3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 138296 times)

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #10760 on: September 14, 2012, 07:07:00 AM »
Technical? Sounds pretty simple to me. Add or subtract 5# for every inch of arrow length adjustment, add or subtract 5# for every 25g of point adjustment. Tuning basics, keep it simple.
  Now, if you have a bundle of shafts  too stiff for you, taper them.  I appreciate the Kudos, but It is not my idea. Howard wrote about it in Hunting the Hard Way. I would not overlook that section. John even wrote in his book that Howard was after the best arrow flight he could get, to those who said "they" kept their arrows long so that they can re-taper them when they broke, Howard would say you are more concerned with saving arrows then with perfect arrow flight!
   I have occasionally overlooked hard work, but this tuning is necessary, and I would never put myself "at a disadvantage when bowhunting,"
  Season starts tomorrow.     :readit:

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10761 on: September 14, 2012, 10:04:00 AM »
This question is for the Hill Bow Experts only. Us who are still perfecting our approach will be forever in frustration and move on to other styles. When you die so does your world renowned reputation as being the best. So before you croak answer me this, if you can't, don't bother typing:  
      With a 125g point the arrow porpoises like a dolphin, tried all different forms, styles, draws, releases, nock points, spines, B-heights, etc. etc. Put a 190g point on her and bam great flight. With that point weight I can "just shoot," make it happen have you, with accuracy. Wood shafts of course 27" draw. Heres the kicker, put a 100g point on and bam, good flight.

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10762 on: September 14, 2012, 10:50:00 AM »
What's the question?
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10763 on: September 14, 2012, 10:57:00 AM »
Why and how is it fixed?

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10764 on: September 14, 2012, 11:41:00 AM »
I might have the solution. When at full draw, if your anchor is higher than your point, {caused by having head up too high and arrow too low at anchor} causes the arrow to smash down into the riser at the shot. Bringing the bow hand up more and the nock end up with it, like one would "Shotgun the Shaft" or sight down the length of the arrow, sort of but not exactly oh smart one, keep the arrow basically straight and horizontal, tilting the head allows this. Cranking your neck, bending the bow arm too much, shrinking under the weight of the bow, does not always put your arrow horizontal at full draw. PUTTING! the arrow horizontal, and inline with the eye at FULL DRAW! is what I'm finding as to be "proper archery form." Point weights don't matter as much with this approach, so a 125g Zwickey to give a good trajectory it is. Season starts tomorrow.

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10765 on: September 14, 2012, 12:54:00 PM »
What porpoising?

It is the result of a combination of nocking point and brace height problems and can also be effected by changing the tiller of a bow by different grips with pressure points in a different place than where the bow was tillered. Faulty release could also come into play.

Have never seen where going to a heavier grip, without changing brace height and/or nock point, corrects/eliminates porpoising. So that tells me that grip position may be changing the tiller and/or release may be more of the cause.

In most cases porpoising is corrected by changing nock point and brace height.

Remember in the scenario you described on the last page your 52# spins shaft @ 28" just went to 60# spine at 26.5" and your 50# @ 28" bow dropped to 44/45# @ 26", but these arrows should still have flown fairly straight and maybe impacting slightly left of your intended target.

Tail wagging is a spine issue-porpoising is a tuning issue via nock point and brace height.

When trying to fix problems one needs to do only one change at a time-not several because then one nevers knows which change is the one that worked.
>>>>============>

>>>>============>

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10766 on: September 14, 2012, 03:36:00 PM »
At full draw I had the nock up higher than the point, almost like I was pointing the front of the bow down. Did not feel it, see it, or even fathom it till I saw it in the mirror. Got that arrow pointing straight, and straight it flies.

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10767 on: September 14, 2012, 06:48:00 PM »
My Schulz Granpa arrived today (all 28@27 of it). All I can say is WOW. with the string follow and the all bamboo limbs it feels lighter on the draw than my 54@26 Cheetah. It is amazingly smooth and at the shot very gentle and quiet in the hand. The condition for this 30 year old bow is flawless.

