3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stand reccomendation  (Read 667 times)

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
Stand reccomendation
« on: February 22, 2016, 07:37:00 AM »
This upcoming fall I plan to be more mobile in my hunting.  I'm hunting heavy hills with a mix of oaks, hickories, and pine in the Ozarks and oak, walnuts, and pines in bottomlands in south Arkansas.  I'm looking for something that can be packed in and packed out easily, set up quickly, and taken down quickly.  I plan to have 25-30 locations I'll hunt, some only a couple hundred yards from a road, some may be a mile or two in so portability is very important.  That said, I am a very fidgety person and I simply won't sit or stand still if the stand isn't pretty comfortable so comfort is high on the list as well.  Hang on stands offer the ability to strap to literally any tree strong enough to hold you up, climbers are a little easier and can let you rotate the stand in the tree as your using it if winds change or your seeing animals on an unexpected side.  I can only afford one so picking up one of each isn't an option for this upcoming fall.  Of the three listed, which would you recommend and why?
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stand reccomendation
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 08:49:00 AM »
I voted millenium hang on for the comfort factor.  Would have probably voted lone wolf or xop climber if they were options but with what you had I went millenium.

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 09:11:00 AM »
I voted for the Summit Cobra. I have never hunted from any of those stands, but have hunted Ark, and believe a climber is your best friend, and a much easier setup if you are going to multiple places, and setting up/taking down each hunt.

If you get a climber, get one with no rail. Those rails are a PITA for stickbow shooters!

Bisch

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 10:58:00 AM »
Is a lone wolf climber out of the question?

I love mine.

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 12:37:00 PM »
I voted millenium hang on because I feel hang-ons are more versatile & nearly as quick. I would have voted lone wolf or xop air raid & matching sticks if they were options but with what you had I went millenium.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 12:42:00 PM »
Look at the X stand before you buy. A climber that weighs 13 lb.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 12:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by dirtguy:
Is a lone wolf climber out of the question?

I love mine.
Nope. Just never seen one locally so it wasn't on the radar

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 01:52:00 PM »
If you go summit consider the open shot model. Very light and perfect for the bow hunter.

Offline Nathan Killen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 03:33:00 PM »
X2 on the lonewolf. I have the asault and love it !
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. ->>>---------------->

Jesus is my lord and savior, Who is he to you ?

60" Little Mountain built by Ethan Rodrigue

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 09:09:00 PM »
I prefer my Summit Razor as the bar folds down and you could sleep in the darn thing it is so comfortable. I love my lone wolf assault hang ons as last count I had 10 for my farm. However the sticks and hang on thing got old for a mobile strike, so I went back to finding trees in the off season on public ground and making a spot for an ambush.

Weight is an issue with any climber in my opinion, especially with those hills you got there. I use a combination of razor with saddlebags and my heater body suit. If it is cooler I am down to my long handles with my heater body suit and if it's cold 1 layer over those. I sit all day in Novemeber when I can. That summit is the bees knees...

My lone wolf climber and I never gelled. The bands would twist as I would climb and I was too dumb to stick with it and figure out the deal. Ok I voted and left a long winded retort...Cabin fever I gues  :)
Mike Davenport

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2016, 09:37:00 PM »
Of those three, I'd buy the Summit Cobra.  I have an older Summit Bushmaster which was the pre-cursor for the Cobra.  I like it.

You'll like the open fron't - one less thing to worry about your bow hitting.  

Sure it might be a little harder to climb a tree with using your arms rather than a sit down stand up motion and being able to sit ont the front rail, but I've always that the day I can't use my arms to climb a tree is the day my butt should stick to the ground anyway.

The problem with a hang-on type stand is that it takes longer to set up if you move to different locations, and since you said you want to be mobile, go with a climber.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline wazu02

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2016, 10:05:00 PM »
I've owned several stands. Lock ons and climbers but find that if I'm going to be setting for any length of time the summit stands are hard to beat for comfort. I vote summit cobra, but think you will have days when you will need a lock on, so would recommend buying used and get each.

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2016, 10:58:00 PM »
Lone Wolf X3

Offline PennDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2016, 11:26:00 PM »
I'm throwing in a vote for the Summit Viper because that's what I have experience with.  I have made some what I consider, crucial upgrades, to mine.  I added a MOLLE pack frame and a Hazmore seat, which will put you up a little higher so the safety bar is out of your way.  I can hike comfortably with the new pack frame.  

Online Bullchaser1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2016, 08:10:00 AM »
I also have shot lots of deer out of the summit viper. I keep the sitting part of the stand as low as possible so when I stand for a shot the railing is low and out of the way. Summit stands are very comfortable, and they do offer a couple different models without the bar in front.
60” Widow PsaIII 63#
58” Widow PchX  62#

Online Bullchaser1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2016, 08:10:00 AM »
I also have shot lots of deer out of the summit viper. I keep the sitting part of the stand as low as possible so when I stand for a shot the railing is low and out of the way. Summit stands are very comfortable, and they do offer a couple different models without the bar in front.
60” Widow PsaIII 63#
58” Widow PchX  62#

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2016, 08:21:00 AM »
Wow I'm not sure I have hunted 35 different location in the last 10 years let alone in one.  

I have a viper but do not use it with traditional gear. For that I use a Lone wolf top with my Summit Bottom.   I like an open front stand.  From there it all depends on how much weight you want to carry and how quiet you want to be and how quick you want to get up the tree.  

Those need to be your choices.  Hazemore seat with the Summit is a nice setup.  For me I like the Lone Wolf Hang on but not there climber.  Never can seem to get those rubber straps adjusted right on the bottom.
T ZZZZ

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2016, 01:15:00 PM »
I'm working really hard to have more locations so I can always be in a fresh spot and be able to play weather/season/terrain into my favor. I have two large tracts of public land close to home, one near my in laws that's several thousand acres, and some family land. I want to have 5-10 good spots to go in all of them.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2016, 02:55:00 PM »
I like the air raid with sticks and aiders OR a lone wolf hand climber top with my Timbertall platform when climbing
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2016, 02:56:00 PM »
I like the air raid with sticks and aiders for Loc-on OR a lone wolf hand climber top with my Timbertall platform when climbing
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©