3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 138829 times)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #10100 on: August 03, 2012, 09:16:00 PM »
 better check with Miller. it was my understanding that Schulz only taught him how to make the bamboo backed bows, not the glassed bows. I heard that he learned to make the glassed bows by studying John's bows, not by actual instruction from John. I'm sure if you ask, he will tell you.  
David has been making glassed bows for over 35 years and probably knows as much about the craft as anyone today.
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

« Reply #10101 on: August 04, 2012, 12:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by khardrunner:
Mac, you build whatever type you want.

millerlongbow.com/default.cfm?id=125
Khard,

With great interest I spoke with Dave a couple months back about this.  Ready to sigh up...HA!

He told me that class was not for the bows we are talking about here but was (my words here) a simple, all wood build.  

Now could be he changed his mind but, thinking he is busy as a one-armed paper hanger these days....

Somebody can ask him to clarify

« Reply #10102 on: August 04, 2012, 12:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by Macatawa:

Originally posted by Ron LaClair:

.....the "lobe" on the pinkie side should not be on the handle at all. If you put too much of that pinkie side lobe on the handle you will pressure the bow to turn INTO the arrow and the arrow will have to pass around the riser that is blocking it. The life line between the two "lobes" should be centered on the grip and pressure should be on that point only. If the pressure is more on the thumb lobe then the bow will stay in line or if it does turn it will turn AWAY from the arrow allowing it to pass cleanly.   [/b]
LOL Ron!  

Try as I might, I cannot connect the dots. The lobes escape me.      :archer:  [/b]
Ron, I was serious about my post....I hope to meet up with you at GLLI and you can show me what you were trying to describe here.

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10103 on: August 04, 2012, 12:37:00 PM »
I'll take your word for it then. Gotta find a building genious to show me how it's done someday. When I retire from teaching, I want to do this for real, for fun, and maybe for a little money if that can be had.
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10104 on: August 04, 2012, 12:59:00 PM »
Khard....look up Frank SanMarco...he's over in your neck of the woods, he's a teacher, and he's building again...you two might have much in common

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10105 on: August 04, 2012, 01:16:00 PM »
Delete please
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10106 on: August 04, 2012, 01:35:00 PM »
Delete please
"River from above"

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10107 on: August 04, 2012, 03:13:00 PM »
A buddy of mine and I are working on turning part of his steel pole building into a shop. He has a lot of machining experience and we are planning to start building for fun soon. Someday though we are hoping to sit under a master builder to really learn how its done.
I Corinthians 9 24-25

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10108 on: August 04, 2012, 04:24:00 PM »
[/QB][/QUOTE] Someday though we are hoping to sit under a master builder to really learn how its done. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Kyle-
If I was going to learn to build bows, I would take a class from Dave Miller. From talking to Dave on the phone and seeing his work, I'm sure it would be money well spent.
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

« Reply #10109 on: August 04, 2012, 06:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by tradlongbow:
Someday though we are hoping to sit under a master builder to really learn how its done. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Kyle-
If I was going to learn to build bows, I would take a class from Dave Miller. From talking to Dave on the phone and seeing his work, I'm sure it would be money well spent. [/QB][/QUOTE]

X2 Darren.  

I was just wondering who will take the Schultz split bamboo and CC/CV to the successive generations?  I'm not a youngster....and fell in love with this HH/Schultz thing a year ago.

I know Nate can and does do that with the glassed bows...as busy as he is. He has not had the privilege of study under John Schultz as David has done.

My favorite two longbows (so far) are truly brothers, one made by David Miller (Old Tom) and the other is a Sunset Hill.  Depending on the day, either one can be my favorite but the two, together, are the cream of the crop.

Waiting on a Split Bamboo - I think that'll be just dandy...   :thumbsup:

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10110 on: August 04, 2012, 06:34:00 PM »
Im a relative youngin, but with that comes a lack of cash flow. I'll be saving up to get to sit under some of these guys if they are willing.
I Corinthians 9 24-25

Offline xbmedic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10111 on: August 04, 2012, 06:37:00 PM »
I talked to my wife about being able to go to learn from David Miller when I finish my Masters at the end of December 2013. She is all for it, so I am saving my money for the post graduation trip.
Al Braun
Hilo, HI

« Reply #10112 on: August 04, 2012, 07:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by xbmedic:
I talked to my wife about being able to go to learn from David Miller when I finish my Masters at the end of December 2013. She is all for it, so I am saving my money for the post graduation trip.
Originally posted by xbmedic:
Go for it fellas!     :thumbsup:  

I'll get in line....   :p

Offline DWilhelm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10113 on: August 04, 2012, 07:42:00 PM »
There seems to be a lot of talk about certain bowyers being trained directly from John Schulz and others that were not.  My question is, what is the real difference in tillering between say a Schulz influenced bow and say a Craig Ekin bow?  I have studied tillering (Traditional Bowyers Bibles, Hunting the Osage Bow etc.) and built several self bows and know that tillering is bringing the curve of the drawn limb into an even arc.  If the drawn bow have similar looking curves in their limbs, are they not tillered similar?

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10114 on: August 04, 2012, 07:47:00 PM »
I can't answer your question, but I do know from experience that both my Schulz built bow and my Ekin built (and refinished) bow shot extremely well. There was a tillering and alignment issue with the Ekin bow that was causing it to shoot terribly. I sent it to Craig and he had it fixed in a week. I would say both were built by great builders and excellent craftsman. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from either.
I Corinthians 9 24-25

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10115 on: August 04, 2012, 07:56:00 PM »
Delete please.
"River from above"

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10116 on: August 04, 2012, 08:41:00 PM »
I have heard the Shultz tillers a glass lam bow similar to the way you would a self bow, and some others tiller by the taper in the lams during the glue up process.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10117 on: August 05, 2012, 12:24:00 AM »
Finally got a copy of Swinehart's "In Africa" to go along with "sagittarius"....great pictorial.  I did not realize how much game Swinehart shot with the Deadhead broadhead...lots of stuff.  Appears he used the Hill head for the dangerous game.  I guess nowadays the Ace Super Express is about the same size...

He shot  alot of bows with black backs and white bellies too. That look is coming back....I wish he was still around.  A great longbowman for sure that gets forgotten alot because of his untimely demise.

Offline toddster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10118 on: August 05, 2012, 12:31:00 AM »
I agree Nate, I sure wish Swinehart was still around and/or had more pics and/or movies of him.  From what I understand quite the Protege of Mr. Hill and one hell of a shot.  Like you

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10119 on: August 05, 2012, 01:27:00 AM »
Oh no not me that's sure

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©