3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 138814 times)

Offline Jacquesbonin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #10140 on: August 06, 2012, 10:54:00 AM »
Well Gang, thanks to Darren for posting the pictures of the the modified Howard Hill broadheads. Note the picture of both modified and the original Hill broadheads side by side. First notice on the original the ferrule stops short of where the Magnus ferrule ends, giving more strength to the head. Next notice how slim the modified head is on the 5/16ths carbon arrow, I used the small diameter shaft to show how small the ferrule and combination are. Next I would like to point out, before installing blade into the ferrule, sharpen the head razor sharp, there are many methods of doing this, it is your choice, however I use a cratex large wheel and buffing rouge on a large fast moving buffing wheel. Using light srokes back and forth, turning head to keep things even, until satisfied with the edge! Next to this is most important, I use a black magic marker to color the whole blade, especially the sharpened edges, as this helps prevent the rust from starting. then it is instaledd in the Magnus ferrule, Now this for me is absolute, I install the whole assembly so the blade is inline with the string when arrow is nocked,I am an instinctive shooter, if the broadhead is mounted horizontal and the sunlight hits it, my eye is drawn to the broadhead and off the the intended spot I want to hit! Note that using the black marker it covers the trailing edge of broadhead, so that at full draw the thin black line is not visible or distracting from my spot, I am going to hit. My focus is uninterupted by the flash of the broadhead in sunlight. Well guys the you have my rendition of a Howard Hill broadhead for carbons and aluminum alike. Also note the trailing edge of blade is approximately 1 inch longer than the ferrule, so you will have to have your arrows 1 inch longer, so you will have finger clearance between back of bow and the trailing edge of broadheads. This make this set up so strong and wont twist while in use on game animals large and small. Good luck, shoot straight,Jacques

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10141 on: August 06, 2012, 11:17:00 AM »
I agree. I'm currently shooting over two hours a day and have a blister on my index finger and numberness on my middle finger from shooting so much.... I'm always interested to hear about new techniques to improve my abilities though.

4 years in I feel like I'm doing pretty good with this level of dedication but still have a lot of new discoveries to make....
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10142 on: August 06, 2012, 11:30:00 AM »
Get that bow at anchor and let that bow arm stack'em in there.

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10143 on: August 06, 2012, 01:59:00 PM »
Reason for the various bow cants....

keeping everything in proper alignment, string hand, bowhand, bow, head, all for a normal 30 yard shot would be about 25 - 30 degree angle.  Arrows basically fly up and away from the bow shelf.(basicall up/down and side/side).  The farther the shot, the the more of a blending between the up/down and side/side so that it seems we are pointing our hand at what we want to hit.  Close shots require holding the bowhand low and to the side if our shooting alignment stays the same.

canting the bow for close shots basically takes away the side/side calculations, because side/side becomes more up/down. This makes you more accurate for close shots because there is less for your brain to calculate.  You also tilt your head more down on the arrow for close shots which helps accuracy because the eye is closer to the arrow.

For downhill and uphill shots, you must tilt the body at the waist to match the degree of angle you are shooting.  This keeps everything in proper alignment.  Shooting drastically down from a treestand requires exagerrated canting and body tilt to get the proper alignment of eye over the arrow, just as in shooting up at a grouse or lion in a tree means you have to exagerrate the body lean back.  Don't just swing the bowarm up or down for the shot, lean the whole upper body and these shots become easy and consistent

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10144 on: August 06, 2012, 03:20:00 PM »
Try this one on for size. For we are bound to "get it right."
  "Disregard the bow!"   Disregard the sight window,   Disregard your hand, eye, cant, face, sky etc.. etc... and just line up the arrow with the target!   Because these bows are cut way before center the top limb is gonna be off to the side, but the arrow, the thing that does the real work, is pointing right at the target.  
    You might be happy with what happens when you actually point the arrow in line with the target? Hit too high?? bring it down a little next time.
      When you start to see that arrow in your peripheral vision you just may start painting them white. Makes it even faster to notice.

« Reply #10145 on: August 06, 2012, 06:10:00 PM »
haha
a swamp for sure.
i need a vacation.
   :(

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10146 on: August 06, 2012, 07:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by swampthing:
When you start to see that arrow in your peripheral vision you just may start painting them white. Makes it even faster to notice.
I started painting mine all white with red feathers last year, they're my favorite arrows  :)
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10147 on: August 06, 2012, 08:55:00 PM »
I don't know Howard nor could I tell you it IS the right way, just try it and see if it works for you.
 Get that bow out of your vision, just swing draw up and keep that shaft pointing at the target.
  These are bows are cut way before center, so when you do this it may seem as your bow is pointed too much to the right, the bow is, the arrow is dead on, send it.

