3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 138571 times)

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #10640 on: September 04, 2012, 10:57:00 AM »
Ha, Ron got me good with that one!

I nearly blew coffee right out my nose laughing when I read about the lamprey. I've been teased at length about my bowquivers for as long as I can remember, but I think Ron gets the Gold Medal for that one(anybody ever notice there are some real jokesters on this site?)

Why, you'd think no one even noticed the inherent beauty of that custom, one-of-a kind, gorgeous  bowquiver. She's a real beaut she is!

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10641 on: September 04, 2012, 11:26:00 AM »
 Why, you'd think no one even noticed the inherent beauty of that custom, one-of-a kind, gorgeous bowquiver. She's a real beaut she is!  
A mother eel would probably love it...   :biglaugh:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10642 on: September 04, 2012, 11:29:00 AM »
 I've got a question for all who have knowledge of the older hill style bows. What was the typical depth of grip on the older models?  
About 2 to 2 1/4"
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline kestimator

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10643 on: September 04, 2012, 11:40:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ron LaClair:

P.S. Longbowwally, I thought you might enjoy seeing a Hill-style bow fully set up in killing mode. (Nate, avert your gaze)  
I saw a lamprey eel attached to the belly of a beautiful rainbow trout once. I felt sorry for the fish, it sure distracted from his beauty and must have inhibited his gracefulness in his environment...    :rolleyes:  

:bigsmyl:  [/b]
:)  LOL!!!!
Have a nice day!
Kevin

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10644 on: September 04, 2012, 11:59:00 AM »
The eel,i,iii,i,I mean bow quiver is fine(i guess) the pretty blue silencers are to die for though,  :)  

Good luck with the elk Rik,when does moose start?
OCT?  :archer2:  

CTT
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10645 on: September 04, 2012, 02:55:00 PM »

P.S. Longbowwally, I thought you might enjoy seeing a Hill-style bow fully set up in killing mode. (Nate, avert your gaze)  
I saw a lamprey eel attached to the belly of a beautiful rainbow trout once. I felt sorry for the fish, it sure distracted from his beauty and must have inhibited his gracefulness in his environment...    :rolleyes:  

:thumbsup:
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Quickblood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10646 on: September 04, 2012, 04:46:00 PM »

Great analogy Ron!  Everyone's got their own tastes, but I couldn't agree more.  Good sense of humor all.    :clapper:

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10647 on: September 04, 2012, 06:30:00 PM »
Ron that was great!  Lol  :archer:
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10648 on: September 04, 2012, 08:25:00 PM »
Rik - that is what I call a lean mean hunting machine! All I have to say is great minds think alike!    :bigsmyl:  

But all kidding aside, I agree, a longbow without a bowquiver is a sleek beauty, but I still like mine better with one on it      :D
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10649 on: September 04, 2012, 09:36:00 PM »
Hey Tim   :wavey:

Where ya been hidin??

Eric

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10650 on: September 04, 2012, 10:17:00 PM »
  Ron - Hey lookee what I found - that sure is a fine looking bowquiver you have there    :bigsmyl:    

Wally, the little Shrew is short and compact, fast to maneuver and packs a deadly row of teeth...kinda like a Barracuda. A Classic Hill style bow with it's beautiful long and sleek lines needs room to maneuver and nothing clinging to it to incumber it's graceful arc...kinda like a Rainbow trout dancing on the water... But that's just my opinion     :dunno:    

Offline stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10651 on: September 04, 2012, 11:40:00 PM »
That bottom picture is one of my all time favorites...It is what comes to mind when I think of a classic longbow.

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10652 on: September 05, 2012, 06:34:00 AM »
Well said Ron and I agree...as they say 'a picture is worth a thousand words' and that bottom picture is a classic.
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10653 on: September 05, 2012, 12:49:00 PM »
Just a few thoughts for your consideration and discussion.

My shooting has been a little erratic lately unless I'm really careful with my release... I mean perfect!
Anyway, I got out my spare glove (buffalo Big Shot) that I'd had the tips replaced on and it cleared up the problem instantly.
The glove had developed a crease in the tips.

So I'm wanting to try a new glove with inserts and am considering an American Leathers Crossover or Bateman Cordovan.

I love my BigShot glove, but love the looks of the Bateman (more like Howard's glove).
 I've had a Howard Hill Archery glove with inserts and never could get used to it. Thoughts????
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10654 on: September 05, 2012, 01:08:00 PM »
Also. I've been catching up with viewing a bunch of different Howard Hill videos and noticed a couple of things.

John Shulz teaches that the thumb of the drawing hand should be held low in the palm or touching the tip of the little finger.
Howard's thumb rides pretty high and looks like he might even touch the tip of it behind his ear.

The other thing is that he seems to like to use very large fletch on his trick shooting arrows. Probably for camera visibility as well as arrow stability. Thoughts?
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10655 on: September 05, 2012, 02:04:00 PM »
Hey Charlie ain't it great, no matter how old we get we never stop learning. With us real old guys sometimes it's re-learning stuff that we knew once but forgot..   :D

Back when I was shooting heavy bows I used a Hill glove with the inserts. The problem we had with them was the finger stalls would fly off every time you shot. Someone figured out that if you rubbed string wax inside the finger stalls the resin that they put in the wax would make the stalls stick on your fingers.

When I dropped down in bow weight I started using the Berlin glove and then went to a tab. I'm currently using the Bateman tab I'd kinda like to get back to a glove so I might try the Bateman glove.

As for that thumb thing, I tried the thumb against the little finger but it didn't work for me...fingers too short and stubby. I use to put my thumb behind my ear but I had a tendency to relax the back and let the thumb hold some of the tension so I went to just letting the thumb lie along the jawbone and that works for me...but we're all built a little different so you just gotta play around until you find what works. After 70 years shooting a bow you'd think I'd have it figured out by now...   :biglaugh:

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10656 on: September 05, 2012, 02:18:00 PM »
I know what you mean about the thumb thing Ron. I can touch pinky and thumb but it feels weak compared to the way I've always done it. There are just some things that aren't going to change after all these years.

My problem with the insert type glove was that it didn't feel like I had a very good hold on the string... like it could slip away before anchor or anywhere close to anchor. It was also difficult to place my fingers on the string the same each time.

I admit I may have given up on it before I developed a feel for it.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Rod Cam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10657 on: September 05, 2012, 02:27:00 PM »
Charlie and Ron..Try the American leathers Crossover.I think you will like it. It works for me after 56 years.

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10658 on: September 05, 2012, 02:35:00 PM »
Charlie, I got a Bateman glove with the inserts and it's a nice glove but I'm unable to use it.. I tried briefly and decided against it. My problem is sizing. I have what I consider average size fingers and even talked to Earl about it. I wound up with a large glove and the finger stalls are much to small for comfort. In fact, I can't even get my fingers all the way to the bottom of each stall..  Point is, in this case, the glove sizing ran small, IMO. I'm sure I'd need an extra-large..  If you'd like to try the one I have PM me your address and I'll send it your way immediatly..

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10659 on: September 05, 2012, 02:42:00 PM »
I don't know about the Bateman glove sizing but you just rang a bell on my memory..    :knothead:   I use to soak the Hill glove in water to soften it so it would stretch and form to the fingers. Then put it on and shoot it dry. After that it was custom fitted to my fingers...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©