3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 138795 times)

Offline C.Cannon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #10180 on: August 08, 2012, 11:41:00 AM »
yeah It does look pretty short, and skinny too even by Hill's standards.

I think I would be pretty scared to bring one of my 70+ pound, one piece bamboo bows underwater; Because I would probably be bringing back up a two piece   :scared:

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10181 on: August 08, 2012, 11:45:00 AM »
That guy who let him shoot a plum or whatever it is off of his head had to be insane! With a broadhead no less. Can't believe they actually did stuff like that.  Yeah, I know it was a different time but that was still just nuts!
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline toddster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10182 on: August 08, 2012, 12:13:00 PM »
Ok, here is one for you fellow Howard addicts.  We talked about form, style, bow's, arrows, broaheads, the Man and his protege's.  What about his clothes?  We know howard wore no Camo, and wool plaids like we do now, but what about the khaki and white pants, Filson?

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10183 on: August 08, 2012, 12:20:00 PM »
When I did shooting demonstrations I would tell the story of Howard shooting apples off of peoples heads. I would ask for volunteers to come up and let me shoot an apple off their head. Once in awhile someone would step forward to volunteer. I would tell them that I needed a practice shot first and then put an apple on a Styrofoam wig form. Then I would shoot the styrofoam bust right between the eyes..    :scared:  I'd say, I missed that time but I think I've got it now. Believe it or not once in a while they'd still want to go through with it...I guess there are people that crazy.   :biglaugh:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline kestimator

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10184 on: August 08, 2012, 12:27:00 PM »
Great story Mr. LaClair!!  :)  LOL!!
Have a nice day!
Kevin

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10185 on: August 08, 2012, 12:47:00 PM »
I have always thought that the fella with the wig on may have had a metal hat on under it.  Just speculation on my point.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

« Reply #10186 on: August 08, 2012, 12:58:00 PM »
We shot apples, four of them fell out of my tree, off of a fellow nick named Silver Slim this week end, from 18 yards and the apples were small,m about the size of apricots.  I nicked it a few times and punctured two. My son thought he was going to make me look bad, but I stayed right with him. Slim didn't do as well, I am afraid he took a few hits and is a couple of inches shorter.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10187 on: August 08, 2012, 01:02:00 PM »
Ron, that's so funny!  Also, it was nice chatting with you this past weekend!

I WAS speaking of that bow, Blue Duck.  Cool bow!

Your explanation makes sense and, of  course I didn't draw it, just checked it out and I noticed how thin it was and fondled it. You are right that I don't grab the handle, and I just was trying to imagine what that bow would feel like on the shot and why they aren't made that way anymore???

I will be seeing one of the shrewhill bows this weekend and am exctited to shoot it and get a feel for that style of limb. Unfortunately I'll be shooting a lefty!

It sounded like your Miller longbow shot well for you, what is the difference in feel that you perceive from the Blue Duck or the shrewhill?

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10188 on: August 08, 2012, 02:36:00 PM »
Hey Matt how deep is that Swinehart grip? Those N.M. Classics sure are sweet. I can't wait to get another. Do you have any pics of yours?....Dave
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10189 on: August 08, 2012, 02:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by ChrisM:
I have always thought that the fella with the wig on may have had a metal hat on under it.  Just speculation on my point.
Chris-

You're correct, I read somewhere that the wig had a metal plate under it.
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10190 on: August 08, 2012, 02:54:00 PM »
Seeing as the arrow kind of glances off the top of his head,I'd say there's a metal plate under the wig!  :eek:

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10191 on: August 08, 2012, 05:32:00 PM »
This is my "Swinehart Special"
Built in 2010 by Steve Turay of Northern Mist Longbows.
68" Classic
57#@30"
4 lams of bamboo
Babinga riser with retro grip @ 2" deep
Green glass back
White glass belly
I hope you like it,I know I do.

Sorry for the dark pictures,not sure what happend there as the sun is bright today.

CTT
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10192 on: August 08, 2012, 05:41:00 PM »
Ok, I still have about 25 pages of catching up to do, you guys were busy during the month of July!

However, I did just get off the phone with Mr. Miller and had to share.  I've been toying with the idea for awhile, and some of the posts back about page 650 pushed me a bit further.  My new goal is to make it out to Indiana for his class that he's offering.  We talked for about a half hour or so, and by the end I was ready to get in the car and head out straight away.

Perhaps a little further down the road makes more sense though....  Plus, I'll need to sell this one to the wife big time.  But sometime in the next year I hope to pull this off.  I figure that's not much different than getting on his waiting list anyhow.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

« Reply #10193 on: August 08, 2012, 05:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by Two Tracks:
This is my "Swinehart Special"
Built in 2010 by Steve Turay of Northern Mist Longbows.
68" Classic
57#@30"
4 lams of bamboo
Babinga riser with retro grip @ 2" deep
Green glass back
White glass belly
I hope you like it,I know I do.

Sorry for the dark pictures,not sure what happend there as the sun is bright today.

CTT
Chuck, Nice one!

You mentioned a green glass that was very dark....almost black.  Your bow looks to have his standard NM Green.

Offline cody94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10194 on: August 08, 2012, 05:57:00 PM »
just wanted to put a post on here since there are 10,000 others.
OH BOY IS THIS GREAT!

« Reply #10195 on: August 08, 2012, 06:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ron LaClair:
When I did shooting demonstrations I would tell the story of Howard shooting apples off of peoples heads. I would ask for volunteers to come up and let me shoot an apple off their head. Once in awhile someone would step forward to volunteer. I would tell them that I needed a practice shot first and then put an apple on a Styrofoam wig form. Then I would shoot the styrofoam bust right between the eyes..     :scared:   I'd say, I missed that time but I think I've got it now. Believe it or not once in a while they'd still want to go through with it...I guess there are people that crazy.    :biglaugh:  
I have watched Byron Ferguson do his thing three times....he does that in his shows.  It's really funny to see some folks "graciously" decline.

Online Sant-Ravenhill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10196 on: August 08, 2012, 06:03:00 PM »
Two Tracks it almost looks like one continuous piece of white fiberglass on the belly. Or is it just the leather covering the riser?

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10197 on: August 08, 2012, 06:41:00 PM »
 I have watched Byron Ferguson do his thing three times....he does that in his shows. It's really funny to see some folks "graciously" decline.  
During Bryon's routine he shoots with his foot. He started doing that after I told him about breaking my bow arm years ago and hunting by shooting my bow with my foot. He usually relays that story when he does his foot shot.
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10198 on: August 08, 2012, 06:42:00 PM »
Wow I like that Chuck!
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Jacquesbonin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10199 on: August 08, 2012, 07:07:00 PM »
Well gang, I would like it if the powers to be could put all the pertinent data that was offered by the various Hill enthusiast in the recent past. the articles on the grip, handles, the shooting form and the methods of use. If it where to be organized one after the other, I think it would be of great value to all the Hill enthusiast, beginners and old timers alike! I for one would like to see this done! Thanks to all,Jacques

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©