3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What is your set up?  (Read 9109 times)

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What is your set up?
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2016, 11:25:00 PM »
bringing this back to the top to see if we have any new set ups.. all of these set ups tell me i am over spined..
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2016, 12:11:00 AM »
Originally posted by DanielB89:
bringing this back to the top to see if we have any new set ups.. all of these set ups tell me i am over spined..
Tuning should tell you if you are overspined or underspined, not what other folks say on the internet!

Bisch

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2016, 06:22:00 AM »
56# Wild Horse Creek Kestrel,Surewood Shafts with 4 blade Zwickeys up front
Terry
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2016, 06:49:00 AM »
A whitetail setup developed on personal experience and the upmost personal confidence.

A setup far from testing the minimum limits. The game we pursue deserve nothing less than our best efforts.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2016, 08:06:00 AM »
I posted back in February which is a long time ago for me      :biglaugh:    so will be using is bow now:

70's 46# SuperMag shooting Beman Centershot 500's tipped with Steelforce Phatheads. (yeah, those aren't the arrows in the picture!)
SWA Spyder

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2016, 08:08:00 AM »
Bear Red Stripe riser with Rose Oak #2 limbs. 50@28 drawing 29.5". POC 60/65s with a Bear Razorhead on the front

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2016, 09:09:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bisch:

Tuning should tell you if you are overspined or underspined, not what other folks say on the internet!

Bisch [/b]
Though I do agree with your statement, Bisch, I also agree with BigJim when he told me, "you aint special".  Little did he know, I am special  ;) .  

I have several friends who have shared their set ups and MANY of them are shooting heavier weight and a way weaker spine.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

Offline modr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2016, 09:19:00 AM »
Schafer,58",60@29, 400 axis FMJ,75brass insert,zwickey,no mercy

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: September 09, 2016, 09:33:00 AM »
Maddog Mountaineer, 64'' long 48@29 w/ full length GT blem 3555's and 200 grain VPA 3 blades.

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: September 09, 2016, 10:09:00 AM »

Originally posted by Bisch:

Bisch [/b]
Though I do agree with your statement, Bisch, I also agree with BigJim when he told me, "you aint special".  Little did he know, I am special   ;)  .  

I have several friends who have shared their set ups and MANY of them are shooting heavier weight and a way weaker spine. [/b]
My friend, you have to remember there are many variables in tuning along with the fact that people take tuning to many different levels. Some folks call their set-up good when the field point hits where they are looking and that is it, works for some.

Here is an example; I shoot a 43lb Black Widow Longbow with 400 GT's with 125 grain up front, those are the facts. Another fact this set-up shoots bullet holes in paper and bare shaft tunes perfect.

At first glance you may be thinking bullet holes my azz, but lets throw in a few more variables. I have a 30.5 inch draw, GT's are 32.5", arrows have 50 grain brass inserts, I use a great string. Well, you get the picture this set-up ends up at 15% FOC and 10 GPP.

It really all boils down to your set-up along with your form while turning. Like mentioned tuning is different for different people. I have been called a tuning nerd, heck I can't shoot worth a darn I might as well be good at something archery related.  :)

Offline Bearded Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: September 09, 2016, 11:07:00 AM »
Enjoyed seeing all these Setups! This will be my second season deer hunting with trad tackle...last year I came very close but was busted at the last second! Anyway, here is what I have for this season:
Bear Grizzly 50# @ 28"-- I draw 28.5"
400 Spine Gold Tip Full length (32") arrows with 165grain Zwickey No Mercy Single Bevel BH's and 4" parabolic feathers. 18.75 FOC according to the Grizzly Stik calculator

I want a heavier arrow setup, but these fly perfect, and I cant afford more stuff right now!

I have been reading this forum for quite a while now, but this is my first post...thanks to all who spread their knowledge here...its been a big help!
And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. Gen. 21:20

Online JakeD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: September 09, 2016, 11:21:00 AM »
I'm shooting my black widow pch v ( 56" 52@28) with sitka spruce arrows and 155 grain grizzlys on the business end. The arrows are 70-75 spine and fly beautifully. I'm ready to make the maiden voyage to the tree with it.
Black Widow PCH V 56" 52@28

Offline Mitch Edwards

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2016, 11:43:00 AM »
I'm shootin a Bear Super Kodiak 60" 61# at 28.5" sbd string gt 340 blems with 300 up front. Arrow weight of about 640gns. Will be huntin deer with Magnus 1s and 145gn snuffers. hope that's enough for white tails lol

Offline Mike Faith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2016, 11:57:00 AM »
55# 58" Great Northern 'Lil Creep, surewood douglas fir 50-55#, 160 grain stos up front. 600 grain total weight and wicked quiet!! Can't wait to hit the woods this year...
focusing on the problem is not a solution-anonymous

Offline Lady Frost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2016, 12:05:00 PM »
1972 LH Bear Patriot 66"-35#, 28-29" draw length.  Warrior carbons with what looks like will be 140 grain broadheads w/ inserts.  Had 2 that Kennym gave me, my arrow flies pretty well with them, gotta go buy some more and do some more practicing, my first real hunting trip is in 2 weeks! Gonna wear my dad's flannel, gonna be thinking about him as always.

My cup runneth over

Traditional Bowhunters of GA
North GA Traditional Archery Club
South GA Traditional Archery and Primitive Skills Club

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2016, 12:18:00 PM »
I am hunting this year with a LH recurve.  Ebony handle with black glass limbs Tall Tines Curve (Great shooting bows!).  Glove on hand, 58 pounds @ 26.75 DL, 28.5" 2216 with inserts for glue on BH (like a swadged arrow), VPA 190 grain BH, 3 x 4.70 Flex Fletch vanes, homemade toothbrush arrow rest, modified (homebrew) EW Bateman hood with Great Northern gripper Bow Quiver, 12 strand string (standard TT bowstring), wool puff silencers.  This year my method is to stay on the ground and hunt from natural brush blinds and still hunt when conditions lend themselves to that.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Lady Frost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2016, 12:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by Sam McMichael:
Following my shoulder surgery, things have gone better than expected. I am back shooting my regular bows again. I am trying to work in a new Northern Mist Shelton in yew. It is 68" long and pulls 53# at 28". I only pull 25", so it likes light arrows. I prefer long arrows, so 29" cedar with 50/55 spine and 125 grain points are working pretty well. I am also working with 55/60 spine fir shafts and can't quite decide which I like better.
I am so happy to hear that, Sam!!  Good luck this season!
My cup runneth over

Traditional Bowhunters of GA
North GA Traditional Archery Club
South GA Traditional Archery and Primitive Skills Club

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2019, 03:58:33 PM »
anyone else have an update to their set up? 

Offline littlejohn59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2019, 06:14:14 PM »
Blackwidow plx 66" #53@29
full length poc 570g. #65-70, 125g point,

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: April 10, 2019, 06:41:29 PM »