It does take a much weaker arrow than its glassed counterparts. I'm presuming due to the string follow  plus solely bamboo lams.

I love it and it shoots where I look. Two weeks til deer season!
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10768 on: September 14, 2012, 06:48:00 PM »
Sooooooo,,,

Any Hill harvests recently to post up? As soon as I release the 2013 St. Jude's Faith bow my Dave Johnson bow and I are gonna have a few dates together  :)

Speaking of which, have we pestered Terry enough to have a Hill style Hope and Faith for 2014?
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10769 on: September 14, 2012, 07:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by swampthing:
At full draw I had the nock up higher than the point, almost like I was pointing the front of the bow down. Did not feel it, see it, or even fathom it till I saw it in the mirror. Got that arrow pointing straight, and straight it flies.
That is what they makes bow squares for.   :bigsmyl:
>>>>============>

>>>>============>

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10770 on: September 14, 2012, 07:54:00 PM »
Not the nock point Kelly, the actual nock-end of the arrow was up higher by a few inches compared to the point, as in I was pointing the arrow down. Did not seem that way at all,  just need to bring that bow arm up higher!

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10771 on: September 14, 2012, 09:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rossco7002:
My Schulz Granpa arrived today (all 28@27 of it). All I can say is WOW. with the string follow and the all bamboo limbs it feels lighter on the draw than my 54@26 Cheetah.
At that weight it ought to feel lighter   :biglaugh:  ( I know it's a typo)

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10772 on: September 14, 2012, 09:13:00 PM »
Sure could use some more pics of that Schulz!
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10773 on: September 14, 2012, 09:18:00 PM »
Good point - its 68@27.
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10774 on: September 15, 2012, 09:26:00 AM »
Swamp,

Have you tried nocking above the nock point?  I went below for a LOT of years and found that all arrows i shot are more forgiving in flight when nocked above.  Even near perfect arrows flew perfect.  Took a little getting used to.  Also, the shaft diameter seems to be less of an issue when nocked above when shooting different arrows.

The aspect you say about smashing the arrow on the shelf is another thing that may change.   If you glance at your arrow at full draw, you may notice it is actually flexed downward because of finger pressure on the nock.  Look from behind other shooters, it's really common.  Nocking above can help eliminate this too.  

If you already nock above, never mind    :knothead:

Offline Berliner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10775 on: September 15, 2012, 12:25:00 PM »
Regarding my last post I tried to sound a little self-deprecating when describing the German forum culture. May be it`s my lack in English writing as a German. Again: It wasn`t my intention to step on someones toes....Sorry, if I did. We all love this sport!   :campfire:
Jerry Hill - Stalker deluxe 69" [email protected]
Osage Selfbow - 66" [email protected]

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10776 on: September 15, 2012, 12:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by swampthing:
Not the nock point Kelly, the actual nock-end of the arrow was up higher by a few inches compared to the point, as in I was pointing the arrow down. Did not seem that way at all,  just need to bring that bow arm up higher!
Am really confused with your descriptions. If nock point is correct and you are just aiming low the arrow flight should still be good.

Now if you are raising up your bow arm just at release then I might see some eratic flight and that is a form problem-not a tuning problem. Sometimes I have this same problem but still get good arrow flight-just hit below my target sometimes and others I raise up the bow arm in time to hit the target. Yes, I acknowledge I have a form problem but it is not a tuning issue nor a spine problem.
>>>>============>

>>>>============>

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10777 on: September 15, 2012, 01:33:00 PM »
Berliner,
I don't believe you stepped on anybody.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10778 on: September 15, 2012, 01:55:00 PM »
Berliner ~ You're doing just fine. (IMHO)

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10779 on: September 15, 2012, 03:00:00 PM »
Berlioner, your English is much better than my German.  :thumbsup:  No problem.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©