3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wasp Sharpshooter broadhead  (Read 766 times)

Offline RodL

• Trad Bowhunter
Wasp Sharpshooter broadhead
« on: February 29, 2016, 09:52:00 PM »
Any opinions on this broadhead, I tried a search but didn't come up with much.  The "1 cutting diameter seems a little small to me for a traditional head but I guess if you hit the animal where you are suppose to it will do the job. Any other opinions?

Rodney

Offline kiamichi kid

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wasp Sharpshooter broadhead
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 12:24:00 PM »
Im sure they would work but I have never tried them... But at that price point and cutting diameter I would go with a proven performer with a warranty like the Magnus stinger. That is, unless you caught the Wasp at a really good price.
For me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. Phil. 1:21

Online doubleo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 10:06:00 PM »
I shot 2 deer using them this year! They fly good and I got good penetration! The sharpshooters are tough little 4 blade heads!
Wisconsin Traditional Archers Member

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 12:06:00 AM »
Too light for me.....not enough hardware....better choices, many to be truthful.

saw a comment "mack truck" broadhead....
at 100 grains not sure that's a mack truck compared to most trad heads...how about the 310 grain Big Jim?....there's your mac truck!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline ScottinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 07:55:00 AM »
I have some 150gr Sharpshooters on the way to try out over the summer.  Price was better than both the Stingers and Woodsmans I currently use.
"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline scbowhnter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 06:31:00 PM »
Hey guys,

Wasp is kinda our sister company to Montana Decoy and I got to help work on the Sharp Shooter Traditional heads some.

And yep, there are a lot of heads out there and everyone has their favorite head or favorite specs they look for. Nothing wrong with that.

I feel the Sharpshooters are accurate, sharp and penetrate very well for me.

I've personally killed deer, turkey and an elk and it worked really well for me. I like the replaceable blades (maybe I'm lazy) And I like that it's all steel. And I like that it's made in the USA at the same Wasp Factory that's been building Wasp heads since the 70's. Not too many stories like that around. But certainly there are other broad heads that share similar stories.

It weights 150 grains which fits my set up well and if you ever had a problem with them they will take care of you.

So that's my 2 cents worth on them. Certainly you can say I'm biased and I wouldn't argue that.

RodL, since you started the thread, if you'll send me your address I'll send you a couple of mine and you can play with them for free and see what you think.

Thanks for reading.
CJ

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 07:40:00 PM »
CJ....

must have missed the 150 grain ones....all I saw were 100s....

what it that I read about 6 bleeders?....3 blade?...I was on my phone when I looked them up and maybe that's my problem....

didn't know anything about 150 grains but I do dismiss anything in the 100 grains weight as too little metal for me....yep...posting from my phone again

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline scbowhnter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 08:04:00 PM »
No worries Terry. They do make a 100 Grain as well but the 150 is the Sharp Shooter Trad.

Not sure where the 3 or 6 came from. The Trad us a 2 blade with 2 individual bleeders to make it a 4 blade…It can be shot without the bleeders as well. Just lowers the weight.

And that's probably way more info that you wanted……
CJ

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 08:17:00 PM »
thanks CJ....I do use 150 grainers on occasion. ...muzzy/steel force...so these at 150s would fit that bill.....I do like the distance between the tip and furrel....good design.

Offline RodL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 07:09:00 PM »
Thanks CJ, I will take you up on that offer, I sent you a PM. Another reason this site and its members are the greatest!!!

Rodney

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2016, 10:13:00 AM »
So...Rod, did you get to try any of those Wasp broadheads yet?  I picked some up from CJ that he graciously offered for this spring's St Jude auction and have shot them to see how they fly. I have found that they fly super good for me and I intend to kill a couple of deer with them this fall and I'll report back if I connect.  Good Hunting...    :archer2:

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2016, 10:23:00 AM »
Looked at the pictures.  They look a lot like the old Hoyt Bow Bullets.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2016, 11:23:00 AM »
Hopefully, I will get to add to this thread with a story of actual experience after this weekend. Got some wasps in my quiver, and going pig hunting!

Bisch

Offline RodL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2016, 09:55:00 PM »
They shoot great out of my setup, our deer season is open in Maryland, hopefully it will cool down so I can get out and try them out on some whitetails.

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2016, 10:35:00 PM »
Anyone remember the old Wasps from the 70s with the green aluminum ferrule and the two rotating rings that secured the blades. Haven't shot a Wasp since but those were some killin boogers!

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2016, 06:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by Possum Head:
Anyone remember the old Wasps from the 70s with the green aluminum ferrule and the two rotating rings that secured the blades. Haven't shot a Wasp since but those were some killin boogers!
Yep, sure do!  I killed more deer in the late 70s with those broadheads than all other broadheads combined since then.  I did however hunt harder and much more often back then..  Hated fiddlin' with those replacement razer inserts tho.

Offline ESP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2017, 05:14:00 PM »
Anyone with any more experience with the 150 head?

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2017, 02:04:00 AM »
I shot two deer with the original 3 blade Wasps.  On one, a blade broke off in the hide, one was just gone,(rib) and about a third of the remaining blade stayed intact and went through the bucks heart.  Kind of a way too long of a shot, but it was on.  On the second, twoblades broke off on rib contact, I saw the arrow whip on contact. One full blade remained to go through the lungs.  Hills, Hunter's Heads and for a couple of years Magnus 160s and Deltas.  I get the Hills both single bevel and double bevel sharper than the original Wasps were after of couple of weeks of air and humidity. You cannot run your finger on the Hills without bleeding, I could on the old Wasps.

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2017, 08:05:00 AM »
I have now shot 4 critters with the 150gr Wasp heads. 2 whitetails, 1 axis, and 1 pig. The heads performed great, and I will be using them in the future as well.

Bisch

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©