3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 138783 times)

Offline Looper

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #10240 on: August 10, 2012, 05:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by Muss03:
Thanks Looper, I really like that Cheetah BTW. My draw is 28" I have always shot Magnus 125 gr 2 blade broadheads out of my recurves. I would be open to trying whatever works best with the bow, be it aluminum, wood, heavy or light broadheads. I believe the bow is just a standard Half Breed longbow with the stock string and a locator grip. Thanks again for the help
You should be able to use some 45-50 or 50-55 spine wood shafts with your Halfbreed.  If you wanted to go with carbons, the Arrow Dynamics shafts are fantastic.  I've had no problem at all getting them to fly perfectly out of my Hills.

Whatever you choose, it would be well worth your time to get a test kit of shafts. That way you'll know for certain what works for you.

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10241 on: August 10, 2012, 05:33:00 PM »
Hey Swamp ----

I shot the A&H bows for several years (before I became a Hill convert, lol) and still have a couple of sets of limbs and a riser.  One of these days I need to move them out to make room for another Hill style bow !!!  But the concave portion of the limbs that I have is on the belly side..
                       Good shooting

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10242 on: August 10, 2012, 05:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by Muss03:
Sense this is a HH thread I will post this here rather than start a new thread. I have been attempting to tune my new to me Half Breed. It is 70" long and 51 @ 28. I have the brace height at 6.5 inches. I am having fits trying to tune Gold tip 500 spine carbons to this bow, which should be about right for the bow from what I understand. The only thing I have in aluminum is 2117 which is way to stiff, even with 200 grains up front. I suppose I will be purchasing some new arrows. Does anyone have a similar setup and if so, what do you use? Thanks fellas
I have a Dave Johnson backset 66" 49@28 that shoots full legth GT trad 35/55s well with 145gr up front, standard insert, and 1" (12gr) 2117 footing. I had irratic flight occasionally, which I attributed to the nock fit to string. I heated the Bohning signature nocks and opened up the nocks to fit more loosely on the string. Groups tightened up nicely.

It also shoots 30.5" bop 2016 Legacys well with standard inserts and 200gr up front. I use older Mercury nocks on the 2016s.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

« Reply #10243 on: August 10, 2012, 05:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by swampthing:
Mactawa, Howard's design calls for concave/convex limbs. A/H website shows concave on the back in their CAD pic like a tape measure, but apparently the concave is on the belly side, as mention by someone else, and if it is, it is just like Howard's patented design from the late 30's. After all, the bows are called, a "Hill Bow."
Swamp,LOL!
   :archer:

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10244 on: August 10, 2012, 07:08:00 PM »
This one is going to be delivered to it's new owner tomorrow at the GLLI. Shrew Hill, 66" 44#@ 27" bamboo core, yew limb veneers, curly myrtlewood riser. I shot it today, it's sweet...and whisper quiet.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10245 on: August 10, 2012, 07:10:00 PM »
Oooooh, I sure like the looks of that one!
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10246 on: August 10, 2012, 07:59:00 PM »
Macatowa, No prob here, just trying to clarify. Times its hard to understand some of your points of view over text.
 Nice bow Ron, is that a power lam under the riser??

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10247 on: August 10, 2012, 09:16:00 PM »
Good eye Jesse..     :cool:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10248 on: August 10, 2012, 10:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ron LaClair:

Good eye Jesse..      :cool:  [/b]
Power lam??  Ok Ron, please explain!   :dunno:

Offline kestimator

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10249 on: August 10, 2012, 11:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ron LaClair:
This one is going to be delivered to it's new owner tomorrow at the GLLI. Shrew Hill, 66" 44#@ 27" bamboo core, yew limb veneers, curly myrtlewood riser. I shot it today, it's sweet...and whisper quiet.

