3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 138767 times)

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #10260 on: August 12, 2012, 09:25:00 AM »
More pics when you can Ric. She's lookin' nice. That myrtle grain looks good too.

I'm enjoying my Dave Johnson very much.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10261 on: August 12, 2012, 10:50:00 AM »
This thread strikes again...Ok, I finally gave in and am trying a shorter draw.  

I had been drawing 29 to 29-1/2 legitimately.  Of course, I anchor with my thumb behind my ear if that helps explain it.  You guys talked about going shorter when you switch to a Hill, but I found my 30" arrows were starting to see the field tips on the shelf.  

My accuracy with the Hill style improved when I switched full time to the Tembo at the end of February.  I was going with the "find what works for YOU" philosophy.  (I naturally draw as I swing up the bow at least.)

But shooting in a bow I made for someone else last week, I had to short draw it to only 28".  I ended up anchoring with my fingers on my mouth.  I was surprisingly accurate with it.  Ruined the back end of several arrows.  This isn't the first time I've had this experience short drawing with someone else's bow.  

So I've decided to try it full time.  It's a weird adjustment to make.  And I'm a little leary doing it with only weeks 'til the season opens here.  But I think the arrow ends up under my eye better which makes everything line up a bit better even if the anchor doesn't feel right and takes more concentration than I would like.  It will take time for it to become second nature.

And while I'm at it, I think I'm going to remove the side plate.  Kind of works in the right direction for my current arrows at a shorter draw.  I didn't put a side plate on the swap bow either.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10262 on: August 12, 2012, 12:13:00 PM »
I found that canting the bow over to get that arrow lined up under your eye yeilded instant improvement as well. I had been shooting my Hills like my R/D bow and not allowing for the fact that they weren't cut to centre. A more pronounce cant really tightened upmy left/right misses.

I think your new shooting style will become second nature very quickly and will (hopefully) pay dividends when the season opens. Good luck!
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10263 on: August 12, 2012, 02:57:00 PM »
Tahlequah? That reminds me of one of my favorite movies of all time. "Where the Red fern grows"
That is where Billy sneeked off to pick-up Dan and Little Ann. You going to Talequah Danny?

Danny
Congrats on the new bow, They are superb.And so is Dave.
Congrats on the 32yrs, get 32 more.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10264 on: August 12, 2012, 03:49:00 PM »
A whole lot of good water has passed under this bridge since I last posted on here.

Please forgive the absence and allow me to slip back into this place that still embodies the love I have for tradition bows but more importantly you folks that I care for the most.

I shot my bow this past week for the 1st time in a long time.

It looks like I have some reading to do in order to catch up.

God bless you folks!

His servant, Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10265 on: August 12, 2012, 04:10:00 PM »
Welcome home my friend. Grab a cup and sit a spell. You've been sorely missed.

Danny
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10266 on: August 12, 2012, 04:35:00 PM »
Glad you're back, Muddster!  :thumbsup:    :campfire:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10267 on: August 12, 2012, 05:00:00 PM »
Hey Mudd, good to see you posting again!
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline limbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10268 on: August 12, 2012, 05:12:00 PM »
Welcome back Mudd,you've been missed.  :wavey:

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10269 on: August 12, 2012, 05:25:00 PM »
Welcome back Mudd. Sure have missed you!....Dave
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10270 on: August 12, 2012, 05:40:00 PM »
Welcome back , Mudd
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10271 on: August 12, 2012, 05:40:00 PM »
Welcome back Mudd.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10272 on: August 12, 2012, 06:05:00 PM »
Hey MUDD, I wondered where you went.  You missed a lot of good bows in the Classifieds!!     :archer:   welcome back!

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10273 on: August 12, 2012, 06:20:00 PM »
I shot Red Eagle, Louis' Shrewhill Ron featured a page back.

It's a really sweet looking bow, and shoots dead quiet! If you like the thin, wedge grips, and want a bow modeled like one of Hill's personal bows, get in line!  

Louis has been known to have a few bows (understatement) and he gave it very high marks as a custom bow.

Ron, if you see this, what's the limb profile? Straight? Reflex?  I didn't see it unstrung.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10274 on: August 12, 2012, 06:34:00 PM »
Matt, the bow is straight, when it's unstrung it shows string follow but it goes back to straight.

I enjoyed shooting with you and your Dad and especially Eric Westbrook, Eric and I go back a lot of years.... Keep working on that bow grip...   :campfire:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

« Reply #10275 on: August 12, 2012, 06:51:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Overspined:
Hey MUDD, I wondered where you went.  You missed a lot of good bows in the Classifieds!!         :thumbsup:    

....got to play with his new hill style offering and shot his new Northern Mist "Swineheart Special"  Lots of fun.

Chuck's "hill" is a keeper for sure!  SWEET shooter - I have a couple pics to post later.

I was able meet Eric "Westbrook" just before we had to take off.  Can't wait 'till next year.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10276 on: August 12, 2012, 06:58:00 PM »
Hey Tony, I got a chance to shoot Chuck's Hill-style bow and the "Swinehart Special" this weekend too!  I've never been able to shoot or enjoy Hill bows until I shot those two. I'm even thinking of going over to the dark side and getting me one!
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

« Reply #10277 on: August 12, 2012, 07:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by owlbait:
Hey Toni, I got a chance to shoot Chuck's Hill-style bow and the "Swinehart Special" this weekend too!  I've never been able to shoot or enjoy Hill bows until I shot those two. I'm even thinking of going over to the dark side and getting me one!
Mike,
Believe me, it just gets better over time....especially if you can start your "dark side" experience with sweet shooting bows.

Today is the first time I was able to see/hold/shoot a Northern Mist.  Chuck's new bow had very similar shooting characteristics as the NM.  The major difference was the limb core.  Chuck's bow was built with walnut lams and the NM had a bamboo core.  Both bows were timed nicely.

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10278 on: August 12, 2012, 07:22:00 PM »
Stringfollow is nice, but man 3" of backset get's an arrow down range!

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10279 on: August 12, 2012, 07:27:00 PM »
Hey Matt (overspined) how did our group picture turn out on your camera?, this is from my camera...Matt on my left, his dad Mike on my right and Eric Westbrook on the far left...just coming off the coarse at the GLLI today.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©