3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 138631 times)

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #10600 on: August 30, 2012, 08:54:00 AM »
"Crow Wing". Bamboo lam, black glass on both sides, Honduran Rosewood riser, 67#. Shoots great!

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10601 on: August 30, 2012, 09:27:00 AM »
There was a time when I could still be tempted with a nice looking slight curve or a shiny figured veneer but nothing keeps my pulse racing and "Sherwood" in the forefront of my life like the feel of a Hill/Hill style bow in my hand and a quiver on my back.( even on those days I can't hit the bull's butt with a bass fiddle.)

Charlie if that rabbit hole still exists I hope you get back there as often as you can. You could call me too and I'd tag along just to carry your game..lol

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10602 on: August 30, 2012, 09:46:00 AM »
Good shootin' there, Charlie..

And a nice catch of bunnies!

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10603 on: August 30, 2012, 10:42:00 AM »
Beautiful bow khardrunner! Good shooting Charlie!

« Reply #10604 on: August 30, 2012, 11:42:00 AM »
Hunting rabbits in a good rabbit spot is more fun than deer hunting.  I have a couple of large farm groves that I can hunt this year that have a bunch of bunnies in them.  My yew Hill and a quiver of blunts are ready to go.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10605 on: August 30, 2012, 12:40:00 PM »
Pavan... you took the words right out of my mouth!

The spot in the picture is in western Wyoming and is some of the finest cottontail hunting I've ever found.

I've seen them in greater numbers in Texas (killed 20 in one hour down there once), but those little buggars are so tough you have to stew them.

The Wyoming bunnies are nice and tender so that gives them the edge in my book.

I went out this morning for a little squirrel hunt before breakfast. Saw one fox squirrel and he's soaking in salt water as I type.

Took him off a limb about 20 yards distant. Second squirrel I've shot at with "Stubby" and the second to come home in my quiver.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10606 on: August 30, 2012, 04:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by ChrisM:
I think I like brown glass more and more.
Me too. My favorite bow has brown glass,back and belly. She's a real shooter too!

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10607 on: August 30, 2012, 06:01:00 PM »
This is a wonderful picture of Errol Flynn drawing the bow. I love to see the arc of the bow with the limbs drawn back to anchor.

You'll notice that his bow arm is way too stiff, his elbow definitely needs to have more bend.

Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Offline Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10608 on: August 30, 2012, 06:49:00 PM »
small game hunting with a dash of rovingand stumping thrown in is , in my honest opinion, the best wat to spend a day afield ...

mind you it helps if you can shoot like Mr Lamb !
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10609 on: August 30, 2012, 08:37:00 PM »
That's a nice brace of WY conies right there Charlie!

Good shootin' and good eatin'!

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline Jacquesbonin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10610 on: August 31, 2012, 10:42:00 AM »
Well Gang as you know Howard taught Errol and a bunch of others to handle the bow and arrow. However no two people have the same build! Here is a prime example in Errol, his physical atributes play a huge role in his particular shooting form, namely the inverted elbow. This is something Errol couldn't change without a great deal of work. Man shooting a heavy low brace height must have been a killer with the string making contact with his forearm in his natural shooting form. Great to see the older pictures. Thanks for posting. Good luck hunting Gang, later Jacques

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10611 on: August 31, 2012, 11:41:00 AM »
In eager anticipation of my Schulz Granpa arriving I was wondering if you guys could help me out with a few questions that have come to mind.

Given that this is an all wood bow should I take any special precautions to warm it up before coming to full draw and shooting it?

What sort of gpp do these bows tend to like? it's gonna be 64# at my draw so I've got the option of going a bit lighter to get a flatter shooting arrow that's still a good hunting weight.

What is the centre cut likely to be and what's a good brace height to start at?

Thanks all!
Ross
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline Ron Roehrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10612 on: August 31, 2012, 03:41:00 PM »
Ross you shouldnt have any worries your Schulz bow will like a heavy arrow just fine, I wouldnt shoot over a 650 grain arrow so you can keep your bow relatively flat shooting and dont go under 550 grain. Its just one opinion. I do have a Schulz split bamboo one of the last John made in 1996 and it likes a 550 grain arrow at 55 lbs. I wouldnt worry about any special precautions it will hold up fine, John bows are generally very well built and very durable when properly cared for. Its a laminated longbow so as long as some guy hasnt overdrawn the bow repeatedly to 32" it should be good to go. Unstring the bow after each use and clean and wax it once a year with car polish and it will last a lifetime.

Online toddster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10613 on: August 31, 2012, 11:34:00 PM »
From what I understand Mr. Flynn became quite a accomplished shot with the longbow as well as hunting with it.  Believe someone mentioned a book about Mr. Flynn that refered alot to Howard, but cann't remember the name.

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10614 on: September 01, 2012, 09:45:00 PM »
Been shooting my Northern Mist Classic(68") with a brace height around 6.5 inches. String hits my armguard hard enough it make a red spot on my arm - which surprised me cause I didn't really notice the string hitting my armguard.

I raised my brace height to 7 inches and the problem is solved. I know this is higher than most guys brace the hill style longbows but the bow shoots good. What are your thoughts on this?

Also, I don't have any silencers on the bow. Seems a little loud to me at all the brace heights I've tried. I'm going to get my son to shoot it tomorrow and see how it sounds. I know bows sound different to the shooter so it may not be loud at all...

It seems weird to put my Black Widow PLX down but the NM keeps calling to me and I'm shooting it real good. It seems to perform very well, but I've been afraid to put it through my chrony as it may get in my head if it doesn't shoot as fast as I think it does...Anyway, the Hill style has gotten me extra excited about my bowhunting this year and I can't wait to bust a deer with it...
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10615 on: September 01, 2012, 09:46:00 PM »
One more thing.....

I've been very surprised at how smooth this bow is. Just as smooth as my BW, and actually fells like its lighter but they are both the same poundage..
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10616 on: September 02, 2012, 07:04:00 AM »
Thanks for the advice Ron!

I'll let you know how it shoots!
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10617 on: September 02, 2012, 09:43:00 AM »
Speaking of rabbit hunting here's a photo from the past. In those days we were sorry to see the winter pass because every good weather day was spent chasing cottontails with beagles. There's no greater thrill than rolling a fast moving bunny with a blunt tipped cedar arrow.

My #1 go to bow back then was a Zebra Grevy, 70" 83#@ 28"

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10618 on: September 02, 2012, 03:59:00 PM »
Here's a great photo of Ron and myself, I forget which shoot it was at, All I know it was a mini shooting contest, Around 20 + people joined in the fun, But at the end of the last round, Ron beat me by just a few points. Ron's shooting a Bow John made him, I was shooting a old Redman Hill, 55@28.. This is the pic of Ron and I looking at each other waiting to hear who took First place.. Not bad shooting for a young guy.. Also one of the best photo's of Me and Mr.Longbow himself.. I have to say thanks to Ron for all the help over the years, And helping make me what I am today.. Ron has been the best teacher I could ever ask for....
Thanks Again Ron....
Cody

We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10619 on: September 02, 2012, 04:28:00 PM »
Cody, that was the Howard Hill speed round at the GLLI a few years ago. It was a timed event and you had to shoot 3 arrows from the first positions then RUN to the next and shoot 3 more then RUN to the next. A total of 4 positions and 12 arrows. Because of my two artificial knees I cant run and lost a lot of time between positions...but I made up for it in speed shooting and accuracy...  :archer2: ..   :D        

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©