OMGosh!!!!
That's one sweet looking bow!!!! Totally in my specs!!!  As Napoleon Dynamite would say "Luckeeeeeee"!!  :)
Have a nice day!
Kevin

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10250 on: August 11, 2012, 12:13:00 AM »
As Napoleon Dynamite would say "Luckeeeeeee"!!   :)  [/QB][/QUOTE]

"bowhunting skills , nun chuck skills " .......
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Ron Roehrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10251 on: August 11, 2012, 04:38:00 PM »
Ron thats a great looking Hill style longbow great classic lines and shape,if they perform as good as they look you have a winner. Ron.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10252 on: August 11, 2012, 05:16:00 PM »
Nice looking bows, yall.
 I have decided to trade my Belcher Union Jack away. the grip is a touch too deep for my little girly hands (no offence I hope Killdeer) The standard Northern Mist grip fits me better. The Union Jack measured about 2 1/16 deep the NM was 1 7/8 roughly. So its up in the classifieds if anyone here has another Hill style bow that they would like to trade for it. I need something to fit my hands.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Owlmagnet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10253 on: August 11, 2012, 06:09:00 PM »
Brian, I have small hands as well, but I kind of went the other way with Hill grips. I've been experimenting with making them thinner and deeper in an attempt to find a repeatable straight grip. I've had the best luck so far with a thin, deep wedge that rides my lifeline, while the center pads of my fingers press the back of the bow into my hand. (It's that "suitcase" grip that Mr Hill talked about.)

I have been gluing strips of leather to the back of my straight grips to build up depth, and then sanding them down to that narrow wedge. My current Wesley Specials have been modified to a 1" X 2-3/16" wedge and a 1" X 2-1/4" wedge. I am awaiting the arrival of a Tembo which has been ordered with a 1" X 2-3/8" wedge grip.

I will be happy to post my impressions of this experiment after a rigorous field test and evaluation.

By the way, if you are a shepherd, small, strong hands are a tangible asset when it is time to pull lambs! They also apply more energy to a specific target, (due to their reduced surface area), with each punch. They are also of great benefit when circumstances require the use of a Gov't issued Colt M-1911-A1, .45 ACP, with an, as issued, short trigger. Experience, in all of the above, has taught me not to fret too much about having small hands; they aren't necessarily "girlish"!!!

Good luck,
Bob

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10254 on: August 11, 2012, 06:54:00 PM »
The hands do help with my SA 1911. My glock 21 I had to make some adjustments on. I'm sure I could learn it, but no matter what I have tried I cannot love the big grip like the ones you explained. I have been spoiled by the narrow , not so deep NM grip.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Hawken1911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10255 on: August 11, 2012, 07:13:00 PM »
I had the pleasure of seeing Ron and the Shrew Hill he posted pictures of at the GLLI today.  The pictures don't do it jusice.  It is a stunning bow!
ST. HUBERT'S RANGERS, Brotherhood of the Medieval Hunt.
MICHIGAN LONGBOW ASSOCIATION
Scott Spears Osage English longbow,50#@28"

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10256 on: August 11, 2012, 07:20:00 PM »
The Shrew Hill got delivered today at the GLLI, Louie Lucido was the recipient. I shot around the coarse this afternoon with Louie. His bow that I named "Red Eagle" has very slim limbs but it's a stable bow, very quick and Louie shot it very well.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10257 on: August 11, 2012, 07:29:00 PM »
I shot my David Miller "Tonkin" bow and I was pleased with how well it shot.

VERY pleased.

Offline Looper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10258 on: August 11, 2012, 07:50:00 PM »
I'm really liking my Shrew Hill. It shoots a 60-65 sure wood with a 160 grain point very nicely.  Those arrows weigh around 650 grains.

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10259 on: August 12, 2012, 09:15:00 AM »
My Dave Johnson red cedar longbow is about ready for the finishing touches. Dave set me a couple of pics before the finish goes on.

Myrtle riser, red cedar limbs with the classic looking black glass back and white glass on the belly. A red pigskin leather grip will be added after the spraying. It is built in Oklahoma and named "Tahlequah" in honor of the Oklahoma capital of the Cherokee Nation and the birthplace of my beautiful bride of 32 years.
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©