3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 138009 times)

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #10940 on: October 04, 2012, 01:05:00 PM »
Nate... you know that new hat will need a flower, feather or other doo dad tucked in the band to turn on the luck?

I'll have to reread my copy of "Wild Adventure". It's been a while.

Been shooting the Crossover exclusively since my return from Kansas and have "made it mine". Really loving it.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10941 on: October 04, 2012, 02:03:00 PM »
Charlie,

yeah, the grouse have been throwing themselves at me this year and desiring to be in my dutch oven, so I've got the good luck feather thing going   :thumbsup:  

my crossover is customized to 'me' as well....I always trim off the little excess leather on the back.

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10942 on: October 04, 2012, 02:28:00 PM »
Now that elk season is behind me and the bugling, thrashing bulls stayed just out of range this year,  I am getting ready to start a Hillstyle shooting discussion about a shooting technique that I learned by accident while studying the Hill form (when I crawled out of the TP hole), and since has been verified to me by someone who knew Schulz.  I have never seen this talked about in print and I've taught it to a few guys and most recently John at AL who has ramped up his shooting/hunting accuracy a bunch. This should be a help to shooters wanting accuracy over 20 yards.  stay tuned.....

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10943 on: October 04, 2012, 02:35:00 PM »
Why wait Nate
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10944 on: October 04, 2012, 02:41:00 PM »
Why do you do this????

It's like the videos we are still waiting for...hopeing!

Consider me baited :-)
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline tg2nd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10945 on: October 04, 2012, 03:03:00 PM »
Me too!
German by birth, Bavarian by the grace of god

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10946 on: October 04, 2012, 03:04:00 PM »
I've got to do the drawing in a decipherable manner, and like all good movies you have to have the previews...lol

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10947 on: October 04, 2012, 03:06:00 PM »
Hey Ron,

I shot with Louis last night and that Shrewhill is one nice shooting bow.  He's shooting it well and all you hear is a little swoosh of the string.  I shot it a few times, it's a neat bow.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10948 on: October 04, 2012, 04:40:00 PM »
Matt, I'm glad to hear that from you.  Louie tells me how well he's shooting it but I'll believe him now that you verified it...   :biglaugh:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10949 on: October 04, 2012, 07:07:00 PM »
Look forward to it Nate .
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10950 on: October 04, 2012, 07:44:00 PM »
I just picked up a Shrew Hill in a trade and I am having a killer time picking between the Shrew Hill or a Eucalyptus Self Bow to bring to the woods.

The Shrew Hill is by far the smoothest Hill style bow I have shot. I love how light it is, narrow tips, sleek and smmmooooooooth.
The Self Bow is a ripper of a bow, actually think it launches arrows faster than the Shrew Hill. Guess the weather will decide my fate.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline louislucido

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10951 on: October 04, 2012, 08:56:00 PM »
Thanks Matt and Ron , for the kind words on my shooting , I have good and bad day's , but since I got my shrew Hill Things are better. That knife like handle as I call it . really keeps your handle placement right . the rest is in your head. and believe me I could use a new one every now and then!!!

Offline kestimator

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10952 on: October 04, 2012, 09:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by ron w:
Maybe I missed it earlier in this thread, but was there ever a Hill Bow made with a reverse handle? Just curious as I just picked up a Northern Mist Whisper and it seems kind'a neat! So what can you tell me? Thanks in advance.......ron w
I think there may have been.  I can't remember for sure...but in one of the books I've got (I think that it is Craig's) there is a photo of Howard Hill shooting a reverse handled bow.
Have a nice day!
Kevin

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10953 on: October 04, 2012, 10:15:00 PM »
Thanks.......I'll see if I can do some research.....
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10954 on: October 04, 2012, 11:13:00 PM »
Ok fellas...here is something to jumpstart our thinking and ponder on until I get the other info compiled....

In all the old photos of Hill, Schulz, Swinehart, and other  oldtimers....when they posed for a photoshoot their form was perfect...straight line from arrow tip to drawing elbow and horizontally level with the ground.  Go back and watch old Hill dvds and Schulz' video and notice that all their shooting for form or shooting at target faces is done with their straight line form absolutely level with the ground.  

Don't get ahead of me...just look at photos, watch the vids and think about it and I will explain what one of the best kept secrets out there is all about.

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10955 on: October 05, 2012, 12:20:00 AM »
Umm alrighty then mate .....

do you mean their form is [ drawing elbow to arrow tip ] on exactly the same plane as the ground ... kinda like an equals symbol [ = ] the top line being the archer the bottom line being the ground ?

Or am I totally misunderstanding ...
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10956 on: October 05, 2012, 12:38:00 AM »
Ben...I mean that their arrow to elbow line is straight and that it is horizontal to the ground....not angled up or down and there is no break or angle at the midpoint of the arrow/elbow line (i.e. the anchor)

Yes essentially an equals sign =

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10957 on: October 05, 2012, 01:05:00 AM »
thanks Mate ... I'm with ya ...
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10958 on: October 05, 2012, 02:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by kestimator:

Originally posted by ron w:
Maybe I missed it earlier in this thread, but was there ever a Hill Bow made with a reverse handle? Just curious as I just picked up a Northern Mist Whisper and it seems kind'a neat! So what can you tell me? Thanks in advance.......ron w
I think there may have been.  I can't remember for sure...but in one of the books I've got (I think that it is Craig's) there is a photo of Howard Hill shooting a reverse handled bow. [/b]
I've seen pic(s) of Howard Hill shooting a reverse handle bow, but I don't remember where.

« Reply #10959 on: October 05, 2012, 03:03:00 PM »
Ron, you can get any Hill model in a reverse handle. They do not mention it in the catalog, I don't why that is. it is a tough choice between the NM whisper and the reverse Hill, my son declares the Whisper to be the best bow he has ever shot.  I was going to get a reverse model this year, I like how the reverse models shoot, but I opted for a new Filson coat and another hundred arrow shafts instead.  With my right hand back in gear, I am back to shooting my old favorites and shooting them good.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©