3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 138107 times)

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #10860 on: September 28, 2012, 06:15:00 AM »
Thats right everyone else talks funny.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10861 on: September 28, 2012, 08:02:00 AM »
Dragonheart I know that feeling when as if by some kind of "olde" archery magic the arrows appears in the exact spot that you had your eye on...love it!

Your statement about hitting your "leaf" made me laugh because the 1st time I took one of my best friends (Cobweb) out for some stumping he stated that he liked this kind of shooting because he "got" a leaf every time he shot...lol

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

« Reply #10862 on: September 28, 2012, 04:09:00 PM »
Looks like us Iowegians will be looking at temps in the 80s, that equals 90 on the hill sides that I will be on, for our first three days. I think I will take my oldest bow out for some exercise and a beach towel and work on my tan, at least until it cools down a bit.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10863 on: September 28, 2012, 05:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by pavan:
Looks like us Iowegians will be looking at temps in the 80s, that equals 90 on the hill sides that I will be on, for our first three days. I think I will take my oldest bow out for some exercise and a beach towel and work on my tan, at least until it cools down a bit.
I'm with you there Pavan!. I don't get too exited until around Halloween anyway. I may go hunt with my sons in Eastern Iowa next weekend. I've got a doe tag for Clinton Co. I hunt for meat, so I don't care much for hunting the hot weather when things spoil very quickly.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10864 on: September 28, 2012, 08:29:00 PM »
I tried some test arrows today from Paul Jalon. My new Shrew Hill "Red Wolf" is needin a set of arrows. The bow is 53#@ 28, I draw 27" so am getting about 50#. I'm going to shoot 200gr Ace Super Express broadheads so Paul put 190gn FP's on them. The arrows are PO Cedar, tapered 11/32-5/16

This group was shot at 25yds with 53#, 55#, and 59# spine arrows. They all shot well but I think the 55# shot the best. I'm having Paul make a set of 55-57# and I should be good to go.  

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10865 on: September 28, 2012, 09:48:00 PM »
Looks good Ron, 28" BOP?

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10866 on: September 29, 2012, 12:03:00 AM »
28" BOP?  
Yes. The arrows will match my David Miller no glass "Tonkin" bow too. It's 53#@ 27"
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10867 on: September 29, 2012, 09:41:00 AM »
Sounds like you planned it that way, make sure ya give us a look when Paul gets'em built.

Yur gonna paint that bow before ya take it huntin' aintcha  :D

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10868 on: September 29, 2012, 10:07:00 AM »
Brian,

Cool bow!  I love the Whisper.  It will be truly a whisper when you shoot woodies    :D  

It shoots a lighter spined arrow of course, but they are still fast and really shoot accurately.  It's basically a classic with reverse handle so the limbs seem to really perform.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10869 on: September 29, 2012, 10:09:00 AM »
Eric,

I think Ron shoots deer from a heated tent!  No Camo paint required...    :archer:  

That Red Wolf is a really neat bow, Ron.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10870 on: September 29, 2012, 10:56:00 AM »
Matt, just razzin him a little.

I want to see a pic of that red bow with a dead deer just for the guys that think you need to be camo down to your skivies to kill a deer.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10871 on: September 29, 2012, 11:40:00 AM »
Eric, I also had Gregg put a gloss finish on it like the bows used to be not many years ago. Didn't have any trouble killin deer with em back then..    :archer:

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10872 on: September 29, 2012, 12:02:00 PM »
Here's a little story about the back quiver in this picture. I made it out of a Charlet cow hide with the hair on it. I used the tail for the shoulder strap which had the tassel of hair on the end and it looked pretty cool. Every time someone would ask about the quiver I'd tell them it was made from the skin of a Lion that I killed with my longbow when Howard and I went to Africa...you'd be surprised how many people believed that story...    :biglaugh:  

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10873 on: September 29, 2012, 06:01:00 PM »
Hey Mr. LaClair,

I enjoy seeing the things you come up with to post.  Your pics of bows, TRAD history and knives are really enjoyable.  I really like that Shrew Hill you just posted.  To my eye it looks like the grip is larger than those that are on the Hill bows as the come from Craig.  Would you agree with that?  If so, would you have any measurements on how thick it is from belly to back and any other grip measurements you can think of that would be helpful to a bowyer trying to recreate an oversized grip on a Hill style bow.

If you don't have them, that's OK.  Don't go to any trouble at all.  I just enjoy checking out your pics and on occasion I will copy them to my computer so I can go back and check the stuff out many more times, as will be the case with this new Shrew Hill....

Thanks and keep on posting.

One more thing, I know you are a man that LOVES a BIG BLADE.  There's no hiding that.  The one you posted with the dressed squirrels is one of my favorites of your knives and wanted to ask if you ever intend on offering that knife for sale with a shorter blade of maybe like 5 or 6 inches.  That would be great for all the rest of us that aren't TRUE MOUNTAIN MEN like you are.  Wouldn't you say so?

Have a good one.

Nalajr

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10874 on: September 29, 2012, 07:46:00 PM »
Just finished shooting Granpa again - John Schulz sure knew how to make a natural pointing bow! Never thought I'd be shooting g a 68lbs bow but this one is hitting the whitetail woods with me starting next weekend!
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10875 on: September 29, 2012, 08:14:00 PM »
Nala, my ShrewHill has a grip that is 2" deep and 1" wide.  You can get any size grip from Craig at Howard Hill that you want. Just give him your desired specs and he'll make it.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline louislucido

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10876 on: September 29, 2012, 10:07:00 PM »
Nice Story Nate!   wasn't Ed Hill killed by an elephant in africa ?

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10877 on: September 30, 2012, 08:18:00 AM »
Well due to torrential down pours here in Texas I have only been able to hunt 2 hrs yestarday.  This morning I intended to hunt but my house sets between two creeks and currently I can't walk to my woods to hunt and I can't  get over the bridge in my drive.   So no quick mornin hunt, no chruch just waitin.  Oh well that just means that more deer survived the city bows with X bows.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10878 on: September 30, 2012, 09:00:00 AM »
Nala, the standard handle depth on the Shrew Hill bows is 2". I like a deeper grip so mine is 2 1/4"

The knife that you mentioned is my personal knife and is a one of a kind. Will it ever be offered for sale in a smaller version?... it's a possibility..   :dunno:

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10879 on: September 30, 2012, 04:57:00 PM »
Ron, is that knife patterned after an old knife? Looks like a full length clip blade, should handle very nice.

You heading up to the farm tomorrow to hunt a little?

Eric

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©