3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help quiet my MOAB  (Read 910 times)

Offline JR Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
Help quiet my MOAB
« on: February 24, 2016, 07:36:00 PM »
So I just got a new MOAB 55@28 and I draw 28. I shoot 3 under and the bow is tillered for 3 under. Have a tenring Fury string with yarn balls. Shooting axis trad 340 cut to 32 1/4, with a total of 315 grains on the end. Total arrow weight 680 grains. Nock point tuned out at almost 3/4.

My bow is loud. I have tried changing brace height from 6.5 to 7.5 in and it got a bit better about 6 3/4. I am not getting contact with my arrows on the shelf so it isn't that.

The bow is making a loud "TUNNGG" sound. Not sure what else I can try. Very happy with my tune and the bows performance. Of not I did have to twist the string quite a but to get to brace but not excessively so.

Would appreciate any ideas you guys have, different string, different silencers, limbsavers. My arrows are already pretty heavy but am willing to try anything to get this baby quiet.
God Bless

Numunuu

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help quiet my MOAB
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 07:51:00 PM »
Have you tried the silencers at 1/3 and 1/4 from the ends?

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 08:11:00 PM »
Please don't read this the wrong way but I have 6 Moabs and they are all quiet.... none of them are loud in the least bit

I'm not sure if it's your release, your form, your brace height, you're not point or what but it should not be loud at all even without silencers.  MOABS are known to be quiet.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline JR Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 09:14:00 PM »
Terry, that is what has me perplexed. I own another moab and a thunder stick 3 and both of those are death quiet, just haven't figured this one out. Will play with silencers tommorrow and see if that helps. If nothing else I may try adifferent string.
God Bless

Numunuu

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 09:24:00 PM »
A few general suggestions...

nock fit
tuning
your release
silencer type, placement, and amount (leaving cat whiskers too long can add noise)
string material - some bows, for whatever reason, seem to "like" one material over another.  If you try a different type, I suggest BCY-X, 18-20 strands with loops padded to 24.

Offline SL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 09:08:00 AM »
Too much yarn on the string can make a sound like you describe. Smaller silencers will reduce the weight on the string.
M Moab only needed very small silencers.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 09:28:00 AM »
I favor a pair of slightly smaller than golf ball sized rubber whiskers on my bows.  I find that it does a better job at quelling vibration and noise than yarn.  I will only use yarn on a bow that is already very quiet with a bare string.  

LBR nailed it with his list.  Too tight of nocks and a sloppy release will add noise for sure.  Your setup sounds like it should be quiet, but certain bows can be finnicky.  Keep in mind that a bow will always sound louder to the shooter than someone standing 10 feet or more away.  Have a friend stand nearby and evaluate.  To them the bow might be silent.  Work hard to let the string slip off your fingers naturally.  

I have also noticed that not enough as well as too many twists in a string can affect the sound level.  There seems to be a sweet spot in both how much the string is twisted on itself and the brace height.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline JR Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 10:42:00 AM »
Thanks everybody, gonna continue to mess with it today. My yarn puffs are pretty small already but I may try moving them around. Nine worlds I think you may be onto something. I accidentally ordered the string about a half inch too long and currently have several more twists per in than my other Moab, which is unfortunately a 62 so I can't just swap strings.

I will follow up when I get this figured out but I suspect it may be the string.
God Bless

Numunuu

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 10:46:00 AM »
Tight nock fit will cause noise.
T ZZZZ

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 12:07:00 PM »
I tend to agree with Terry...  Both of my MOABs are very quiet.  I am shooting the stock string with just a wool puff at the 1/4 points of the string and my arrows are right over 9 GPP...
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline JR Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2016, 04:26:00 PM »
Yep I agree with Terry also moabs are quiet as I know this one will be once I get it figured out. Today I played with brace height and the yarn ball positioning, I also tried knocks that were very loose but still the loud tung sound. Just ordered a new string for it so hopefully that will quiet it down.

Will follow up in a few days when the string gets here.
God Bless

Numunuu

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2016, 09:01:00 PM »
I can fix your problem, just the bow and weight I was looking for, sell to me and it won't be noisy for you anymore.  lol
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2016, 09:19:00 PM »
As others have mentioned my MOAB is/was the quietest bow ive seen this side of a hickory self bow. I use small Hush puppies on all my bows and heavy arrows. Try a different string,any string to see if that helps. It has been my experience that sometimes a bow doesn't like a particular string or maybe a bad string(from any maker) Ill go so far as to say that the Thunderstick MOAB may be the ultimate design. They are smooooooth,FAST,and ultra quiet.
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline JR Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2016, 10:38:00 PM »
Thanks guys. Gonna try a new string I am confident that has to be what it is. My other Moab is deathly quiet. This one is just telling me she don't like something. Love these bows, in fact I am waiting for Jim to build me another one right now, same specs just a plain Jane version, Osage riser and action boo limbs........you know you gotta have a backup bow!
God Bless

Numunuu

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2016, 06:49:00 AM »
I just had my first experience with a noise issue that turned out to be due to nock fit.  The odd thing is that the same strand count string, with the same serving (material and size) with the same nocks are quiet on my other bows.  For some reason this one bow requires a looser fitting nock fit.

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2016, 08:17:00 AM »
I say toss the string and get one with padded loops,, I have never heard a loud Moab unless there's a problem with one of the limbs which I doubt but it has to be the string,, I want to say it doesn't even matter with the brace height if its that loud string to trash immediately.
"Us vs Them"

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2016, 05:21:00 PM »
Am confident you will accomplish your objective.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2016, 09:13:00 PM »
Good ideas to try another string and to also check your release for hand 'flip out', but if that doesn't help take a look at limb alignment and limb tiller.  

A twisted limb might not show up at normal brace but can get worse as you near full draw...so have someone check it while you draw.  

Bows tillered for three-under often have very low tiller...like 1/8" positive or maybe even tiller on both limbs.  If it measures more than 3/16" positive you might get more noise than expected, especially if there are also other things wrong with your setup.

Hope you find the problem(s).  If all else fails you can always change to quiet split finger.

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2016, 11:39:00 PM »
what TSP said.

Offline Flying Dogg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2016, 12:28:00 PM »
You may want to try a different tab or glove. I have tabs that are too nosy to hunt with as the material is too stiff.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©