3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 138052 times)

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #10920 on: October 02, 2012, 10:15:00 PM »
Season is over. Catching up on backed-up work. Will report in on Thursday. Definitely word record season for grouse!

Rik Out.

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10921 on: October 02, 2012, 10:23:00 PM »
Lights out for me! Read a chapter of Hunting the Hard Way to get me in the right mindset for an early wake up and day spent in the woods.....

Cheers for the luck gents!
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10922 on: October 02, 2012, 10:26:00 PM »
I hunted my 70" Hill out of my Penthouse, and my 68" NM Classic out of a Double Bull without any issues. I think I'd buy the Double Bull if I were to buy another. Instead I think I'll stick to my wool and natural ground blinds as much as possible.
Thom

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10923 on: October 02, 2012, 10:29:00 PM »
Look forward to the report Rik!!   :campfire:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10924 on: October 02, 2012, 10:32:00 PM »
Look forward to it Mr Rik .....
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10925 on: October 03, 2012, 02:33:00 PM »
Is it thursday? Looking forward to your story Rik.

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10926 on: October 03, 2012, 04:19:00 PM »
Had a good day out today. Hadn't had a chance to do any scouting this year so I took my tree seat along and got set in a location I've had my eye on since last year.

Round about 0900 a buck got the better of me. Didn't hear a thing before hand but all of a sudden I heard an almighty snort in the thick stuff 25 yards out and dead down wind. At first I couldn't see a thing but then he flipped up his tail and bounded off snorting all the way giving me a mere glimpse of some antlers.

I'm always amazed at how they can sneak up on you like that!

Once I got tired of sitting still I did some still hunting for small game before tweaking some stand locations and killing a few leaves and stumps.

Looks like Granpa is bringing along a bit of luck, rare to see bucks moving during daylight this early in the season!
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10927 on: October 03, 2012, 08:27:00 PM »
Hey guys (gals), haven't posted on the thread in a while, and my goodness....729 pages, almost 11K posts!!! WOW!!!
Forgive me if this has been covered far back somewhere, but I was wondering what you guys use, or how you clean your grips/wraps? I was thinking Lexal and a damp rag without saturating the leather, but I haven't had need prior to now. I have one bow in particular that has a very light tan elk hide wrap on it, and it's starting to get a little dirty.

Thanks in advance!!

FR
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline JohnI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10928 on: October 03, 2012, 09:01:00 PM »
I picked up a suede shoe cleaning kit. It has a brush and eraser,it works real well makes grips look new.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10929 on: October 03, 2012, 10:17:00 PM »
Usually when my grip leather gets grimy I just use some 100 grit sandpaper on it to bring back the knap and clean it.

Only works on "rough out" leather grips.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10930 on: October 03, 2012, 10:23:00 PM »
Mine is of the smooth finished variety, but that's a couple of dandy ideas there fellas.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10931 on: October 03, 2012, 10:38:00 PM »
Far rider.... saddle soap and a sponge.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10932 on: October 04, 2012, 12:35:00 AM »
Hey, there ya go! Thanks Charlie!

Venatôr

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10933 on: October 04, 2012, 05:58:00 AM »
When I was a kid we had suede shoes, when they would get dirty, Mom would get the little brass brush out and we would scuff em back to clean. I still have that little brush and use it on a bow grip when needed. I have also used an old tooth brush to lesser effect. My brass bristles are fine and not to stiff. I think a stiffer nylon bristle brush would work better than a tooth brush.
Charlie is right about the saddle soap,I have used Montana Pitch Blend the same way and it worked ok. Saddle soap does it better. I cleaned alot of horse packing gear with it when I guided out west. It will really bring leather back to a clean/new look and smell.

Nice job on the two deer Charlie.

CTT
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10934 on: October 04, 2012, 08:21:00 AM »
Thinking back I remember when the arrow plate on my Hill bow would get a hard slick spot on it from the arrow passing over it. I'd bring the Knapp back up by scraping it with the edge of my knife...it outta work on the grip as well...   :dunno:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10935 on: October 04, 2012, 10:20:00 AM »
I appreciate it guys, I heard back from Craig last night and he also recommended saddle soap or Lexal as well.

Tim

Venatôr

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10936 on: October 04, 2012, 12:19:00 PM »
Maybe I missed it earlier in this thread, but was there ever a Hill Bow made with a reverse handle? Just curious as I just picked up a Northern Mist Whisper and it seems kind'a neat! So what can you tell me? Thanks in advance.......ron w
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10937 on: October 04, 2012, 12:48:00 PM »
Ron, yes.  Craig may still make one on request.  Not sure but one could always ask.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10938 on: October 04, 2012, 12:52:00 PM »
Charlie,

Hill goes into detail about Rev. Bigelow's death by an elephant in his second book "Wild Adventure"...it happended a couple of months after Hill left Africa.  I read about Carl's death somewhere else, I'll see if I can find it...

got a new hunting fedora....now it just needs to be broken in by helping me shoot a deer.  A good hat will do that you know   ;)   same as a good bow and quiver helps to bring in game...

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10939 on: October 04, 2012, 01:00:00 PM »
David,
I remember seeing one on the Howard Hill logbowmen.

Tim

Venatôr

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©