3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who Shoots For The Noggin?  (Read 1476 times)

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Who Shoots For The Noggin?
« on: February 22, 2016, 02:48:00 PM »
As the 75+ birds down the street constantly remind me, turkey season is fast approaching. As always, this means its time to get your gear and shooting ready. I have been watching videos of turkey hunting lately, and wonder how effective head-lopping would be for us trad folk? Anybody do it?

Ive been thinking about it, at 4 yds like the two birds i killed last year were i suppose it shouldnt be that hard. What do you think?

Dalton
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who Shoots For The Noggin?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 03:45:00 PM »
I know guys who do it......BUT, it is a very small target that never stops moving, or so it seems.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 03:47:00 PM »
I'm thinking about giving it a try and will be watching this thread. I have a turkey jinx when it comes to taking them with the recurve and it seems to me head/neck shots would result in a quick kill or a miss, the two best shots that can be made.

Good luck!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 03:55:00 PM »
I agree that they seldom stop moving (on their own), but I have stopped many back in my shotgun days with a sharp cluck on the diaphragm. In fact, at the right moment, a cluck will usually cause them to extend their head and momentarily stop moving. Seems like after reaching anchor would be the perfect time to give him a cluck.
WVBA Member

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 03:59:00 PM »
I think I will try hitting them in the body first lol.

Good luck Dalton, I know you are capable of if it.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline FAV 52

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 04:01:00 PM »
I used the Magnus Bullhead broad heads last year with great success 2 shots 2 birds D.O.C. no looking for a bird that run off into the brush . I used the 125gr. 3 3/4 in cutting diameter ; at 12 yards 50lb bow took there noggins almost completely off . I will never again use anything else on turkeys . If you hunt out of a blind with decoys they are the ticket .

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 07:17:00 PM »
Will those type of blades go through shoot through screen on a blind without messing up arrow flight.
PBS  Member

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 07:35:00 PM »
I have found there is no need to use the mesh screen for turkeys. Definitely need it for deer though. JMO
WVBA Member

Offline KyRidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 08:32:00 PM »
I've been wondering the same thing.  I really want to get a bird with my tall tines this year and a few years ago I vowed to only shoot turkeys in the head.  I would hit them exactly where I was aiming and the wouldn't die or at least I couldn't find them.  So I'm thinking the bull heads will be clean kill or clean miss.

Offline FAV 52

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 09:01:00 PM »
I never tried to shoot one through the screen ; my blind has the black interior and i wear dark colored hat and coat they never have seen me . I leave two holes open to shoot through . Best turkey broad head in my opinion ; love the fact there down on spot of contact .

Offline Arctic Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2016, 09:05:00 PM »
I'd like to try them. The only issue I can see is they don't make them anywhere close to the weight I'd need. Anybody got an idea on how to get the weight up to 150-200 grains?
Black Widow PSAX 56#@30.5"

Offline KyRidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2016, 09:10:00 PM »
Arctic hunter-  I shoot 200-225 grain heads.  I have about half my arrows with 100 grain inserts in them so I can shoot 100-125gr heads.  Also I keep the other half with regular inserts so I can run 200-225 grain broadheads if I want. You could do the same with 50 grain inserts.

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2016, 09:21:00 PM »
Not me! I like them facing away at a quartering angle.

Bisch

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2016, 09:28:00 PM »
one of the reasons we do head shots with shotguns is the fluffed feathers absorb the impact of the shot and very hard to kill a bird if not really close with a body shot...many have tried, many have not recovered their birds.

with an arrow we dont have a penetration issue....

I dont want to use the turkey heads as they lop the head off completely....just turns me off....ruins my desire for the intact bird when I relish the hunt.

I will stick with body....plus I am not good enough for a head shot.  :)   :)
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Arctic Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2016, 09:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by KyRidgeRunner:
Arctic hunter-  I shoot 200-225 grain heads.  I have about half my arrows with 100 grain inserts in them so I can shoot 100-125gr heads.  Also I keep the other half with regular inserts so I can run 200-225 grain broadheads if I want. You could do the same with 50 grain inserts.
Thanks for the tip! I actually was considering doing that. I shoot axis shafts with the 50 grain inserts now. If I can work it down to a 150 grain tip, I might be able to get away with the 75 grain insert and a 125 grain bullhead.

Actually in the last few minutes, I broke out the ol' bear tigercat and it seems to bare shaft pretty well with a 125 grain tip. It's a little slow, but I'd trust it to do enough damage to the head and neck.

I may be on to something here.....
Black Widow PSAX 56#@30.5"

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2016, 10:58:00 PM »
I was good enough for a mid-neck shot once, I can't say that I could rise to the occasion again this year, but I liked the hit or miss with no chance of wounding the bird.  It was the very best shot I have eve made, bar none.  I'll probably use a 200 grain zwickey eskimo again. The head was intact.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2016, 08:04:00 AM »
I've personally been through this dilemma as well.... Hit some Birds exactly where I was aiming and should have resulted in quick humane recoveries, not so... I then went the Magnus Bullhead route so I would either Kill it quick or not wound it, not so.... Had a beautiful mature strutter at 12 yards, I hit him in the crease of the bottom edge of waddles as it was tight to the body in strut. Hit him hard and he ran off. Blood at impact, two bloody bent blades & one broken blade on the bullhead... All day of searching with no recovery. I know the shot may not have been perfect, but it was within 1" or so of my intended spot. A good shot for sure and I wounded that Bird, heart breaking and sad to wound them... I am back to shooting them in the body with a heavy large diameter three blade. 250 Grain 1-1/4" VPA 3-Blade. Turkeys will always be challenging. Practice, practice, practice, and be PATIENT, PATIENT, PATIENT with your shot selection and KNOW the vital anatomy.... String trackers can be useful as well. I certainly can't argue with the success some have with head shot broadheads, but it is not risk free. Just an eyes wide open type of summary. Everyone must choose and have confidence in their setup....

Gobble, Gobble, the time is coming   :goldtooth:

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2016, 08:28:00 AM »
Big Broadhead with a string tracker for me.
T ZZZZ

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2016, 08:55:00 AM »
Kaz:  Good to hear all sides of this issue. My experience has been as others, making what appeared to be "perfectly placed" body shots with less than desirable results.

With the large diameter broadheads (bullheads/guillotines), it seems you would have nearly the same size target shooting for the neck/head as you have on body shots.

I've just been frustrated by the toughness of those birds.

I'm still considering trying the neck/head shots with the broadheads developed for that purpose. Good luck everyone!
WVBA Member

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2016, 10:05:00 AM »
I've never tried a head shot so can't offer any advice on those.   But all the comments about "perfectly placed"  body shots that are not recovered has got me thinking....

My opinion is that if a hit turkey is not recovered then the shot was NOT perfectly placed. I know,  maybe you hit exactly where you intended,  but if your shot didn't put the bird down in fairly short order then I submit that you didn't hit it in the right spot.

For years I subscribed to the commonly related advice of "aim for the wing butt".   And I lost a fair number of birds to what I thought were good solid hits.  

The goodies on a turkey don't lie forward in the body like they do on a deer.  All that's up there is a bunch of breast meat.  Maybe spine if you get lucky.  

Lately I've gotten much better at aiming pretty much straight up the leg.  (obviously compensating for broadside versus quartering angles)  Or even better,  facing straight away.  

Maybe I'm just getting luckier , but since learning better on where to aim my recovery rate has dramatically improved.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©