3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 138591 times)

Offline Ralphie

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #10620 on: September 02, 2012, 07:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by toddster:
From what I understand Mr. Flynn became quite a accomplished shot with the longbow as well as hunting with it.  Believe someone mentioned a book about Mr. Flynn that refered alot to Howard, but cann't remember the name.
Flynn's autobiography is called "My Wicked, Wicked, Ways". Easy to get in hardback, or soft.
It's on my list to read.
Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire.

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10621 on: September 02, 2012, 11:42:00 PM »
HillGang-

To make our hunt more interesting, I came up with a belt buckle that would be rewarded to the person that harvests the most wild boar at the Hill Gang Hog Hunt. In case of a tie, weight and cutters would be measured.

For those of you that may want a memento, I came up with this idea.

Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10622 on: September 03, 2012, 07:33:00 AM »
Cool idea Darren!
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Online toddster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10623 on: September 03, 2012, 03:04:00 PM »
tradlongbow awesome, I want one, lol

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10624 on: September 03, 2012, 06:58:00 PM »
Finally got the Northern Mist Classic tuned to perfection and turned into a lean mean hunting machine...

First, I have a confession to make....I put a bowquiver on the bow....I haven't used a bowquiver on my bows in several years.....Shooting the bow had bothered my bow arm elbow some and I was afraid the pain was going to cause me some long term problems. Boy did the bowquiver tame the bow down and make it much more of a pleasure to shoot and solved my sore elbow problem!

Also, I put string silencers on it - catwhiskers to be exact. I shoot three under(I know some of you guys are ready for an exorcism by this point) and the bow had a twang to it I just didn't like. Between the catwhiskers and the bowquiver that bow is super silent now.

I started shooting carbons out of it, and was fairly pleased with how they flew, but thought I could do better. Tried some 29" 2016's with 200 grain points and could not be happier with the arrow flight. Arrow weight of about 550 grains is right on the money for a 49 lb. bow in my book.

I also didn't like the bow slapping my armguard hard enough to make a red spot on my arm so raised the brace height to 7" and that solved that problem.

I know some of you guys are hardcore Howard Hill guys, and there's nothing wrong with that, but I'm more of an admirer of the bow style itself. A simple straight longbow, the ultimate hunting weapon in my book. Even though I admire Howard Hills accomplishments, I'm not into trying to replicate his style, but just like the simplicity of this style of bow.

I've been at the archery/bowhunting game for over 35 years and find this style of bow a pure pleasure to shoot with just a little tweaking on my part, and gives nothing up to other bow styles. You guys 'lurking' on this thread who want to try this style of bow should be pleasantly surprised if you try one and put in a little effort to get it to shoot like you want.
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10625 on: September 03, 2012, 07:06:00 PM »
Nothing wrong w/12gpp, or even 14gpp for that matter. Inside 40yds, nice and quiet, smooth as butter.

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10626 on: September 03, 2012, 07:09:00 PM »
Stringfollow?? what for, Get some backset and load it up!!

Offline GMASIUK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10627 on: September 03, 2012, 07:10:00 PM »
Good for you Wally!!! There is nothing wrong with tweaking a bow to suit your needs and shooting style.

People may think I'm crazy for some of the things I modify to suit my needs. For instance today I just spray painted my brand new Dala recurve because I didn't like the camo patten that it came with. See your not  alone! LOL

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10628 on: September 03, 2012, 07:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by toddster:
tradlongbow awesome, I want one, lol
Todd-

You might be the new "Hill Hog Hunt World Champion 2013"

BTW Do you guys like this buckle better?
Darren

[email protected]

Howard Hill

Offline Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10629 on: September 03, 2012, 07:29:00 PM »
Wally ..... your set up sounds sweet . And as much as I dislike generally the feel of bowquivers on my Hills , I have been known to hang one on  there now and again .
I lose thw almost whimsiacl light handedness that comes with the 'barebow' but I sure do feel a trade off as it becomes a pretty stable shooting platform ... Si I can see why some guys dig them and I use them a fair bit on my 'curves ...
but sheesh I love my back quiver chock full of 2016's or tapered cedars !!

My safari suit just caught fire .......
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10630 on: September 04, 2012, 02:47:00 AM »
I like the first design, Darren.

Im contemplating the possibility of making a quiver and then having a drawing (or something) for a winner at the The Hunt.
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10631 on: September 04, 2012, 07:58:00 AM »
Originally posted by WidowEater:
Im contemplating the possibility of making a quiver and then having a drawing (or something) for a winner at the The Hunt.
That would be a very cool idea!
Darren

[email protected]

Howard Hill

Online toddster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10632 on: September 04, 2012, 08:21:00 AM »
I like them both, and I am sure there will be plenty of competition there for it.  Might even be one or two better hunter's there, maybe, lol.

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10633 on: September 04, 2012, 08:26:00 AM »
My Big Five wanted to go elk hunting this weekend, and while it hasn't put an arrow through an elk---yet---it did manage to find quite a few of these. After I took the picture, I noticed that they are both the color of golden honey.

P.S. Longbowwally, I thought you might enjoy seeing a Hill-style bow fully set up in killing mode. (Nate, avert your gaze)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10634 on: September 04, 2012, 08:45:00 AM »

P.S. Longbowwally, I thought you might enjoy seeing a Hill-style bow fully set up in killing mode. (Nate, avert your gaze)  
I saw a lamprey eel attached to the belly of a beautiful rainbow trout once. I felt sorry for the fish, it sure distracted from his beauty and must have inhibited his gracefulness in his environment...   :rolleyes:

:bigsmyl:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10635 on: September 04, 2012, 09:34:00 AM »
LOL....

Sure does detract from the natural beauty of the bow, er, trout !

« Reply #10636 on: September 04, 2012, 10:03:00 AM »
Now, now children. It just holds arrows. Most longbow guys all lean the same way, but there are those that lean the other way, an 'in the eye of the beholder' or per Seinfeld's "Not that there's anything wrong with that."

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10637 on: September 04, 2012, 10:05:00 AM »
Looking at Rik's track record I would say the bow is ready to go to work!! I'm guess'n he knows what works for him!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10638 on: September 04, 2012, 10:28:00 AM »
 Looking at Rik's track record I would say the bow is ready to go to work!! I'm guess'n he knows what works for him!!  
Absolutely..   :readit:   No offense Rik, I just couldn't resist poking a little fun..   :biglaugh:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10639 on: September 04, 2012, 10:33:00 AM »
I've got a question for all who have knowledge of the older hill style bows. What was the typical depth of grip on the older models? I'm planning on building some Hill style bows in the near future (soon as we're settled into the new house) and am finding this info difficult to come by. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks, Paul

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©