3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 137907 times)

Offline tg2nd

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #11060 on: October 10, 2012, 01:54:00 PM »
@ sunset hill:
You're almost better dressed then me on my wedding!
Hats of, Sir!
German by birth, Bavarian by the grace of god

Offline toddster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11061 on: October 10, 2012, 01:59:00 PM »
Nate great pics and great outfit, got a filson vest too and has been great mojo, where u get the hat?

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11062 on: October 10, 2012, 02:55:00 PM »
 Quick question for the group that I was thinking about the other night over a bourbon: Has anyone here ever had a Hill bow break? I can't say I've ever seen or heard of that happening...  
I've broke a few but it's been a long time ago. I broke two of Ron Mauldin's Big Horn Tamerack longbows. They were both heavy weight, in the upper 80's and lower 90# range. Ron had some trouble with the Tamerack bows until he started putting a strip of maple under the glass.

I also broke one of Brian Pridgon's Hill style bows, it was bamboo core and 81#. A friend of mine broke my 85# Hill Big Five. Heavy weight bows were/are more susceptible to breakage...   :dunno:  

I haven't broke a bow in a long time...maybe it's because I don't shoot those heavy weights anymore......   :)
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11063 on: October 10, 2012, 03:14:00 PM »
Ron...I had a Pridgeon Mtn. Longbow...Bryan lived near here...75# all osage with 1 1/2" backset...can we say THUMP?
I liked his writing and him....last I heard he wounded a deer, got disgusted with himself and moved real far south and got into sailboating or windsurfing or something like that...

The hat is a stetson stratoliner from the fedorastore.com....great hat and good price

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11064 on: October 10, 2012, 03:30:00 PM »
Most of the oldtime archers looked real classy on the range or in the field...like gentlemen.  I prefer that appearance also and the deer don't seem to care    :biglaugh:

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11065 on: October 10, 2012, 04:14:00 PM »
Gray, somewhere around middle "128" gray, very very versatile "tone."  If I had brown, green or similar tones here I would contrast greatly, notice my outline, very minor contrast. Then see my back quiver! Anybody have any med gray latigo!!  

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11066 on: October 10, 2012, 05:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by sunset hill:
Quotes from Hill:

"if your form is right, you won't be too far off at 50 yards..."

"what's your arrow doing at 30 yards?"

why did he specify those distances? not some other distances?  Remember, he was shooting bows with speeds around 180 fps...as was most shooters back then and now as well.  He was used to shooting at target faces up off the gound around 48" to 56" (level form).....we shall see how this all works together to make you a better field shot, better game shot, and have more fun at long ranges.....
Great post .
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

« Reply #11067 on: October 10, 2012, 10:28:00 PM »
To the question have you had a Hill break.  I broke two bows. One A string follow that I built myself, I was trying to reduce the poundage way way down and went too far. Another my 68" 72@ 28" Schulz, I fell on an icy slope and cracked the bottom tip.  It is now 66" and the same draw as before, after I  shortened it, added tip lams and then retillered it. It still shoots great, perhaps even better.

Online stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11068 on: October 10, 2012, 10:46:00 PM »
I broke a 85#er about a month or so ago. It let go at full draw and took a good chunk of my forearm with it. A few stitches later I was all good, but my shooting suffered for sometime after that especially since I was only left with my 115# Hill. After some blind bale shooting with a child's bow I worked back into the groove and got my mojo back just in time for season.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11069 on: October 10, 2012, 11:09:00 PM »
Not a true Hill, more of a mild D/R design Scorpion longbow built by M.R. Hamilton.  The longbow was built in 1989.  I bought it used, no telling how many arrows went through it.  It delaminated on the belly.  Made me sick.  It was long 69".  It was called "golden thumper" for a reason!  LOL!

Here is a photo of the bow.  D-shaped.  I still have the bow with no belly glass.  

Longbows & Short Shots

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11070 on: October 10, 2012, 11:17:00 PM »
Nate here are two photos of me shooting.  These are not recent, I will have to get some this weekend.  Level form? Yes/No?

Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11071 on: October 10, 2012, 11:35:00 PM »
Jeff..those look kinda like my exaggerated low angle target photo...high drawing elbow (Schulz told me that puts too much pressure on the ring finger) and shooting down without bending at the waist.  Level form means your shoulders are a "T" shape  with your spine straight and to shoot downward or upward means to tilt the "T" at your waist.

Each of us is unique in our shooting stance and style.  I am not saying this is the only way to shoot a longbow but it is a good way as taught by Hill.  And as someone who crawled out of the target panic pit...it works well for me too.

ChrisM pm'd me and just about has the Hill quote thing figured out...he is on track and now is pushing me to reveal it all   ;)   all in good time...we have to have basics first.

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11072 on: October 10, 2012, 11:44:00 PM »
Just re-reading your post Nate, and forgive my naivety but what are you referring to when you speak of the "swing draw" method?
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11073 on: October 10, 2012, 11:54:00 PM »

Images of Hill
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11074 on: October 11, 2012, 12:05:00 AM »
Swing draw is the method of drawing the bow while raising the bow from a starting position near the hip.  Timed correctly you will be on target with the bowhand while the drawing hand finishes the draw by pulling straight back and then releasing once anchor is made.

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11075 on: October 11, 2012, 12:18:00 AM »
Is this the method you guys use in the field while hunting? Is this also called "snap shooting"?

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11076 on: October 11, 2012, 12:24:00 AM »
Far ... it sure ain't snap shooting . I view "snap shooting " as an uncontrolled shot . This is far from it and practiced well at the bale allows me better control over my TP as a static arm draw for me is sure trigger to release to early or "panic" ...

I'll second Nate' view about getting a target at chest height and securing your shot sequence ... will work wonders on your shot AND confidence

In the field I use whatever method works best ... most often being a ground pounder its a swing draw ... it may be slow , it may be fast but it will hopefully be controlled . sometimes its a straight arm pre draw but given my preference every day of the week its a 'swing draw' ... just suits me better and I feel allows to use more poundage than otherwise
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11077 on: October 11, 2012, 12:27:00 AM »
I use it for all shooting and no it is not snap shooting.  A full complete draw and anchor is employed for every shot unlike snap shooting

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11078 on: October 11, 2012, 12:33:00 AM »
Sorry guys, I'm just trying to absorb some of the wisdom  from the thread. I really like my Hills, but trying to learn to shoot them proficiently has proved to be a challenge unto itself.

Thanks Ben and Nate

Venatôr

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11079 on: October 11, 2012, 01:12:00 AM »
Far...if you can get a copy of schulz's video and work on form for several weeks in front of a tall backstop you will be able to shoot the Hill bows real well.  It just takes practice.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©