3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 138213 times)

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #10800 on: September 18, 2012, 09:02:00 PM »
us lefties no best eh David ?
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10801 on: September 18, 2012, 09:21:00 PM »
Absolutely! We're the ones using the right side of our brains!  :biglaugh:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10802 on: September 18, 2012, 11:32:00 PM »
My set up for this season:

Sunset Hill (okiciyapi) bamboo/glass string follow longbow, B-50 16 strand bowstring, 57# @ 25 3/4" DL.  

I am shooting surewoods, 58-60 spine, 11/32, 26" bop, 75 gr woody weight, 135 gr Schulz Hunterhead or a 125 gr woodsman.  630-645 gr total arrow weight.  11 grains per pound.

Bow is whisper quiet.  Gives me a touch extra for the big boar if he presents a shot.  Love the way the bow feels in the hand with 10-11 grain per pound.  I know that is heavier than what some recommend, but it is shooting for me.

Arrows

Bow

BTW:  Anyone has any Schulz Hunter Heads they can part with, please contact me.  I have trade BH's, and other stuff.
Longbows & Short Shots

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10803 on: September 19, 2012, 12:15:00 AM »
g-g-g-g-g-giiiidddyyyuuuupppp !!!

Now that is a sweet sounding hog and deer dispatcher !
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10804 on: September 19, 2012, 12:39:00 AM »
Boy, quite a few responses before I finished typing this one so it seems way out of contex. This was in response to Toddster's and Swapthing's last on the previous page, 720.

Not necessarily so-they fly better with heavier point because of more weight forward. Same as tapering a shaft weakens the spine but creates more weight forward.

Trajectory is more a product of proper arrow flight and precise tuning of one's bow-ie nock point and brace height.

The main thing to remember is NOTHING is set in stone. There are a lot of varibles in this game including the individual behind the string and no two are alike. All these suggestions should be taken as a starting point and then refine to your individual style and equipment. Do not be afraid to experiment-even when you think the arrow flight is perfect a change in point weight or nock point or cock feather in could just be the magic potion.

There is no ONE perfect arrow material nor spine for a particular bow/shooter combo. All bows are capable of shooting perfectly multiple types of arrows and different spines. It is not that difficult to find good flying arrows for oneself.

Also every bow ever made/will be made is capable of far greater accuracy in the hands of a shooting machine than in the hands of its owner/shooter. The objective of every archer should be to get as close to the machine as possible and that only comes from time-lots of time shooting the same bow over years and years.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10805 on: September 19, 2012, 07:17:00 AM »
Originally posted by Kelly:
...Also every bow ever made/will be made is capable of far greater accuracy in the hands of a shooting machine than in the hands of its owner/shooter. The objective of every archer should be to get as close to the machine as possible and that only comes from time-lots of time shooting the same bow over years and years.
We "tune" the combination or bow and arrow for the most forgivness for our imperfections in shooting technique.  The way you "pickup" the bowstring, set your back tension, etc. can effect how you "tweak" your set up to fit.  Also the game hunted, enviroment you are hunting in, may influence your choice in bow & arrow set up.  There is also the confidence factor in what has worked for you in the past, so you believe in the setup.  The goal is a clean flying arrow that gives the most margain of error for our imperfections.  Once found, it the archer that really needs to tune, his or her form that is.

PS:  Shoot your arrows with broadheads to make sure they fly straight.  Wishing everyone a great hunting season!
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline DWilhelm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10806 on: September 19, 2012, 10:23:00 AM »
Dragonheart, well said.  Thank you.

Offline Berliner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10807 on: September 19, 2012, 10:38:00 AM »
Dragonheart-   :thumbsup:  
Good Hunting!!
Jerry Hill - Stalker deluxe 69" [email protected]
Osage Selfbow - 66" [email protected]

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10808 on: September 19, 2012, 11:33:00 AM »
Sounds very similar to what I said  two paragraphs prior to the one you quoted me.

"The main thing to remember is NOTHING is set in stone. There are a lot of varibles in this game including the individual behind the string and no two are alike. All these suggestions should be taken as a starting point and then refine to your individual style and equipment. Do not be afraid to experiment-even when you think the arrow flight is perfect a change in point weight or nock point or cock feather in could just be the magic potion."
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

« Reply #10809 on: September 19, 2012, 01:19:00 PM »
My right hand is healed and the Schulz Legend is heading for the woods this year. I have set it up with a dozen particularly heavy Rogue river tapered cedars with(sorry Dragon) original Hunterheads and Alaskan carbons with Deadheads.  It is a big deer this time and I need to practice visualizing one of those arrows passing through right on the mark,  just so I won't crumble if and when I get into shooting range with him. Now where is my lucky leather hat?

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10810 on: September 19, 2012, 05:31:00 PM »
Pavan I'm glad to hear that you're back at it.

I know how it is to not be able to shoot.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

« Reply #10811 on: September 19, 2012, 09:48:00 PM »
Never was really out of it. I am ambidextrous, but my lefty bows are a bit curvier than my right hand bows. I need to shoot just a bit slower from the other side.

Offline sou-pawbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10812 on: September 20, 2012, 05:15:00 PM »
I am looking forward to hitting the woods with my old Jerry Hill, it might not be as pretty as some, but it's still a blast to shoot.  Best of luck this season to all the Hill hunters.
Molon labe

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10813 on: September 21, 2012, 08:16:00 AM »
I recently read that Howard Hill advised Bob Wesley to draw "until the string touched the eyebrow or top of the eyeglasses".  

When I attempt this it really puts my head at a crazy feeling angle or feels like I am way overdrawing the bow.

Does anyone shoot like this?

Did Hill?

Offline Jacquesbonin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10814 on: September 21, 2012, 10:09:00 AM »
Greg, what Howard was alluding to was the angle of the string and head tilted forward to touch the string with eyebrow, which can't be done with short Hills, due to string angle.
The term "bow down on it" was phrased in relationship to the string against the eyebrow. I shoot better when this happens. I have actually shot strings long enough to show wear at the spot where the string made contact with hair of my eyebrow. I think this situation comes natural to some and unnatural to others. If it works for you then by all means enjoy. If it doesn't don't beat yourself up as you know there will only be one "HOWARD HILL"
later Jacques

Offline MikeNova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10815 on: September 21, 2012, 01:00:00 PM »
Well I've been in the woods about 5 times so far no luck yet. I may just try them out tuesday morning.

Offline Tower climber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10816 on: September 22, 2012, 05:56:00 PM »
My new hill style bow from Steve Turay . Northern Mist Classic , 68" 76#@29"
James C. Quinn

Offline Tower climber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10817 on: September 22, 2012, 05:59:00 PM »
Sorry , Having trouble with pics
James C. Quinn

Offline louislucido

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10818 on: September 22, 2012, 06:48:00 PM »
2 for Hooking , to answer your Question Howard put the sting to the side of his eyebrow touching the side of eyebrow!, if you had glasses you would touch the string with  your glasses . this was one of the 4 points to his anchor, believe me this works great . Getting past your eye and touching eyebrow gets things out of your way and helps you use your Rumboids in your back better. In 2004 I went to Bob Wesley school ,best thing I ever did to improve my shooting !  Louie Lucido

Offline louislucido

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10819 on: September 22, 2012, 06:53:00 PM »
If you check out page 715 at the top that guy is doing it right !!!!  LOL

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©