3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 138759 times)

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #10300 on: August 13, 2012, 07:46:00 PM »
Flinttim, if you need help with the aspects of a straight grip, post it here!  
I was just lucky enough to shoot with Ron LaClaire and got a little one on one instruction (and ribbing   :D ) this weekend. The learning curve is quick with good instruction! He and Westbrook (Eric) are great archers.

I agree with you Eric, a lot of driving for a short day of shooting. We were just warmed up! Next year I'll be there camping, or at least for the whole day Saturday. I didn't know they closed down at 12 sundays. It is always a great time to see all the fellow Trad shooters get together though.  

Thom, I didn't put you and your handle together either.  I know who you are now though!  You were checking out my Johnson (longbow that is)    :p

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10301 on: August 13, 2012, 08:03:00 PM »
 Flinttim, if you need help with the aspects of a straight grip, post it here! I was just lucky enough to shoot with Ron LaClair and got a little one on one instruction (and ribbing [Big Grin] ) this weekend. The learning curve is quick with good instruction! He and Westbrook (Eric) are great archers.  
Matt, I was glad I could help with the hand placement problem you were having. Sorry that I had to keep reminding you when you didn't get it right. If I'd of had my "Pay Attention" walking stick you would have learned a lot quicker. You'd be surprised how quick a person gets the message when you rap em lightly  on the back of the head when they don't do it like you told em..    :biglaugh:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10302 on: August 13, 2012, 08:36:00 PM »
Ron, that stick would break if you shoot with me AND  Loius!    :knothead:

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10303 on: August 13, 2012, 10:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:
Hey! I want to meet Ben too!!
Make that three!
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10304 on: August 13, 2012, 11:23:00 PM »
My new-to-me "Oddity".

The arrow was my 1st in a very long time so to say I am satisfied would be an understatement...lol

God bless,Mudd

PS: The bow is 68" and marked 47@28 but scales 53@28.  The shot was made at about 12-14 yards.
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10305 on: August 14, 2012, 06:54:00 AM »
I don't think it will be a large learning curve to shoot these things. Afterall I started out building and shooting selfbows. One question though. One of the bows I recently acquired has a rather large grip and my hands.... not so much.Would it be sacrilegious to take the leather wrap off and work the handle down some ?
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10306 on: August 14, 2012, 07:43:00 AM »
Tim my advice is... you own it, make it fit you... and no! there isn't anything wrong with doing that.(IMHO) I personally have done that to more than one bow I've owned.

Tony(macatawa) has more guts than I do, he'll redo a whole custom bow to make it suit him...lol

God bless,Mudd
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10307 on: August 14, 2012, 09:41:00 AM »
I think it depends on the bow, I knew a man that took a rasp to a beautiful 1970 A Model Bear Riser. When he got done with it even Fred wouldn't have recognized it ..sacrilegious IMHO....     :knothead: ..
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Jon Powell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10308 on: August 14, 2012, 09:53:00 AM »
We'll have to start calling you Byron Mudd if you keep hitting those small targets!  :clapper:
"While beauty blooms on every side, mercy is unknown and death never sleeps in the wilds."  Howard Hill

"The first thing is to overcome fear. When that is accomplished everything takes care of itself." Jeff Cooper

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10309 on: August 14, 2012, 10:23:00 AM »
Ron, that Magic Marker runs deep into wood. Had to take a lot off to get rid of the scribbling and cartoon stick figure.

Killdeer   :dunno:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10310 on: August 14, 2012, 01:25:00 PM »
Killy, are you stirring the pot?...    :deadhorse:

« Reply #10311 on: August 14, 2012, 01:59:00 PM »
All of my right hand Hill style bows that are not for sale are ones that I have carved the grips myself, not because I ruined them, because they fit me perfectly.  It is fun to self customize your own grips.

Offline Owlmagnet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10312 on: August 14, 2012, 02:19:00 PM »
Modifying a grip sacreligious? Oh my.... Well, I guess it's time to turn myself in. "I did a bad, bad thing..." (More than once, I fear.)

