3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Self bow bowyers names?  (Read 529 times)

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
Self bow bowyers names?
« on: February 29, 2016, 11:17:00 AM »
Looking at picking up a simple self bow. Yes, I know I can build one with a little bit of research and some simple tools. My first retirement is only a few years away and I plan on it at that point, but for now I'd like to find one thats already built. I'm not really too much into charector bows, like snakey style, or elaborate paint schemes. Just a simple longbow, about 50# at 27". Anyone known of someone who builds them at a reasonable price? Maybe like a side gig or anything? I'm going to duplicate this post in the bowyers bench as well, understanding that its probably out of place in one spot or another.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Self bow bowyers names?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 01:21:00 PM »
Arvin Weaver is top notch.   :thumbsup:

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 01:28:00 PM »
John Strunk is very well known on the West Coast.  It isn't a sideline for him, and his bows aren't cheap, maybe $400-$600 range, but the quality is excellent.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online fishone

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 01:50:00 PM »
Pearl Drums!

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 02:02:00 PM »
Arvin Weaver, James Rempp and Ryan Gill all have good reputations.

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 02:21:00 PM »
James Rempp... I actually wrote him on facebook but he had a post mentioning some computer issues. I'll look into the other names as well, thanks guys!
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 02:52:00 PM »
Ted Fry at Raptor (sponsor) makes some beauties, but they are spendy.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline KSshrewman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 04:10:00 PM »
Ryan Gill @ gillsprimativearchery.
I have a snakey from him and it's sweet!
Shrew Classic Hunter
Javaman Elkheart
Javaman Helms Deep
Gill Snakey Self
Ben Pearson Colt
Swiftriver

PSALM 5:3  At Daybreak Lord,You Hear My Voice

Member "Kansas Coffey Club"

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 04:13:00 PM »
WOW Pat, You weren't kidding about the $ for a Ted Fry bows! I just looked at his prices.    :eek:  They're purdy tho!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 04:18:00 PM »
You get what you for. And believe me guys, its not just looks your paying for. Self bows can look much alike and behave totally different than each other. Guys like Ted and John sell bows that not only look gorgeous, but shoot as good as any bow. I think the goods ones from these guys start around $550 and go up from there. As they should.

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 05:17:00 PM »
I fully believe that there's $500+ self bows, and that they deserve such a price tag. But like many things, my truck, my current long bows, etc. there's just some things to dream about and other things that I can afford, haha. I will continue to search for a serviceable and affordable self bow. Thank you guys for all of your help!! The mountain seems to be a bit taller now that im standing at the foot of it...
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 06:10:00 PM »
If you can find yourself a used selfbow made by the late Ed Scott, you will not be disappointed. I'm still kicking myself in the arse for letting mine go.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 06:36:00 PM »
This has been educational on just the first day! Haha. So.... At first glance the new self bow enthusiast has a couple options. Option #1: Go "all in" and get a custom or semi-custom bow built by an artisan that is every bit the looker and performer that a modern composite bow is (and maybe more so, depending on your vantage point). Option #2: A guy who lives in a basement and likely whittled a piece of lumber into the general shape of a bow, a bow that will likely explode in your face before the paypal transaction hits your bank statement. Because I'm a stubborn dreamer, I'll keep looking for Option #3: The wild card, where stars align and the ghost's of Pope, Young, Thompson and the like direct the hands of fate. Rushing the matter won't likely end with favorable results, and all this talk is causing my Wesley to start one of her attitudes. But(!), the info here is good info, and I always like generating conversation about less beaten paths like self bows and such. As always, you're all top notch!
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2016, 06:43:00 PM »
Ryan Gill. I have number 104. It's a great shooting osage bow and a real beauty.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2016, 08:13:00 PM »
Pine hollow longbows another Sponser, Mike Yancey has many bows to choose from. Finished, kits, do it your self, Osage or white wood bows he teaches classes to people from all around the world how to make selfbows and sells how to video's of his making.

Mike and Edd Scott were very good friends and he has written dozens of articles in multiple magazines about building and hunting with selfbows. Do your self a favor and check into Mike too and don't be afraid to call him, very good guy and willing to help anybody.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2016, 08:19:00 PM »
I am a huge John Strunk and James Rempp fan.  James can build you whatever you want, I'm sure he could get you a simple bow that wouldn't break the bank.  His work and John's elevates the selfbow to an art piece.  Ryan Gill also could help you, as could a number of Tradgangers right here, one with the initials PD comes to mind  ;)
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2016, 08:32:00 PM »
More great leads. I have to say, sometimes there's a whole galaxy right under your nose. That's how reading into all of this seems. I never really gave TOO much thought to the self bow realm. Enlightening to say the least.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2016, 08:34:00 PM »
Mark Baker, and Walt Francis, both members on here. Not so much set up in the business of building selfbows, but both of them build a great bow.
Thanks,
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2016, 08:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by longbow fanatic 1:
Arvin Weaver, James Rempp and Ryan Gill all have good reputations.
Bingo! I have an Arvin Weaver selfbow. It is top notch!

Bisch

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2016, 09:34:00 PM »
How about Carson Brown-Echo Archery

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©