3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Crazy Broadhead Question  (Read 501 times)

Offline Basstar

• Trad Bowhunter
Crazy Broadhead Question
« on: February 22, 2016, 07:36:00 AM »
As a newly returning traditional bowhunter of course I am studying and trying to learn all I can both for my own benefit but also to be the most ethical hunter I can be.

I have some 3 blade VPA heads as well as some Zwickey Eskilite 2 blade heads.

I keep reading more though about using a two blade single bevel head as a better choice.

So.......should I reconsider the 3 blade VPA heads and or/ should I consider filing the Zwickey heads down to a single bevel edge, or consider a different head altogether?

"OR" am I simply being to anal and OCD and overthinking this whole thing?  (Which I admittedly do from time to time.)

I am drawing approximately 41 pounds using a 400 grain arrow and will be shooting nothing larger than a whitetail "unless" I were to get drawn for our state elk quota hunt.

Thanks so much and I truly appreciate the help and input.

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Crazy Broadhead Question
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 07:52:00 AM »
You're right, this is a crazy question; lots of variables.  Both broadheads are great, I killed a turkey and a muley doe in 2014 with a Zwickey Eskimo and a muley doe in 2015 with a Wensel Woodsman (similar to a VPA 3-blade).  Both heads were 200 grains and they were shot from bows that I draw to about 54#.  All pass through shots, all short <45 yard blood trails.  Seems like you've got enough for a deer, if you hit where you're looking heart/lung area, but I think you might be a little under-bowed for elk. Good luck.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 08:37:00 AM »
Nothing wrong with what you have as long as you can sharpen them to your standards and they fly well for your setup. Yes, your over thinking it some, it's easy to do with so many choices out there but have confidence in your setup.

I will say with that low of poundage your shooting I would go with the two blade heads and stay away from those shoulder blades on deer and move up some weight for elk. IMHO

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 08:46:00 AM »
Your on the low side of bow weight for the 3 blade in my opinion and I wouldn't even consider your set up for elk.  If your near central kentucky give me a shout and I'd be happy to get you set up.

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 09:16:00 AM »
If I was shooting 41#, I would go to a razor sharp 2-blade. I don't really care about single bevel or double bevel, I just want it as sharp as it can be, and to be able to put it in the right place! I also agree that, if you can, you should work up to a bit higher draw weight to hunt critters as big as elk!

I put in for the Ky elk draw this year too!!!

Bisch

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 10:57:00 AM »
This is just my experience: I find that I get a better blood trail when using a single bevel head over a double bevel head.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 12:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by K.S.TRAPPER:
Nothing wrong with what you have as long as you can sharpen them to your standards and they fly well for your setup. Yes, your over thinking it some, it's easy to do with so many choices out there but have confidence in your setup.

I will say with that low of poundage your shooting I would go with the two blade heads and stay away from those shoulder blades on deer and move up some weight for elk. IMHO

Tracy
What he said..... and yes...OCD    :biglaugh:

Go hunting and have fun.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 01:24:00 PM »
I'm going with:

"OR" am I simply being to anal and OCD and overthinking this whole thing?"

Unless you draw for elk then you will need a heavier bow.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 01:57:00 PM »
Yep over-worrying a touch.
...but nothing wrong with asking questions and wanting to do it right.      :thumbsup:    

I'd say you're a touch light on draw weight for the 3 blade...unless you have a longer than ave. draw length. But still I think you'd be ok on deer to 20yds or under....not elk.

Don't waste your time on making that Zwickey a single bevel.
They're not thick enough to get much rotation..plus that 3 lam tip screws things up.

Don't get me wrong..Zwickeys are GREAT heads.
In fact if I were in your situation, I'd figure out how to sharpen that zwickey ( try an ACCUSHARP if you're sharpening challenged) with a regular double bevel and hunt with confidence in my equipment.

...confidence in myself..well that's another story...lol
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 03:06:00 PM »
Oh....and what Mike said...forgot about the Elk.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Jmatt1957

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2016, 05:03:00 PM »
ocd  what broadhead shoots the best? If the same what one can you get the sharpest?

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2016, 05:42:00 PM »
If you have a very fast 41 pound bow and draw that elk tag remember, going up in poundage just a little will not get you  much if it is a slower designed bow.  I know of one hunter that had a 57 pound bow he  thought that he needed for elk, he had a hard time with the weight. So he bought a used 50 pound Robertson recurve that shot the same arrow faster by a good margin.

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2016, 06:01:00 PM »
Better to have a two blade go all the wsy through than a three blade almost make it
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2016, 08:26:00 PM »
When my boys were young in the 80s and 90s they shot similar weight bows as you and I set them up with  eskimos thinking that the smaller 2 blade would be better for their light weight bows . We had several scanty dead end blood trails and some discouraged young hunters . I switched their broadheads to 125 grain snuffers, they had much better success and we couldn't see a difference in penetration .

Offline mark Willoughby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2016, 08:32:00 PM »
A hole through the lungs is just that they will fill up with blood weither it be a 3 or 2 blade makes no difference that I've ever noticed just my .02
Never spend your money before you have earned it ,.... Thomas Jefferson

If you want something you've never had , you must be willing to do something you've never done ,... Thomas Jefferson

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2016, 09:03:00 PM »
Too much bad experience with two blade broadheads and blood trails. Three blade for me.

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2016, 02:10:00 PM »
behind door #3...overthinking, too anal, OCD. I've killed a bunch of deer with both.  Every bad blood trail I've ever had was due to my poor placement, not the broadhead's fault. Yes, if you want to debate the performance of one vs. the other in cases of marginal hits, so be it.  Hit it in the right place and either will do the job.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2016, 02:58:00 PM »
I agree with all the above BUT,,,,, where you are getting back into it there is a small concern of what you like to see in your sight picture when your at full draw, alot of guys like myself do not notice the arrow point at all but some do and if you are part of that group (maybe you gap or gun barrel) then a 2-blade you can turn depending on your bow cant so it looks like a field point at full draw,,, a 3 blade you can't and you will see the broadhead and it "might" mess with your mind a little,,,, like I said if you do notice it.

this is the only concern I could come up with other than Big Game from 41# If it was me I'd shoot grizzly's or similar heads,, turkeys or birds then huge snuffers all day long... thats just me though.
"Us vs Them"

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2016, 09:52:00 AM »
If someone tells you that a single bevel head is "better", I'd ask them "better at what?". Whitetails and elk will fall to any sharp blade that is shot through their vitals. All you need is a well tuned setup and sharp heads. Whatever that combination is is totally your preference. Shoot what flies best. Now if you were going after water buffalo, I'd say ya, get the Ashby setup and go kill something.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2016, 05:16:00 PM »
I don't have enough data to comment, but I carry a single bevel, a two blade and a three blade on every hunt.  I switch them up, but have had little opportunity to test results.  I am ready though.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©