3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 138630 times)

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #10580 on: August 27, 2012, 05:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rod Cam:
MUDD..Does that Bow shoot as good as it looks.What kind of wood is in the handle.
Absolutely...... myrtle

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10581 on: August 27, 2012, 10:07:00 PM »
I have a friend who had a bow built with very light maple lams dyed bright yellow under clear glass.  Unlike osage, they will not darken.  That's why he went that route.  It turned out very nice. You might want to consider that route Hawken.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10582 on: August 27, 2012, 10:07:00 PM »
Seriously Cody is that a UFO?  To the poster above who asked if a HHA bow or a NM, etc. was better.  I get the impression this will be your first HH style bow.  I highly suggest finding a deal on the classifieds here.  Within a week or two you will find a great deal if not right now.  Buy that bow and learn what you want before you order one.  That will give you an educated guess before specifying grip type, length, poundage, etc.  no sense waiting for a custom bow to find out later you want to change it.

Offline Hawken1911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10583 on: August 27, 2012, 10:49:00 PM »
That's not a bad idea David.  Thanks.
ST. HUBERT'S RANGERS, Brotherhood of the Medieval Hunt.
MICHIGAN LONGBOW ASSOCIATION
Scott Spears Osage English longbow,50#@28"

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10584 on: August 28, 2012, 09:38:00 PM »
Mudd, I love that bow of yours.

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10585 on: August 28, 2012, 09:56:00 PM »
Well fellow Hill fanatics, I just managed to get my hands on an all bamboo Schulz "Granpa" in like new condition today! Many thanks to Jeff Springer (aka Tippit) for giving me the opportunity.

It's 68@27 and 66 inches. Can't wait til it gets here!
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10586 on: August 28, 2012, 11:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rossco7002:
Well fellow Hill fanatics, I just managed to get my hands on an all bamboo Schulz "Granpa" in like new condition today! Many thanks to Jeff Springer (aka Tippit) for giving me the opportunity.

It's 68@27 and 66 inches. Can't wait til it gets here!
:clapper:

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10587 on: August 29, 2012, 02:49:00 AM »
Just noticed that Ross,You got to give us an update on how she acts !LOL.Talk about snagging an Heirloom! Way to go.
Just like the Old Mountain Men would say " Wahhh she sure is Punkin"!
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10588 on: August 29, 2012, 07:30:00 PM »
Quick question.  I currently have a stringfollow Hill that i love and was just wondering what the difference is in a backset version.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10589 on: August 29, 2012, 08:12:00 PM »
depends on the amount of back set and string follow you are comparing.

Back set will increase early felt weight in the draw while a string follow will be a little "softer" on the draw at first.

Back set may have a little more "thump" in the hand than the string follow.

Depending on the bow there MAY or may not be an increase in arrow speed... but not usually much.

Most guys will tell you the string follow is more forgiving of form errors... I'm one of them. That's hard to prove however.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10590 on: August 29, 2012, 08:28:00 PM »
The refinished Schulz Trophy Hunter is in. Went from 58@28-50@28 and was smoothed out to my 30 inch draw with some timing and tillering fixes. VERY nice! Nate Steen made it to look like John Schulz's bow in the video "Hittin' 'em Like Howard Hill". It's pretty!

I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10591 on: August 29, 2012, 09:08:00 PM »
I think I like brown glass more and more.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10592 on: August 29, 2012, 09:54:00 PM »
My brown glass Northern Mist Classic.

The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10593 on: August 29, 2012, 10:12:00 PM »
Awesome looking bows guys!
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10594 on: August 29, 2012, 10:24:00 PM »
Now that's some eye candy!!
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10595 on: August 29, 2012, 11:39:00 PM »
well,

been working lots and lots of OT to get stuff done in order to start hunting a little bit....elk and deer season starts tomorrow.

Khard's bow is a good one....those older bows are nothing to be ashamed of buying and using if in good condition.  They will perform right there with the modern crop of longbows.  Sometimes they have to be modified a little to fit the new owner, but that's usually not to big a deal.

Seems to me that this thread is languishing a little...must be that everyone is getting ready for hunting.  :)  Hope that's the reason.  good luck y'all.

Offline Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10596 on: August 29, 2012, 11:44:00 PM »
Nate , I trust we can expect elk photo's soon ?

Good luck for the season eh !
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Owlmagnet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10597 on: August 30, 2012, 12:56:00 AM »
They say confession is good for the soul. So I confess that I still do not shoot my Hills as accurately as I do some of my recurves, but it probably doesn't matter to me as much as it should. It seems like I like the IDEA of the straight gripped, straight ended, string follow longbow to a degree where I simply do not want to shoot anything else.

I shoot almost every day and, at the end of each session, I think that the NEXT session will be the one. I will find my fast, fluid, repeatable form and the magic will begin. It makes me want to get up early....

Same nonsense with arrows. I'm not shooting ash because I think it is "better" than good cedar, sitka spruce, or douglas fir. (It isn't.) But, doggone it, I like the IDEA of ash arrows more than the anything else--and I just ordered another four dozen shafts....

Same nonsense with broadheads. I simply have not been able to get my Hill Broadheads as dangerously, hair-poppin sharp as a Zwicky Eskimo, an old Bear Razorhead, or an Ace, but once again, I've fallen victim to an IDEA.

I've tried all the quivers I am going to try. My off-the shoulder, latigo, back quiver is broken-in, and it isn't coming off....

I have always had an irrational, negative bias towards bow stringers. I string my longbows with a step-through--and I don't think I could twist one of those thick limbs on purpose, much less by accident. Whether of not anyone agrees or disagrees with my rationale has become "a matter of complete indifference".

I turned sixty a few months ago. I find I have grown far more concerned about the old friends I may bury than the new friends I may make. It's time to put the cards on the table. So, I guess I'm asking:  Is it official?  Am I a curmudgeon, yet?

Be well,
Bob

Offline bicster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10598 on: August 30, 2012, 06:16:00 AM »
Bob,
I have similar findings as you. I have been shooting HH bows for a few years. I still shoot the tightest groups with my BW recurve but I have complete confidence with my HH. Luckily, I can shoot the same Douglas Fir arrows out of both bows and it only takes me a few shots to adjust to the slightly different impact point. But, there is something about the Howard Hill that keeps calling me. I simply love shooting the HH more than any other bow and I read everything about them I have access to. IT IS An ADDICTION!

Offline Claymore

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10599 on: August 30, 2012, 07:09:00 AM »
I am like you guys. Can shoot the HH some days other can't hit a bull in the butt with a wet blanket. But like above I turned 61 yesterday and don't care.
Don Dow 37@30
HH Cougar 38@30
Hoyt Excel 38@30

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©