:archer2:

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10148 on: August 07, 2012, 08:17:00 AM »
I have a few shots of a Northern Mist bow that Steve built, it has The deep, dark Green glass on the back and white glass on the belly that Bob liked on his bows.
The green almost looks black and one of the pics has a side by side to compare.
When Steve had his green glass made a few years back,I had him build me a "Swinehart Special"
It is a Classic with Boo core, babinga riser,green glass back and white glass belly.  Just like the bows Bob shot. Right down to the way the glass runs over the belly of the grip,that was typical of that period.
Steve is a big Swinehart fan and has built bows like this for 25 years. With White bellies and what he calls his retro handles.
 Although the new green is lighter in color, the "Swinehart special" is one sweet bow to look at and shoot. Now if I could just find me a beligerent buffalo to face off with....
Pics of the Swinehart Green,

C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10149 on: August 07, 2012, 08:39:00 AM »
Chuck ..... I want one !!!!!!!

beautiful mate ! seriously ... it ain't often I go all ga ga over a bow but that one is just sweet as they come ...and Mr Swinehart is my archery 'hero' ......

thanks again for posting a pic of it !
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10150 on: August 07, 2012, 08:56:00 AM »
Right on Ben,
Later today I will get some pics up of my  new Swinehart Classic. It is one of my favorite bows.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10151 on: August 07, 2012, 12:50:00 PM »
Mighty purdy eh Ben.I want one too. Steves supposed to build me another Classic in October. Can I get a copy of yours Chuck? Plus Steves bows shoot oh so good. I also love Steves straight grips.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10152 on: August 07, 2012, 01:04:00 PM »
Oh,man, you just HAD to go and post those pictures didn't you?    :saywhat:    :D
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10153 on: August 07, 2012, 01:17:00 PM »
David and David, I will be back soon with some pics of the New Swinehart Special. It has the new green glass that Steve uses. Very nice.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

~ Francis Chan

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10154 on: August 07, 2012, 01:23:00 PM »
That's almost the exact bow I was ordering from Steve. His straight grip is the best in the business ( for me). His green glass is gorgeous too. 66" sheltone 53@27 green glass, boo core straight grip.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10155 on: August 07, 2012, 02:29:00 PM »
HillGang-

I was searching for info on Jerry Hill today so I could invite him to our hunt. During my search I came across this ad. For only $38,000 you can live on 1 Howard Hill Dr. in Wilsonville, Al. Heck, it might come with shooting lessons:)

PROPERTY DETAILS - MLS #513586
Price: $ 38,000
1 HOWARD HILL DR
WILSONVILLE , AL   35186

Type: Lots and Land
Subdivision: HOMESTEAD
Acreage: 1
Home Style: n/a
0 Bedrooms
0 Full Baths - 0 Half Baths
Year Built: n/a

Schools:
Elementary: WILSONVILLE
Middle: COLUMBIANA
High: SHELBY COUNTY
Darren

[email protected]

Howard Hill

Offline bicster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10156 on: August 07, 2012, 06:47:00 PM »
I love that green and white glass combo. I have a Shakespeare Necedah with dark green glass. I didn't think anyone offered it.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10157 on: August 07, 2012, 07:18:00 PM »
I wanna move.
Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10158 on: August 07, 2012, 07:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by Killdeer:
I wanna move.
Killdeer
:biglaugh:  Me too
Darren

[email protected]

Howard Hill

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10159 on: August 07, 2012, 07:24:00 PM »
  PROPERTY DETAILS - MLS #513586 Price: $ 38,000 1 HOWARD HILL DR WILSONVILLE , AL 35186  

Type: Lots and Land Subdivision: HOMESTEAD Acreage: 1 Home Style: n/a 0 Bedrooms 0 Full Baths - 0 Half Baths Year Built: n/a

Schools: Elementary: WILSONVILLE Middle: COLUMBIANA High: SHELBY COUNTY

This is a group from the World Longbow Championship  shoot in Wilsonville Alabama in 1981. Jerry and his dad borrowed a church bus and took us all on a tour of Howard's birthplace and some of the places that he lived in the area, including this his last home on Howard Hill drive where we all posed on the front porch. Jerry is in the center next to Mrs Ben Pearson who is holding a white purse. John Lee is the big guy in the light blue polo shirt

This is what was left of Howard's target butt in his yard. The support post were rotting and crumbling, I put a piece of the wood in the bottom of my back quiver for luck.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©