3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 138766 times)

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #10280 on: August 12, 2012, 07:40:00 PM »
Neat bow Jesse! What are the details?
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

« Reply #10281 on: August 12, 2012, 07:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by Sticksnstones:

It was great to see a bunch of you guys this weekend, and I'm glad to finally meet you Tony! A few of you guys came right through and I didn't associate you with your TG handle (Matt/Overspined) but I'm sure glad you let me check out those amazing D bows anyway!  

Thom,
It was great to see you for two fleeting moments..HA!

You were a busy guy for sure.  It was nice to meet you too.  Hopefully next time we'll be able to do some shooting.
    :archer2:

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10282 on: August 12, 2012, 08:01:00 PM »
50# 68" Miller. Been listening to the older guys and dropped weight, a bit. Funny though, 3" of backset and a fast flight string lobs 550g-600g shafts hard enough that trees at 50 yards require a fair amount of wiggling to get the shaft out.   :cool:

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10283 on: August 12, 2012, 08:04:00 PM »
Any shock?
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10284 on: August 12, 2012, 08:19:00 PM »
How do you find the weight reduction? Is it straight from Dave or used?
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10285 on: August 12, 2012, 08:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by Two Tracks:
This is my "Swinehart Special"
Built in 2010 by Steve Turay of Northern Mist Longbows.
68" Classic
57#@30"
4 lams of bamboo
Babinga riser with retro grip @ 2" deep
Green glass back
White glass belly
I hope you like it,I know I do.

Sorry for the dark pictures,not sure what happend there as the sun is bright today.

CTT
Well thank you Chuck!!!! Steve has not even finished my second bow yet and now you post these pics making me want yet another. I have not owned one yet but I really like the looks of white glass on the belly of a bow.
What a beautiful bow!!!

Offline louislucido

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10286 on: August 12, 2012, 08:26:00 PM »
I'm the new owner of the Shrew Hill (Louis Lucido). I have to say this is a very sweet shooting bow. I have been a traditional shooter for over 25 years; killing more than 50 big game! Any of you Hill Fans need to get yourself one; I can't say enough about the slim limbs and perfect Hill Handle. What a Sweet Shooter!  

Thanks Ron!

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10287 on: August 12, 2012, 08:32:00 PM »
Only shock is how far that bow throws an arrow! Now it does not shoot like an all wood bow, but, it does not thump any harder than a glass bow with more moderate backset. My 48# Kramer built, Hill Big 5 w/1.25" backset is rougher in the hand than this one.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10288 on: August 12, 2012, 08:32:00 PM »
A Great day with some Great friends! We even made a couple nice shots.

I almost didnt go because today was the only day I had and it was a short one closing down at 1:00. I spent more time behind the wheel than behind he bow...but it was worth it!

Ron Ol'buddy     :thumbsup:  You handled that 75# bow like a young feller  ;)  

Matt, ya got my wheels turnin on that Elk hunt..gotta make it happen.

Tony, hopefully next time we'll be able to shoot a few, nice to meet ya.

Today was just too short!

Eric

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10289 on: August 12, 2012, 09:54:00 PM »
I'm somewhat late to the dance on this topic (well, really late I guess). I've never had a Hill type bow, always various longbows and hybrid longbows, but in the last few months have came into possession of two of what I would call Hill type bows. One just yesterday. We had an older gentleman who shot at our club for a while some years back and all we ever knew him to shoot were selfbows. Unbeknownst to most of us he made some glass bows back in the day. The first one I saw was a straight limbed Hill type with a somewhat locator type grip. 55# @28.Good shootin' old bow. The one I bought yesterday is an r/d bow with a straight Hill grip. The straight grip is new to me so it will take some getting used to.Doubt I have enough days left on this earth to read all 10,000 plus posts on the subject but will glean what I can.
 Oh, and a shout out to Mudd. Don't know if you remember me Roy but you coined the term "NADS" (Natural Archery DevoteeS) for a bunch of us at one of the early Mojams. Got us up early every morning to the shout of "Wake you Nads, time to shoot " Good times.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10290 on: August 12, 2012, 10:21:00 PM »
Yes Tim I do remember you.  