My inability to keep from messing with perfectly adequate bows has reached the point where I told Craig not to bother putting a grip wrap or a leather rest/side plate on my latest Hill--it will save us both time....

(I wonder if there is group therapy for this.)

--a worried Owlmagnet!

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10313 on: August 14, 2012, 02:27:00 PM »
....."(I wonder if there is group therapy for this.)"...

--a worried Owlmagnet!

I doubt there's any more help for this than there is for the "bowaholic" in general.

I stopped looking for the cure and just started to enjoy the sickness...lol  

God bless,Mudd
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10314 on: August 14, 2012, 03:27:00 PM »
I got an arrow question.

My Wesley is supposed to show up on Friday.  It's 70" and 65#@30" (my draw). I'm already behind the eight ball since our deer season starts tomorrow.  And I’m committing to this bow for the rest of our season.   So, I'd like to be shooting straight ASAP.
I have some 2219. What do yall think? Or maybe 2020 shafts. Most of my broad heads are 200g and i prefer my shafts to be 30.5 and no longer then 31"
String is B-50

Thanks
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline MikeNova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10315 on: August 14, 2012, 03:43:00 PM »
Mudd Glad to see you back!

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10316 on: August 14, 2012, 04:34:00 PM »
Just out back today stumping, practiced a style I'll call "make it happen." No holding, no gapping, just get that shot out as fast as smoothly possible. 27" draw, excellent hit ratio. This year it will be 27.5" woodies with a 125g zwickey @163fps.
Here we go!! Sept 15 is coming!!

Offline Jacquesbonin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10317 on: August 14, 2012, 05:23:00 PM »
Well Gang, it has been a while, but I have to tell you I traded a Northern Mist "Shelton" for a beat-up Tim Miegs built "Big Five". The moment I saw the pictures of this bow I knew it was a shooter. Huh? Trading a new "shelton" brown glass, myrtle riser and carmelized bamboo,66"64#s at 26"new bow for a beater? Yes, I did am very happy with the trade, this bow shoots exactly the way I expected, grouping aluminum, carbons and wood arrows in a small group of 2 and 1/2"s at 25 yards, sweet, real sweet. The reason I am sharing this information with all of you, don't miss out on a good bow made by Tim Miegs. If someone mentions they have one, and they are selling you wont be disappointed. The bow I got is 69"69#s at 28" although my draw is 25.5"s this bow is a performer. I can take it to the woods and not worry about any beauty marks from hunting and hunting this bow will go. The season here in N.H. starts the 15th of september. I am on go, as I write. Also as a big relief to me, I want all you Great Trad Gangers to know I start a new job monday morning, with Ruger Arms in the shotgun dept. I started working at eighteen for Thompson/Center Arms, worked for them eight years before moving. Now, hopefully I will finish my working career working for Ruger Arms! I am very happy to say the least. I want to thank all of you for your words of encouragement and your support. I will have little time to spend online, but will have more of my bow collection listed from time to time. Thanks so much,Jacques

« Reply #10318 on: August 14, 2012, 05:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by pavan:
.....not because I ruined them, because they fit me perfectly.  It is fun to self customize your own grips.
Mudd you rascal!  Spilled the beans didn't ya!   :D  

Yep....exactly how I feel...nothing sacreligious about modifying a grip configuration.

I have, however, taken a liking to a straight grip as opposed to dished - Shot "Two Tracks" new Hill offering and his Northern Mist.  Both have straight grips that felt just dandy!

Works for me    :readit:

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10319 on: August 14, 2012, 05:34:00 PM »
Rugers and Hills.....priceless. Congrats on the job Jacques.

My Rugers are mushrooms now that I'm addicted to the stick and string stuff. If I could only shoot the Hills, Dave Johnsons, etc as well as the Rugers.  :thumbsup:    "[dntthnk]"
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©