3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 66 Kodiak is Dacron/b50 only. Correct?  (Read 572 times)

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 66 Kodiak is Dacron/b50 only. Correct?
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2016, 09:34:00 PM »
Whittler, I agree that when a bow fails, usually the first question asked is "what kind of string was on it", and if it's a high performance material it often gets the blame.  However, I have seen bows damaged by the string.  Some failures are questionable, some there is no doubt.  I also agree that HMPE materials aren't about speed/performance.  The other benefits are so great that I'd use them if they were slower.

4runr, there's more to it than just how the string is made.  The string definitely needs to be made correctly, but the string grooves on a "FF" rated bow are cut at an angle, and the tips reinforced.  Every old bow I've looked at had the string grooves cut straight across, and that makes a difference.

I don't know how some folks get away with it and others don't.  Guess it's like some folks who smoke and live to be 100, or some drive like a maniac and never get a speeding ticket...others aren't so lucky.  

There definitely is a risk, and how much of a risk it is depends on a ton of variables.

For me, it's an easy solution.  I don't have any bows I'm willing to risk it with, and even if I did I don't want to risk any knots on my head or splinters in my hand, so I only use HMPE materials on bows built for it.

Chad

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 66 Kodiak is Dacron/b50 only. Correct?
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2016, 06:58:00 PM »
History, bows weren't built for a certain string material.

This bow could have been only drawn to 27", thru it's life. Stood in the corner of a closet, dry fired 4 times by Dad! History!
H.P. strings don't break bows, people do!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©