3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 66 Kodiak is Dacron/b50 only. Correct?  (Read 571 times)

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
66 Kodiak is Dacron/b50 only. Correct?
« on: February 21, 2016, 03:07:00 PM »
I got a 1966 kodak the other day. Still had what appears to be the original string.
I'm assuming the bow should only have Dacron or B50/B55 correct?
How many stands?

Thank you,
Tedd

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 66 Kodiak is Dacron/b50 only. Correct?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 03:20:00 PM »
What poundage? most likely 14-16 strands will do the job.......and yes I would use B-50 or B-55.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 03:32:00 PM »
58@28 drawn to 31".
So 67lb.

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 03:37:00 PM »
Most folks report good success with ff on old bows IF the loops are padded. That's up to you though if the risk is worth the reward. I would say 14 strands of b55 would be plenty for that bow.

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 04:03:00 PM »
Just read a recent discussion on *********** the other day on this very topic. Several had used skinny FF strings with padded loops without issues. Most reported good speed increases and quieter shooting due to less string vibration.  Ultimately its up to you though.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 04:14:00 PM »
Modern bowyers who still offer their bows either way, with or without fast flight, like Schafer, will do some extra work on the limb tips for their fast flight option.  I would guess that the fast flight option adds a little weight to the limb tips, which would take away some of the performance if you didn't intend to a use fast flight string.  Alternatively, they feel like they need the extra support in the limb tips if a fast flight string is going to be used.

It's often possible to get away with something a product wasn't designed for, but I have to ask myself, "why?"  I have 3 Kodiaks from the 50's, 60's, and 70's, and I would never shoot them with anything other than a dacron string.  I bought them as representative of that period of time, and I want them to perform as they were designed to perform.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 04:21:00 PM »
Even if FF can be used on an older bow, mine won't be shot with it. Their value to me is way more than a few fps gained. High risk, low reward for me and mine so it is a no go on my old bows. If the string doesn't give as much with FF then the vibration shock either goes into the arrow or the limbs, or both. Old bow = old glue.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 05:39:00 PM »
There are lots of variables to consider.  I can't say with 100% certainty it will destroy a given bow, but I can say it's not worth the risk to me.

A shorter draw length, lighter draw weight, better built bow, longer bow, etc. would probably hold up longer.

It reminds me of several years ago when B-75 and PENN 66 were on the market.  Some folks thought they were great, some folks blew up bows.  I remember being referred to as pretty much everything but smart and honest for voicing concerns, but ultimately both were taken off the market.

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2016, 05:39:00 PM »
Settled.  Makes good sense Mcdave. B55 ordered from lost nation.
Tedd

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2016, 05:48:00 PM »
I have many say they use FF on older bows with good result. It is strictly a matter of choice. Some will be just fine, and some will not.
Personally, I have seen the end of a limb blow off when using FF on a bow that wasn't designed for it.
For me, it is not worth the risk.
Ken Thornhill

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2016, 10:45:00 PM »
I am also apprehensive of putting it on a bow that  is irreplaceable.  However I am going to try it on my old 72 grizz, They are pretty easily replaced.  Several respectable guys on LW had shot it for 7-8 years though with good results.  I am not so much worried about more speed as I am quietness.  That means much more than a few FPS to me.  My .02
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2016, 10:32:00 AM »
I've been using low stretch strings on my vintage bows for a half-dozen years with good results.  In my opinion, your long draw is going to pose a greater threat to the (relatively short for the draw length) bow's viability than a low-stretch string.  On the other hand, those old Bears are pretty durable.  Let us know how it works out.  Good luck.

Offline zepnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2016, 12:19:00 PM »
Correct...Not worth the risk

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2016, 03:07:00 PM »
Could it be that really old tip overlays and glues simply come apart when their day finally arrives, God help the poor soul who happened to have a FF string on the bow.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2016, 06:09:00 PM »
Forgot to mention, I'd use B-55 rather than B-50.  Still polyester (Dacron), still safe for any bow, but a higher quality polyester with a little less stretch and creep.

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2016, 06:28:00 PM »
66 kodiak has 5 layers of glass on the tips - I have no problem shooting a 10 or 12 strand d97 string on mine.   It is certainly not a high risk low reward choice.  I would consider it more like  low risk medium reward.
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Offline Babbling Bob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2016, 07:45:00 PM »
Risk verses a small reward.  So for me, who shoots five 54 to 57 year old Bears and a "Head" Red Wing Hunter, the four to five color B-50 strings by Bearbowman do me just fine.

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2016, 08:16:00 PM »
Shaun Webb built me a skinny string with low stretch a number of years ago. Padded the loops, and proceeded to "force"    :biglaugh:   me to put it on a very special '59 Grizzly. After 100's and 100's of shots, she's still quite snappy. Yes, the tips were  re'done by me with Glass, and NO, I wouldn't put just any FF string on her. Trust your string maker to build you the correct string, and go have fun!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2016, 09:00:00 PM »
Speed has nothing to do with using FF it's how the bow feels, NO hand shock. I use FF on my 74-75 Bear Grizzly and it's like a different bow on how it feels/shoots.

When you use B50 and your bow tips split or the bows come apart I just it's just and old bow and it was time or bad manufacturer. But when some use  FF and it breaks they are real quick to blame it on FF strings.

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2016, 09:25:00 PM »
She stacks pretty hard after 29"-30". I draw 31". I guess I need a 64".
I'll probably put this one up for sale.

Tedd

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©