My shouting you guys (NADS)out never got me in as much trouble as yodeling up the sun each morning at the top of the hill did....lol

Glad you're enjoying the spirit of the longbow these days.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10291 on: August 12, 2012, 11:24:00 PM »
Hey Steve A, you know I have a 68" Classic, and I shot Chuck's 68" Classic this weekend. I'll tell you that for us guys with big hands, that Bob Swinehart setup is the cat's meow! You gotta ask Steve T to show you his bow next time you see him!

I'm glad that "Not For Sale" sticker didn't come off Chuck's other Hill bow this weekend, it could have turned into "bazookas at ten paces" sort of deal real quick.

It was great to see a bunch of you guys this weekend, and I'm glad to finally meet you Tony! A few of you guys came right through and I didn't associate you with your TG handle (Matt/Overspined) but I'm sure glad you let me check out those amazing D bows anyway!

Mudd, your name came up today in conversation and I'm really glad to see your post!
Thom

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10292 on: August 12, 2012, 11:53:00 PM »
Mudd,
Glad to see you back Brother. You were starting to worry me.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10293 on: August 13, 2012, 12:27:00 AM »
Muddster,so good to see you back on line Ol' friend.Lots of fellas here sure taking to these Hill style bows,got a new one myself a short while ago. A Westley special,68",60#@28",shes a beaut and loves to be shot.Like I said Welcome back!
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10294 on: August 13, 2012, 07:29:00 AM »
Mudd, glad you're back.

Yodeling up the sun?  It's things like that which make me hate morning people....    :coffee:     :biglaugh:
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10295 on: August 13, 2012, 08:36:00 AM »
Originally posted by BowHunterGA:
"Well thank you Chuck!!!! Steve has not even finished my second bow yet and now you post these pics making me want yet another. I have not owned one yet but I really like the looks of white glass on the belly of a bow.
What a beautiful bow!!!"
-------------------------------------------------
Hey Steve, No problem brother. I would do anything for a friend.    :)    
The Swinehart wood/glass combo and the RETRO handle are a nice looking set up and you know how they shoot.
How have you been Steve?
Hows you kiddo shooting?
CTT
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10296 on: August 13, 2012, 10:59:00 AM »
HEY!!!  I want to give a shout out to one of our brothers ...Ben Mahr.

Ben won one of the "Robin Hood" hats in the St Jude auction but when I asked him for his mailing address, here was his reply:

" Can you do me a favor .... when you make the "hat" could you pass it on to someone new to our "longbow" circle ? Its a bunch of $$$ to send to Oz ... and I now that you often deal with other archers , newbies etc and help show them the 'real way ' we longbowmen do things ... I am sure soon enough that you'll know of , or maybe meet a newbie who'll need a hat ..... and your just the man to make it .... then maybe next year when I come Stateside ... you and I might shake hands in person , fling a few arra's .......Blessing and happiness to you my brother"

They just don't come any better... IMHO

If your new to these "Hill/Hill" style bows and would like to wear Ben's hat just send me a pm or e-mail by August 20th. I'll put the names in that very same hat and draw a winner.

God bless,Mudd

PS: Thanks Ben! 1st of all letting me be a "mate", 2ndly for your support of the children, and for sharing your caring with all of us.
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10297 on: August 13, 2012, 05:16:00 PM »
Ben is a class act. He is the first person to take the time and explain hill bows to me and has been very receptive to all questions I have emailed him. This does not surprise me that he did this. Good job Ben
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10298 on: August 13, 2012, 06:23:00 PM »
Hey! I want to meet Ben too!!
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

« Reply #10299 on: August 13, 2012, 06:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by Brianlocal3:
Ben is a class act. He is the first person to take the time and explain hill bows to me and has been very receptive to all questions I have emailed him. This does not surprise me that he did this. Good job Ben
Yep!  Ben's a good'un for sure   :campfire:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©