each and decided to call it a morning and go dry out. No hogs were seen
     Back at the motel we gave Irv a call, he said he'd come over around noon and we'd go get some lunch.
     Irv showed up and we headed out to a little place he knew about on the river kind of a Mom and Pop place but judging from the crowd the place was popular, and with good reason the food was excellent.
  We talked a lot about hog hunting and you could tell that Irv was pretty passionate about the hunting and what he wanted his hunters to experience, and he wanted to make sure we got what we wanted out of this hunt.

That afternoon we decided to head back to the property we had hunted that morning.  The rain had quit and we got some intermittent sun.  Sitting in the stand that afternoon was pretty comfortable.  We sat until dark but despite plenty of fresh sign saw no hogs.

Saturday morning Irv met us at 0500 at the motel and we followed him out to a different property.  Apparently at one time this was a three hundred tree farm but was now used for grazing cattle.  I got dropped off as we pulled onto the property.  Irv instructed me to follow the road next to the canal down until I came to a small white building then turn in and follow the fence down about 50 yards to the tree stand. Somehow I missed the "50 yard" part of the direction and when I came to the pump house and fence  I turned and kept walking.  I must have gone about 2 hundred yards before I realized my mistake so I started backtracking and sure enough the stand was tucked into the trees right where Irv said it would be.

By now it was starting to get light so I got up the ladder as quickly and quietly as I could and got settled in.  Now this was a 15 foot ladder stand and the feeder was only about 10 feet away.

I was in the stand maybe 20 minutes when I heard something moving behind me. I had an arrow out of the quiver and nocked when I heard a soft grunt over my left shoulder.
  I turned slightly to my left just as a gray hog that would probably go 150 lbs. appeared at the base of the feeder. With the bow up I picked a spot straight up from the right leg, drew and released.
  The arrow went high and zipped right over his back!  He grunted, harder this time, and bolted.

"Dang it!" I couldn't believe I had missed at that distance but I hadn't taken into account the steep downward angle.  I sat back and stared at the chartreuse fletching sticking up from underneath the feeder.  Shortly after as I sat there I heard something in the canal that was  just to the right of my stand.  I looked down to see an otter climbing up onto the bank and then back into the water!

The rest of the morning passed with no more hog sightings.  Andrew and I met up at mid morning and headed back to the motel.

We met up with Irv later that afternoon.  I had told him my sad tale over the phone earlier.  He had a different property in mind for that afternoon so we followed him out to another ranch and drove back into the property to a parking area.  The 3 of us hiked back in for a ways and then I headed into a tree stand on the edge of a small clearing overlooking another feeder.  I climbed into the stand but found it was a bit far from where I figured the hogs would come from and a good 20+ yards from the feeder. The surrounding area was thick with small palm trees and palmettos. I climbed down and set up in a spot on the ground where I could watch the trail leading into the feeder. I swept the ground clean of any debris and trimmed back a few fronds to make a shooting lane.
     An hour after I settled in I had 2 hogs come down the trail and into the feeder. One was jet black and the other was red.  Both looked to be about 100 lbs.
   The red one  literally flopped down on her belly next to the feeder(which hadn't gone off yet)while the black hog nosed around looking for whatever tidbits it could find to eat.

The breeze was iffy but for the time being I was downwind of them.  I eased to the side of the Palm I was standing behind to get clear for a shot. These 2 were well within 15 yards, but the red hog was laying smack behind an oak that blocked her vitals. I had a great view of her  head and ham but nothing else.  Meanwhile the black had discovered something of interest in the palmettos just behind the feeder. I was trying t figure out  how to get a shot at the red when the breeze shifted ever so slightly but enough that they winded me and skedaddled in record time. A disappointing outcome but never the less exciting!

Andrew and I texted each other and called it a day shortly there after, and hiked back out to the vehicle.
   We talked to Irv that evening, we told him that we'd like to hunt that property again in the morning but from the ground, he thought that sounded good and said he would meet us in the morning at the motel and bring some stools for us to use.

Sunday morning found us back at the same location.  Andrew and I both headed into where I sat the night before and got set up some distance apart.  These palmettos provided excellent cover but you had to be careful you didn't brush up against them because of the noise .

The morning passed uneventfully and we realized our hunt was winding down.  One more evening sit and it would be over.

More to come, got to call it a night for now.
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2016, 01:01:00 AM »
JS80 you asked about the bow I hunted with.  It's a 3 Rivers 3 piece Tomahawk, 45#'s@28" and 62 "  long. I bought this bow specifically for this trip as I was flying and wanted something I could fit in my luggage.   The arrows are 2016 Legacy's with a 160gr. STOS broadhead mounted on a 100gr. adapter.  Total arrow wt is about 580 gr.
   This is a great shooting bow, very quiet and stable.

"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2016, 09:23:00 AM »
On the ride back to the motel we discussed our options.  Andrew wanted to return to the area we had hunted  on Friday and I was good with that.  We hadn't seen any hogs but the sign was there and they'd been hitting the feeders.
   We met up with Irv and his friend Priscilla for lunch at a local barbecue place not far from the motel,(that brisket was some of the best I've ever had)  Over our food we talked about football, the weather up north and what we did when we weren't hunting.  Irv's a lucky man, he's from Wisconsin but spends his winters in Florida  guiding hunters and chasing pigs.  Now that's my kind of lifestyle!

