3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 138156 times)

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #10820 on: September 23, 2012, 12:16:00 PM »
I have been experimenting with the swing draw this week and notice some perceived benefits:

-I can pull my heavier bows more easily
-back tension is easier to achieve

I haven't lost any accuracy by shooting in a more dynamic manner either. Are these benefits all in my head or are there some definable reasons as to why?
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline louislucido

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10821 on: September 23, 2012, 04:04:00 PM »
Rossco , I do the same. some times thats all I think swing and everything else just falls in Place , and speed is good , not to much thinking !just shoot !!

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10822 on: September 23, 2012, 06:30:00 PM »
I have a NM whisper on its way here. 64" 55@28 straight grip.  Limbs are boo core with birds eye maple lam, riser unknow, dark wood.  

Unfortunately it cost me my Deathwish longbow that I was falling in love with, but this will cure the itch I have had for a whisper. I am thinking hard about possibly trying to buy back the Deathwish at a later date.  Pics will be posted when I receive it
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Pete Patterson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10823 on: September 24, 2012, 09:03:00 AM »
Can someone direct me to the post which shows a picture of Howard Hills patent of his concave limb design?  I've "searched" everything I can with no results.  If anyone remembers where it is, I'd appreciate an assist.
....and lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the age. Matt 28:20

Offline Pete Patterson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10824 on: September 24, 2012, 09:48:00 AM »
Nevermind, I found it as a link on page 682.
....and lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the age. Matt 28:20

Offline Rod Cam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10825 on: September 25, 2012, 07:45:00 AM »
ttt

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10826 on: September 25, 2012, 10:25:00 AM »
Well,

I've got a Hill inspired story to tell you all as soon as I have time to post a pic....you never know what you will find out by talking to people.... ;)

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10827 on: September 25, 2012, 05:24:00 PM »
Come on Nate don't leave us hangin
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10828 on: September 25, 2012, 06:16:00 PM »
hangin' here....come on!
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10829 on: September 25, 2012, 08:43:00 PM »
Bring it on!   :D
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10830 on: September 25, 2012, 11:40:00 PM »
:coffee:  

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10831 on: September 26, 2012, 11:46:00 AM »
Back when I was about 15 years old,  I had the pleasure of meeting an older gentleman who volunteered to show me and my friend some deer hunting spots in the local hills.  When we showed up to go hunting, he noticed our bows and commented on how he used to watch Howard Hill movie shorts when he was young and how he loved watching the fast fluid way Hill shot and how strong he was...that fascination stayed with him during his adult years even though he didn't archery hunt much.

This gentleman mentioned how he would like to show us his archery collection sometime when we had the chance....well, a few years later we were able to go to his house.  He showed us a Schulz made HH longbow, Hill stitched quiver full of white fletched and dipped arrows, an older HH longbow and various other stuff.  We were in awe at the HH gear and asked bunches of questions...  

He had purchased the HH longbow (Green Dragon), quiver, arrows and armguard from an older lady in response to an ad in the classifieds.  When he arrived to pick up the gear, he recognized the HH name on the bow and asked the lady how she would have acquired it...........she said her husband was friends with Hill, and this was all that was left of her husbands archery stuff.  They had moved to my town many years earlier to retire in solitude.  My gentleman friend then asked her many questions pertaining to Hill and his strength, abilities, etc......get this...their names were Hill also....Ed Hill, the guy who was Howard's buddy in CA and who went with Howard to Africa and who Howard saved from the python in the movie!  he lived in my town!

anyway,  the gentleman was relating this stuff to us as we ogled the HH stuff and I asked him if he would ever sell it...no way!  I looked stuff over real good, and memorized how it all looked.  Years later, he contacted me about how to sell the HH Green Dragon.  I negotiated a deal between him and Ted Fry for Ted's museum.  I don't know where that bow is now....I found out by conversing with Bob Burton that the bow was likely built by the Stotler boys.  Anyway, a few years later this nice old gentleman wanted a lighter bow to shoot and so he traded that old Schulz Hill bow for one of mine, and that bow now graces my office wall...what memories could that bow tell?

Now the kicker....I was contacted by an auction house that my uncle owns about the estate sale for this now deceased gentleman....I asked if there was any archery equipment...yes there was.  So I looked at the online photos for anything that was Hill related from what I remembered so long ago.  Couldn't tell by the photos, so I waited for the viewing day and went to see for myself....there hidden in an old quiver stuffed with arrows was one white capped/fletched arrow!  I had to bid pretty high, but I got the lot and the arrow.  What is so cool about this arrow? the last of a quiverfull from Ed Hill?  It was made at the Ben Pearson co. for Howard...it has Ben Pearson stamped on the shaft...it has a mid-nock on it...Howards special cut feathers(like a modified shield...actually like LeClair puts on some of his arrows)....has a four-point footed foreshaft...and pinned shell casing blunt.

You can see photos of this exact arrow type in Craig Ekins book showing Howard shooting while Ted, and young Craig are watching...there are also other photos in the same book and elsewhere showing Howard shooting this style of arrow.  Obviously Howard liked this style of arrow and he gave some to Ed Hill his buddy.  So I have an arrow that was Howard's gift to a friend that I wouldn't have ever acquired except for the casual conversation with a kind old gentleman who admired Howard Hill...neat huh?

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10832 on: September 26, 2012, 11:50:00 AM »
WOW!!

Awesome story!!  :thumbsup:  

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10833 on: September 26, 2012, 11:59:00 AM »
:clapper:  
Awesome addition to any collection, especially with the story.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10834 on: September 26, 2012, 12:04:00 PM »
Nate, great story and what a memory you have to carry with you of that encounter.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10835 on: September 26, 2012, 12:06:00 PM »
I love to read stories like that !!!
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Jacquesbonin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10836 on: September 26, 2012, 12:19:00 PM »
Well Nate, I too had aquired one of Howard's personal arrows, blunt tipped and all, white shaft white mid nock ans white fletch, made by Ben Pearson for Howard. It came in the original box, in excellent shape. This arrow now reside in Ron Roehrick's collection. Nate thanks for sharing. Later Jacques

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10837 on: September 26, 2012, 12:51:00 PM »
Very cool Nate, thanks for sharing.

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10838 on: September 26, 2012, 04:11:00 PM »
Neat story Nate, thanks.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter