3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 138782 times)

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #10220 on: August 09, 2012, 09:32:00 PM »
Longbows are just fun!!!

Longbows & Short Shots

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10221 on: August 09, 2012, 10:07:00 PM »
Jeff-

I Natalie's form is very good, just like her old mans.
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10222 on: August 09, 2012, 10:08:00 PM »
Right there with ya Jeff

Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline xbmedic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10223 on: August 09, 2012, 10:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by swampthing:
I don't know how long the A&H ACS CX has been around?? But  Howard had his own ideas in 1939!

http://www.google.com/patents?id=y0ZAAAAAEBAJ&pg=PA1&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=2#v=onepage&q&f=false  
Swampthing, I posted a question about this on the bowyers bench the other day. I think that this is an awesome bow design.
Al Braun
Hilo, HI

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10224 on: August 09, 2012, 11:03:00 PM »
Way to get the kids involved . I just bought my 3y/0 a bow ( shhh. It's a recurve) Max is getting a maddog LB for his birthday in march
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Ralphie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10225 on: August 09, 2012, 11:15:00 PM »
"Time behind the bow will get you closer to the mark then time thinking about it."

+1
Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire.

Offline Ralphie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10226 on: August 09, 2012, 11:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by ChrisM:
I have always thought that the fella with the wig on may have had a metal hat on under it.  Just speculation on my point.
if you are talking about the Medieval fellow with the pageboy haircut .... he was a Hollywood stuntman, and under the hair, ... (it was a wig), he had a steel cap/bowl.

That's what I heard, anyway.........

Howard Hill could shoot a broomstick!
Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire.

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10227 on: August 10, 2012, 12:13:00 AM »
Swamp, the belly of the A&H is concave..

« Reply #10228 on: August 10, 2012, 04:33:00 AM »
Originally posted by xbmedic:

Originally posted by swampthing:
I don't know how long the A&H ACS CX has been around?? But  Howard had his own ideas in 1939!

http://www.google.com/patents?id=y0ZAAAAAEBAJ&pg=PA1&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=2#v=onepage&q&f=false  
Swampthing, I posted a question about this on the bowyers bench the other day. I think that this is an awesome bow design. [/b]
Al, yes it is an awesome design.  Very efficient.  It tool O.L. a couple years to dial it in but he got it done.  I was with him on a Whitetail hunt in Oklahoma when he explained to me his ACS theory.  We drove back to Roswell and built the first prototype form.  

O.L. built my first t/d longbow in 2003.  Prior to meeting him I was a 'curve guy.

Comparing that design to our passion here on the HHBUG thread is like apples to oranges.  

It's all good.    :thumbsup:

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10229 on: August 10, 2012, 05:56:00 AM »
[/qb][/QUOTE]if you are talking about the Medieval fellow with the pageboy haircut .... he was a Hollywood stuntman, [/QB][/QUOTE]

I think I remember reading it was one of the Wilhelm brothers.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10230 on: August 10, 2012, 06:51:00 AM »
Originally posted by Overspined:

Hey Dave, here's the Turay's Swinehart grip with clear glass. Actually, it's the same shape, but doesn't have the glass up the whole belly. I just wanted the shape.  It's 2" deep with leather and 1 1/5" wide.
Matt, Steve does not call that the Swinehart Grip. He calls it his Retro Grip,He started building that grip a number of years ago to depict the Hill grips from a period of time back in the late 50's early 60's (I think I got the time period right)  The Swinehart Designation is in the color. See you this weekend.
CTT
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10231 on: August 10, 2012, 11:31:00 AM »
Splitting hairs Chuck?  He seemed to use the terms interchangeably when I ordered it...I was checking out the bow he had and I just said make it like this!  I will try to update the lingo to keep up with you.     :D    I suggest you hide that pretty bow at GLLI

That pic is aweful of my bow.  I think I'll repost some. It's a beautiful bow.

Here's a good one

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10232 on: August 10, 2012, 01:17:00 PM »
Those are some nice looking bows guys! Really like that white and green glass combo.... very cool.

Thanks to Jesse, Nate and others who offered some insight to me on bow cant a few days back. I've been doing some experimenting and it has really improved my shooting now that I've figured out the angle that the bow (and my eye) needs to get it right. Much easier to do split vision aiming at closer ranges with the arrow closer to the eye as well....
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline Muss03

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10233 on: August 10, 2012, 02:09:00 PM »
Sense this is a HH thread I will post this here rather than start a new thread. I have been attempting to tune my new to me Half Breed. It is 70" long and 51 @ 28. I have the brace height at 6.5 inches. I am having fits trying to tune Gold tip 500 spine carbons to this bow, which should be about right for the bow from what I understand. The only thing I have in aluminum is 2117 which is way to stiff, even with 200 grains up front. I suppose I will be purchasing some new arrows. Does anyone have a similar setup and if so, what do you use? Thanks fellas

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10234 on: August 10, 2012, 02:14:00 PM »
What is your draw?
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10235 on: August 10, 2012, 02:36:00 PM »
Muss03, a few guys like them, but carbons from a Hill bow are touchy. I would guess most use wood or aluminum. I would choose your broadhead and let us know your true draw length, point weight, string type, SF or backset, and you'll get an arrow combo or two that should work from this thread.

Offline Looper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10236 on: August 10, 2012, 03:04:00 PM »
I posted some pics in another thread, but thought I'd add a few here, too.

Here are three Hills. A Shrew Hill, 70", 55#@30";  a Hill Cheetah, 70", 50#@28"; and a Hill Halfbreed, 69", 45#@29".

Offline Muss03

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10237 on: August 10, 2012, 03:36:00 PM »
Thanks Looper, I really like that Cheetah BTW. My draw is 28" I have always shot Magnus 125 gr 2 blade broadheads out of my recurves. I would be open to trying whatever works best with the bow, be it aluminum, wood, heavy or light broadheads. I believe the bow is just a standard Half Breed longbow with the stock string and a locator grip. Thanks again for the help

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10238 on: August 10, 2012, 04:05:00 PM »
Mactawa, Howard's design calls for concave/convex limbs. A/H website shows concave on the back in their CAD pic like a tape measure, but apparently the concave is on the belly side, as mention by someone else, and if it is, it is just like Howard's patented design from the late 30's. After all, the bows are called, a "Hill Bow."

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10239 on: August 10, 2012, 04:37:00 PM »
I have seen the A and H (actually the one my buddy had was an Adcock, and the concave (indented, curved portion only a few inches on the outer ends of the limbs) is indeed on the belly side.  Would not work at all if the limbs were concave on the back...least I can't imagine that working.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©