We finished eating then Andrew and I returned to the motel to get ready for our last hunt. The rain returned but it wasn't bad and it cleared off by the time we headed out to hunt again.
     The afternoon was overcast and gray with a good breeze out of the west.  I got into my tree stand and got settled in for the evening sit.
    At 5PM the feeder went off.  I knew it was coming and actually anticipated it but it still makes you jump a bit when it happens. As I sat there I kept an eye on the well used trail that came out of the brush to my right and angled in towards the feeder. Forty yards or so to my left was a barbed wire fence that marked the boundary of the property.  The other side of the fence was thick Pines.  Irv said the pigs may also come in from the Pines but I could see no trails coming in from that direction.

By 530 the wind had really picked up,  I decided to get down and spend the last 20 minutes or so of daylight along the fence.  Maybe find a place where they were crossing into the pasture and set up in some nearby cover.  If I stayed in the stand, by the time the pigs got to it, it may be too dark for a shot.
   I got out of the tree gathered up my gear and studied the fence line to see if I could pick out a crossing. For whatever reason I slipped off my shooting glove and shoved it in my pocket.
   I turned and headed over towards the fence. I got to about 10 yards from it and started walking parallel to it. As I did I got a glimpse of a small black hog just on the other side of the fence about 6 feet in. As I stared at it I realized there was something else in there.  Something white and black and a foot or two closer to the fence another hog! Laying down!
  I had an arrow out of the quiver and on the string when I realized I didn't have my glove.  No time to get it out I'd just shoot with bare fingers. I drew back. This movement on my part alerted the black and white one.  She stood up and as she did the arrow slipped from my  fingers. The arrow caught her just behind the left shoulder and disappeared.  She let out a short squeal and bolted, taking the small black hog with her.
    I caught my breath and thought; "Wow that just happened."
    I walked over to the fence and saw my arrow imbedded in a pine sapling about 6 inches up from the ground. The chartreuse fletching was bloodied.
     I texted Irv and let him know I probably had a hog down.  He let me know he was on his way.  I then texted Andrew and told him, he was going to sit until Irv showed up.
    I climbed thru the fence to retrieve my arrow.  Irv let us know we did have permission to cross onto this property if we needed to track a hog.
    The arrow was covered in bright, red blood, but I would wait for reinforcements and give this hog some time.
    By the time Irv arrived it was dark. Andrew joined us and he had some news as well!  Priscilla had accompanied  Irv and the four of crossed through the fence and started tracking.
    The pines were thick and made for slow going, the pine duff on the ground seemed to absorb the what blood there was initially but marking what we found with toilet paper we worked out the track and were soon into a very good blood trail.
    The sow made it about 50 yards and expired. It was obvious the arrow caught her in both lungs as she was covered in bright red, frothy blood. There's always a moment of sadness walking up on a fallen animal, but I think her death happened fairly quickly and she did not suffer.
  We snapped some photos then began the process of dragging her out of the pines, under the fence, and back through the pasture and cattle and to the truck. She was bigger than the hog I got at Wild Things last April and that one scaled out at 110lbs.  Irv guessed her weight to be 125 to 140 but by the time we got her to the truck we figured she weighed 3-4 times that much!
  We decided that rather than gutting her out we would skin her down and take the hams, shoulders and back straps.  After all I still had to get this meat back to Michigan.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2016, 09:43:00 AM »
We bagged the meat in some feed bags Irv had in the truck, drove back to the motel and packed it in ice.  I would get a cooler in the morning and prep it for transport back home.
    All in all this was a great hunt and Irv really works to give you whatever kind of hunt you want.  There are lots of different properties and hunting Florida is a unique experience.  I look forward to returning and hunting with Irv again.

"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2016, 09:52:00 AM »
Irv sent me this photo. The following morning, he had gone back into the property we hunted and this was all that remained of the carcass

"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2016, 08:37:00 PM »
Great story! Thanks for taking the time to share it.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2016, 09:38:00 PM »
Wow, Congrats on a great Hog!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2016, 10:27:00 PM »
Great story Rick, and thanks for all the details.
I thought it was a great trip too.

We got to experience a lot of different terrain, had a couple of good lunches, some nice conversation, and didn't get too wet, even though this winter has been cool and rainy.

It's great for me to hear things from the hunter's perspective. It gets me thinking about how I can improve things, and I find out about which tree didn't have a bow hook or hoist rope, for example

For instance, I already fixed both of the cow exclusion fences where this story took place. The cows like corn too I guess, and they can really push to get it.

I'm glad you were thinking on your feet when you got out of the stand and cautiously approached the fence in the dusk. It made the outcome of the hunt so much better.

And also Andrew did himself right by sticking it out till the end and managed to shoot a pig too
as well.

It's always fun to unravel a blood trail, and it's never easy in those thick pine needle layers.

I was really surprised at how well Priscilla found the blood, it being her first track. Later we laughed at how her "too big rubber boots" (my spares) were very fashionable.

We almost could have used hip waders on Andrews track, and I won't spoil his story. That was an amazing blood trail.

It's nice to make some good memories, with good friends.

Thank you Rick and Andrew for visiting and for your stories.
Irv Eichorst

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©