3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why such short distances?  (Read 3018 times)

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why such short distances?
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2016, 08:42:00 PM »
This has been a good thread for me personally...gave me time to think thru a few thoughts.

We all base our choices on experience(s).

I had one back years ago where I didn't see a tiny lead pencil size green briar that deflected an arrow shot at 22 yards at a broadside, quiet deer.

Hit behind the 11th rib onside and out behind the 4th off side..pass thru.  But missed diaphragm and punched the liver.

I was at least 20 yrs younger...and at "ethical" range i failed to see a tiny twig that deflected an arrow from double lung to liver!  Took that animal 2.5 hrs to die with the other state line only 125 yards away.  Had I tried to get down, and it ran, I'd never got it.

I about gave up hunting watching that animal suffer and since, no matter how well I hit at what range, I won't shoot IN THE WOODS beyond 20... and that changes depending on lighting and other factors, always shorter, never longer.

I know guys who are crack shots at longer range... have great eyesight and take longer open shots. I don't get those, probably cause where I hunt in thicker stuff where deer move more.

That's Eastern hunting or so I found.  

I applaud those with better accuracy then me and especially those with better eyesight.  Deer move, foam doesn't.  Stuff happens. Murphy has been a close cousin all my life.

enjoy the hunt... sticks aren't limited to lesser accuracy...I'd say stick hunters are, due to a variety of factors, but nothing is universal! Some excel.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2016, 08:46:00 PM »
I'd say we have evolved.

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2016, 08:50:00 PM »
Pauldeadringer-yep I recently switch over to a DAS sight. Before I was using a fixed crawl out to to 30 but, it made my bow too loud so after the season was over I bought a sight and switch back to split. Best of both worlds for me. It helps me focus on a spot or a precise hit and for quick close shots I just cant it to the side. Here is a group I shot before switching with a fixed crawl and totally bare bow at 30. No doubt 3 under and clapping or instinctive can do exactly the same thing.  

https://flic.kr/p/EbPwwW

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2016, 09:00:00 PM »
I'll have to look into the DAS sight. I have thought about using a pin sight as a form check.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2016, 09:01:00 PM »
From what I gather from reading all the comments we do agree that closer is better for hunting. Yes, out west game like antelope can test your skills. But blinds have increased the success ratio by getting them closer.
I enjoy shooting arrows, close, far, don't care just want to shoot arrows. I will not shoot at game further than say 25 yards. Then the conditions have to be what I consider perfect. Get me to a 3D shoot and I want to shoot from the wheel bow stakes. I want to have fun at shoots, practice for hunting is no fun, it is work. It does take work to hit a pie plate at 20yards every time. Maybe I am to serious about hunting practice but that is how I feel.

« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2016, 09:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jakeemt:
Pauldeadringer-yep I recently switch over to a DAS sight. Before I was using a fixed crawl out to to 30 but, it made my bow too loud so after the season was over I bought a sight and switch back to split. Best of both worlds for me. It helps me focus on a spot or a precise hit and for quick close shots I just cant it to the side. Here is a group I shot before switching with a fixed crawl and totally bare bow at 30. No doubt 3 under and clapping or instinctive can do exactly the same thing.  

https://flic.kr/p/EbPwwW    
I can shoot groups like that at 30 also! I can also have one little form glitch that send an arrow from the yellow to the black on that target. At 10-15yds, the arrow with the glitch is still in the yellow! For hunting, closer is better!

Another note: For me, personally, a 9" circle is not good enough for whitetail, pigs, and like size animals. For elk, buffalo and other bigger critters it is fine!

Bisch

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2016, 09:34:00 PM »
I could give a rats butt how far someone can shoot.  Being able to hit a target butt at 50 yds does not impress me...being able to hit a 3D Deer at 30 yards does not impress me.

Some have the time and skill to shoot out to 50 yds and take those long shots with confidence.  Others do not have the time or skill for whatever reason and shoot less than 20 yards.

What does matter to me is that YOU stay within your limits when shooting living-breathing-bleeding game animals and only take high percentage shots based on YOUR own abilities.

Someone can hit a target 9 out of 10 times but I am not willing to watch them try on a whitetail at that same difference.  If it goes well it is GREAT...if the deer takes ONE STEP before arrow impacts it could go from double lung to gut shot.  

That is why I dont like long shots on animals when hunting...  I have passed on dozens and dozens of animals that were past my comfort range...some with racks that would be in the record books...but I just wont do it.

The man that impresses me THE MOST is the one that cant shoot worth a darn past 20 yards but he fills his tags EACh and EVERY YEAR by getting to 15, 10 and even 5 yards.  He hunts within his limits.

I have found it much harder...and respect those that can do it often...to get within an animals danger zone successfully and then make the shot.  Just getting there is tough enough where their eyes, ears and noses are nearly perfect....then drawing and making the shot successfully is the creme de la creme.  Beautiful...artistic...epic!

Give me a fella that fills his tags at less than 15 yards every year over the guy that does it at 40...   same with modern hunters...I will take the guy with a lever gun or blackpowder that does it at 50-75 yards over the guy with the scopes and stuff at 500 yds.

The challenge is getting in that close...and living within your capabilities no matter the trophy in front of you.

How I choose to shoot and ENJOY my hunt is personal...and not for public opinion.  Maybe that is why I hunt alone 90% of the time.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2016, 09:41:00 PM »
Groups are fun and make for great pictures with a bow hanging from a 3", 5 arrow group at 25-30 yards.  Sometimes I'll get one like that, it makes me grin, and try to break my arm (patting myself on the back) but if I only based my accuracy on my grouping ability I'd be one sad archer.  I'd probably have to limit my shots to 17.8 yards, but I wouldn't feel comfortable out to 18.   :knothead:
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2016, 10:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bisch:
I shoot a LOT of 3D, and I hunt a LOT!!!! Of all the traditional shooters I know that shoot regular wood bows off the shelf, I would be willing to bet 90% of them cannot shoot 6/6 arrows CONSISTENTLY in a 9" circle (and I do know a few pretty salty shooters too). If you can, more power to you, but the percentage of folks who can is very, very low!

