3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do animals see fluorescent fletchings?  (Read 2148 times)

Online Bullchaser1

• Trad Bowhunter
Do animals see fluorescent fletchings?
« on: February 25, 2016, 12:12:00 PM »
I've enjoyed fletching my own arrows for many years. I like to change up the colors, and I do like bright colors for following the arrow. When it comes time for hunting season I usually tone down the colors. I guess I'm worried a mature buck may pick up on the fluorescent colors. Any experiences either way with this?
60” Widow PsaIII 63#
58” Widow PchX  62#

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do animals see fluorescent fletchings?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 12:14:00 PM »
Nope, just take a black and white photo to see what they look like.  I love all white, but they look very bright in black and white, the florescent usually look Grey and disappear.

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 12:18:00 PM »
Deer won't, but if you hunt Turkeys you better cover them up!  Heck Turkeys will pick up snake skins on your bow!  They don't like snakes much!
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 12:26:00 PM »
My brother has been using fluorescent chartreuse feathers for years.  Has never had a problem.  He does hunt mostly from trees, though.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 12:59:00 PM »
A question that comes to my mind. If certain camo clothes give off light why not bright feathers?

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 01:27:00 PM »
Don't know...but I've always been of the consensus that they would have no reason to take exception to my fletchings if they weren't obsessed with trying to figure out what that human smell coming from my directions was, lol!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 01:44:00 PM »
you know, I have asked tons of deer at the local zoo and not one of them have given me an answer yet!  Rude if you ask me!   ;)
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline northern lights

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 01:58:00 PM »
Love white fletchings for following shot, but when you get 3 or so in a quiver  think that any movement looks a lot like a tail and they'll pick up on it.
Now we're digging where the taters are.

Offline mlsthmpsn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 03:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by M60gunner:
A question that comes to my mind. If certain camo clothes give off light why not bright feathers?
The phenomena you are thinking of is not visible light, like colors we perceive as "bright". It's the reflection of UV light....and this has more to do with the material properties and brighteners than any specific color. Cotton glows and so do a lot of synthetic materials, especially when washed with brighteners.

Colors are just different wavelengths, and so is UV. We see colors because the pigments absorb all the other wavelengths and reflect the ones we can perceive with the Cones in our eyes....and this absorption/reflection depends on the properties of the object in question.

Now, some feathers are actually designed to reflect UV light like reflective tape and a flashlight. This is because birds can see very well in both color and UV wavelengths, and use these patches of UV-reflective feathers for mating rituals, communication, etc.

Here's what a Saw-whet Owl wing looks like to us:

And to other birds:

I know that natural turkey wings do not reflect UV at all. However, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the artificial barred feather materials do reflect UV.....quick search found these images.

Natural Turkey (left) and TrueFlight:  Yellow, Artificial Barred, and White

Hope that helps,
MT
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Save me, O God! For the waters have come up to my neck. - Psalm 69:1

Online Bullchaser1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 03:32:00 PM »
I agree all white fletchings look awesome, but too bright when stacked in my quiver. Not trying to get too in depth in fletching color, but I guess my question was more with fluorescent glowing. Like they sell that uv clothing wash so there is no uv glow. Not sure if the uv "glow" was real. I know, this winter lull makes you think of weird things sometimes!
60” Widow PsaIII 63#
58” Widow PchX  62#

Online Bullchaser1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2016, 03:35:00 PM »
Just saw your post MT. Thanks that's pretty cool.
60” Widow PsaIII 63#
58” Widow PchX  62#

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2016, 04:26:00 PM »
The cocker spaniel that I had, that knew more about canoe tripping and rabbits than most people do, hated fluorescent yellow.  He always ripped the feathers off and then bring my arrow back.   I had to tie him up when I was shooting at me targets.   Once my buddy shot a rabbit, my little dog raced forward, tore all of the yellow feathers off his arrows while fiercely growling, brought him his arrow and then went back and got the rabbit.  My buddy laughed so hard that he thought he gave himself a hernia.  Turkeys don't like arrows either, I missed a turkey with one with chartreuse feathers, and stuck it in a tree.  The next turkey came along and attacked my arrow and bent it.  I got him.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2016, 05:13:00 PM »
Yeah birds can see them and they don't even have to be that bright, I don't worry about deer and such, I've heard bears can see colors but I don't know that for sure
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Snow Crow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2016, 07:13:00 PM »
MT,  Great info!

Can confirm "glowing" of artificially barred feathers under black light (the white, not the bars).  No glow for wild turkey or TF pink; TF chartreuse glow like a beacon.
Wanted:  Crow willing to fly into my arrow.  Blind, deaf and dumb preferred.  Mute a bonus.  One wing would be good.  No legs.  With vertigo...

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2016, 07:37:00 PM »
Thanks for the pics. That is what I have been thinking of. But natural feathers, no dye, makes sense as well. Critters have "natural" camo which should not reflect UV light.
When I lived back in IL. we did not use white on purpose. White feathers had been mistaken for a Whitetail Deer's tail and arrows loosened at guys. One reason white feathers and back quivers were not in style in IL. and WI. back then. Be safe.

Offline mlsthmpsn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2016, 08:49:00 PM »
As an addendum on all this.... Until such time that we have sufficient technology to plug our brains into the eyes of animals or otherwise pull images from their brains directly... What we think they see are just educated guesses.

We could be way off the mark, but I tend to think that we are probably way under the bar.

In tests with food rewards, I've seen that deer seem to see blue and UV pretty well....so at the very least stay away from jeans.
MT
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Save me, O God! For the waters have come up to my neck. - Psalm 69:1

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2016, 08:51:00 PM »
I have been using FLO fletchings since the 70's.  I have never felt they caused a deer to spoke and since then I have kill well over a 100 deer with archery equipment.
T ZZZZ

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2016, 09:51:00 PM »
Heck no....been using flo  feathers for ever....use bow quivers and fletch cover....hunt off the ground a lot....feather color and the size I use is the least of my worries.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2016, 10:06:00 PM »
If the feathers get you busted you were screwed to begin with.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2016, 11:18:00 PM »
My standard hunting arrow is chartreuse 4 fletch on a white crown.  It has never seemed to be an issue in a tree.  I never got busted on the ground either, but had some concerns so started using a fletch cover.  I always use the cover now but don't know that it is really necessary.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©