3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Feathers weaken or stiffen  (Read 798 times)

Offline acollins

• Trad Bowhunter
Feathers weaken or stiffen
« on: February 27, 2016, 10:08:00 AM »
I am in the process of bare shaft tuning. When I add feathers will it stiffen or weaken the shaft. Is it enough to worry about.

Offline Car54

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Feathers weaken or stiffen
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 10:14:00 AM »
I have always read "stiffen".

Offline Pryor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 10:30:00 AM »
Just got done tuning some 1535's to a 40# recurve.  Bare shafting with 150 grn points was barely weak.  Put feathers on and paper tuned, and shot bullet holes.
Learn to work, and you can learn to do anything.

Offline acollins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 10:59:00 AM »
Thank you. That's where I am at right now. Mine are just a hair weak. I was trying to decide if I shout cut them or not. So I think I will fletch them up and see how they shoot.

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 12:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by acollins:
Thank you. That's where I am at right now. Mine are just a hair weak. I was trying to decide if I shout cut them or not. So I think I will fletch them up and see how they shoot.
Leave at least one bare shaft, comparing bare shaft to your fletched arrows is what tells you what is going on with your arrow tuning.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 01:23:00 PM »
I like to add a masking tape wrap to match the weight of the missing feathers on my bareshafts. Might as well come as close as possible.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline acedoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 01:27:00 PM »
Any weight on nock end should stiffen spine as per what I understand.  Glad to know what others have experienced
Toelke SS recurve
Toelke Whip
Sky Wildfire ilf with foam carbon xxl limbs

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 01:29:00 PM »
I like to keep a bare shaft of all the arrows I shoot.  After I've shot the arrows for a while, usually the feathers on one of them will become tattered.  Rather than refletching that one, I trim the feathers down to the quill and it becomes my bare shaft. Then I fletch the bare shaft I started with. Having a quill and glue makes for a more accurate bare shaft than a completely bare shaft.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline jhk1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2016, 01:34:00 PM »
I could be wrong, but I think it's the drag caused by the feathers (more than the weight of the feathers) that result in the fletched shaft acting stiffer than the bare shaft.

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2016, 06:38:00 PM »
Stiffens.

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2016, 07:32:00 PM »
I use electrical tape. Weight on the back always stiffens to me.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Offline acedoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2016, 12:52:00 AM »
I ran into some tuning issues due to a long draw and heavy bh. One of the options I came up with was to add wt to nock end. Apparently small increments at nock lead to large tuning changes
Toelke SS recurve
Toelke Whip
Sky Wildfire ilf with foam carbon xxl limbs

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2016, 01:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by acedoc:
I ran into some tuning issues due to a long draw and heavy bh. One of the options I came up with was to add wt to nock end. Apparently small increments at nock lead to large tuning changes
That's correct, about a 2/1 ratio.  In other words, 20 extra grains on the back stiffens the spine about as much as 40 grains on the front weakens the dynamic arrow spine.  Gold Tip has rear adapters that are made for the purpose.  I have used them with good results.

That said, I think I'm about the only one who likes them, so YMMV.  Other people have complained about the effect on arrow stability and from a hunting perspective, the effect of weight on the rear is contrary to the positive benefits of EFOC.  In other words, weight up front helps with penetration.  Weight in back might help too, if you have a perfectly straight hit.  If you have an angled hit, weight in the back might actually retard penetration by bending the arrow more in the direction of the angle.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©