3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 138743 times)

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #10340 on: August 15, 2012, 07:17:00 AM »
Here is my NM classic where I added a piece of tooling grade leather that I carefully shaped to the handle and cemented down. I just did a buckskin wrap over it when it was done.

I got tired of the thumb rest after a week or two and pulled it all off.

I shot that bow last night and set a personal record for a round besting my old top score by 17 points! Oh, broadheads were flying crazy good too     :archer2:    
Thom

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10341 on: August 15, 2012, 11:18:00 AM »
I have been asked several times but several folks what my favorite bow is...... well here is the answer!

These are my favorites! I shot one arrow out of each bow at 30 yards. __________________________________________________

Then I shot all 4 again with the same arrows at 15 yards.

I choose these to be my favorites(for now)...lol

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10342 on: August 15, 2012, 11:59:00 AM »
Nice group of bows Mudd but I bet you still favor one over all the others.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10343 on: August 15, 2012, 12:06:00 PM »
Reshape Grips:

I'll add pics later tonight.

I started working with leather for myself and for friends. Quivers, sheaths, and the like so I became comfortable with the basics and have some basic tools.  

A bulging grip: I sanded the bulges out with a palm power sander and used a course and finer grits to remove marks and smooth out.  I made it flat on both sides.  I skived (thinned and tapered) two pieces of 8 oz leather to a desired shape and applied to where I removed the bulge to add back material with Barge cement, wrap with leather...done.  You almost can't tell I did it.  I used schellac wiped on a couple coats and then sprayed on a finish over it with spar urethane.

T/D sleeve: I cut 3 strips of 6oz leather the length of the back of the sleeve grip, each about 30% less wide than the previous one so it looked like a pyramid with steps. The first a touch wider than the back of the bow grip to allow for shaping.  I barge cement each one individually centered on the back of bow on top of the previous one.   I shaped it with a skiver tool (pic will follow) and roll a round dowel hard to assure bonding and shape.  Finish shape with skiver and wrap with grip leather.  Took 15 min or so.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10344 on: August 15, 2012, 12:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by SportHunter:
Please tell me which one it is because I can't figure it out...lol
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10345 on: August 15, 2012, 12:11:00 PM »
I'm afraid less bows will be on classifieds because of that post, so I may  take it down!!  So many guys sell because of grips they don't like.  I've never worked on a locator grip, but the others are reasonably easy.   :archer2:

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10346 on: August 15, 2012, 12:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mudd:

Originally posted by SportHunter:
Please tell me which one it is because I can't figure it out...lol [/b]
Thats easy, it's the one with the white glass belly   :D

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10347 on: August 15, 2012, 12:19:00 PM »
That would narrow it down to two...lol
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10348 on: August 15, 2012, 01:09:00 PM »
Howard Hill form question?

Worried about my shoulder alignment.

If I compare to Hill photo it looks like I need to open up a little maybe.  My shoulder joint looks farther forward...is this a problem?  I know i need work on the handle grip which may help a little....but wondering thought from those that know?

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10349 on: August 15, 2012, 02:10:00 PM »
Matt, there are some bows that cutting on the handle will void the warranty...    :readit:  

:goldtooth:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Looper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10350 on: August 15, 2012, 02:17:00 PM »
Think of it as having your shoulder down and back, like you are locking it into the socket. Doing so will allow you engage your back muscles better and give you a more stable base to shoot from.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10351 on: August 15, 2012, 02:48:00 PM »
Mudd... I like the 4th picture in your series where you shot the arrows upward and landed them in the end of that traffic cone.
   :D
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10352 on: August 15, 2012, 02:55:00 PM »
Too funny Charlie!

Offline Jacquesbonin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10353 on: August 15, 2012, 03:34:00 PM »
Personally, I think everyone bone structure is slightly different than one another. So that being said shooting form for each shooter is slightly different from one another. Think of the guy with a long neck and short arms, verses the guy with longarms and a short neck. The anchor is going to be slightly different for each archer, these would be true foer all archers. The general description of shooting form is a guideline not an absolute for each individual has his or her personal characturistics in bone structure the distance between the corner of the mouth to the center of the eye. Don't get caught up in the exactness of the shooting form. Follow the guide lines set forth in the past pages and settle into comfortable shooting form that allows you to shoot consistantly. If you feel the need for improvement. Get a video camera, tape yourself shooting and then review what you have on tape. The tape won't lie and will tell you where and what needs work. Take the time to improve those areas while taping. Ove rthe coarse of several weeks, the improvements will take shape and the video will prove it. Relax and enjoy the art of shooting the bow and arrow. Don't, I repeat don't turn it into a chore. Have fun guy's
Later Jacques

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10354 on: August 15, 2012, 03:38:00 PM »
You are so right Charlie, that took SOME shooting....lol
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10355 on: August 15, 2012, 04:08:00 PM »
Not to mention throw off the string alignment Ron.

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10356 on: August 15, 2012, 04:17:00 PM »
2-4-Hooking, I see 2 things:
 1. you got 3 inches of dead-wood hanging off the shelf!
 2. your shoulder is up too high. Don't do that. No pushing the bow arm/shoulder toward the target.
 Think this one through,
                                 Let the shoulders rest naturally, let your bow arm hang naturally, now just swing the bow up and draw it back, don't "make" your body do anything, just let the bow arm come up, keep the shoulder where it is, don't push towards the target, just pick that bow arm up and keep it steady. Steady, not pushing out towards the target. Be prepared to chop those arrow down a bit for proper length.

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10357 on: August 15, 2012, 04:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jacquesbonin:
Personally, I think everyone bone structure is slightly different than one another. So that being said shooting form for each shooter is slightly different from one another. Think of the guy with a long neck and short arms, verses the guy with longarms and a short neck. The anchor is going to be slightly different for each archer, these would be true foer all archers. The general description of shooting form is a guideline not an absolute for each individual has his or her personal characturistics in bone structure the distance between the corner of the mouth to the center of the eye. Don't get caught up in the exactness of the shooting form. Follow the guide lines set forth in the past pages and settle into comfortable shooting form that allows you to shoot consistantly. If you feel the need for improvement. Get a video camera, tape yourself shooting and then review what you have on tape. The tape won't lie and will tell you where and what needs work. Take the time to improve those areas while taping. Ove rthe coarse of several weeks, the improvements will take shape and the video will prove it. Relax and enjoy the art of shooting the bow and arrow. Don't, I repeat don't turn it into a chore. Have fun guy's
Later Jacques
Jacques,
Great post. This should be a must read for anybody giving advise on form.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline MikeNova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10358 on: August 15, 2012, 05:21:00 PM »
Season started today,however,I'm working nightshift so i have to wait till friday evening.......Hill bow, wood arrows and zwickeys!

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10359 on: August 15, 2012, 05:37:00 PM »
Ron, Good point.  I'm not voiding any warranties.  I've typically added on to grips, not sanding off.  The bows I am sanding on are so far out of warranty it's not an issue.  I wouldn't do it to a new bow, I'd have the bowyer do it.   If its between selling a bow and fixing it to fit me, I'm not afraid to make some changes.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©