I also agree with you that anyone should practice longer range shots, and that as proficiency is gained at the longer ranges, the shorter ranges a do get easier.

Bisch
Wait.. You've shot with me.. What are you trying to say????  ;)
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2016, 11:35:00 PM »
I will take shots at Ground squirrels to forty yards most shots are at 30 your not going to get any closer . to get to 40-30 yards I'm full camo and been crawling to get that close. Some times I hit them. But on all other stuff I want them as close as possible. But shooting those ground rats at those distances makes getting a bunny at 20 a piece of cake. We all should try to get our groups as small as possible at all ranges. Just in case. You might have a rabid field mouse coming at you at 45 yards.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2016, 11:39:00 PM »
There's that dang "proficiency" word again!!!
I shot a 10 point a few season back and hit him square in the shoulder at 31 yrds. I didn't know how far it was until I stepped it off afterwords. It just felt right. BUT, I never found that deer.  I've made some great shots and some not so great shots at all ranges. So now I try to keep my shots as close as possible. I set my stands up for close shots. My stands at my feeders are set up at less than 10 yrds. I'm a lot more comfortable/confident at close ranges. And it's a thrill to get close! I shot a 250 lb boar at 4 yrds while sitting on the ground a couple months ago and passed on a good 8 point at a little over 20 on the last day of season. I know my personal limits and try stick to them. And I still blow it sometimes!
I strive to be great but I'm not there yet!  :)
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline Babbling Bob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2016, 11:51:00 PM »
But that 10 percent of the great shooters can do some inspirational things when shooting their bows.  Like Betty Grubbs who was a two time NFAA Instinctive Division Champion and would shoot into the holes of 45 RPM records for TV Demonstrations.

Take your Wife's Elvis records and try that sometime and see if you get to come home.

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2016, 12:04:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bisch:

I can shoot groups like that at 30 also! I can also have one little form glitch that send an arrow from the yellow to the black on that target. At 10-15yds, the arrow with the glitch is still in the yellow! For hunting, closer is better!

Bisch [/QB][/QUOTE]

I agree with you there man I can get those form flaws too. I like my shots closer too man. I'll take a shot at 30 if everything I just perfect but, I'd rather be closer and if anything is off I'll pass. I got a doe at 8 yards from the ground this year. Easy chip shot trouble was she still partially ducked the arrow and it turned into a high double lung. I recovered her but she ran a ways.  Things can and do happen up close too all shades of grey in this sport.

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2016, 12:08:00 AM »
P.S. I am not trying to brag nor do I think I am a great shot or anything. I only posted that group to show you can do it without sights.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2016, 12:18:00 AM »
I guess someone forgot to tell me that I was limiting myself by shooting instinctive ......now that made me laugh.

:biglaugh:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2016, 01:20:00 AM »
Originally posted by crittergetter:

I shot a 10 point a few season back and hit him square in the shoulder at 31 yrds. I didn't know how far it was until I stepped it off afterwords. It just felt right. BUT, I never found that deer.  
So you missed the heart by about 6+"? I'd love to be the guy who can't ever miss by that much at 15 yards, but I am not.  If you didn't range this buck before the shot, how do you know it was the distance that caused the shoulder hit? I'm betting there was more too it than just the range. I guess I see a pulled shot as pulled shot... it won't work out at any range (for me). I guess I'm lucky to only worry about the range until after the shot. I actually passed a nice bull or 6 different cows this past September at 50 yards. Shame on me for ranging the elk, I happily passed at that point. When I get my 200 yard bow set up, then we'll talk about ethicallity.     :archer2:
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2016, 02:28:00 AM »
Come on guys. Let's keep this place respectful.  We can still talk about and debate touchy issues without resorting to the BS seen on other sites.  Makes us all better.
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2016, 07:05:00 AM »
I don't worry about how well other guys shoot. I just worry about how well I shoot..    :)  

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2016, 08:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by BWallace10327:

Originally posted by crittergetter:

I shot a 10 point a few season back and hit him square in the shoulder at 31 yrds. I didn't know how far it was until I stepped it off afterwords. It just felt right. BUT, I never found that deer.  
So you missed the heart by about 6+"? I'd love to be the guy who can't ever miss by that much at 15 yards, but I am not.  If you didn't range this buck before the shot, how do you know it was the distance that caused the shoulder hit? I'm betting there was more too it than just the range. I guess I see a pulled shot as pulled shot... it won't work out at any range (for me). I guess I'm lucky to only worry about the range until after the shot. I actually passed a nice bull or 6 different cows this past September at 50 yards. Shame on me for ranging the elk, I happily passed at that point. When I get my 200 yard bow set up, then we'll talk about ethicallity.         :archer2:     [/b]
Brent, I actually missed the heart by about 3". He was slightly quarted away and I tried to tuck it behind the shoulder but I hit the leg bone. I didn't realize how far it was until I got down and went to the spot I shot him and looked back at the stand. Then stepped it off.
My point is that I took a shot that " I " never should have.
I later that day I passed a small 6 point at 15 yrds and shot a very small spike at about 10 yrds.
I learned from it and am better for it. But I still get sick when I think about that deer.
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2016, 10:04:00 AM »
Roy, I had a chuckle at your expense... Actually laughing at myself on this because I've done the same.

The fire extinguisher in your picture sure is dinged up..   :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©