3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 137905 times)

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #11080 on: October 11, 2012, 01:15:00 AM »
Nothing to apologize for ... asking questions is the most important role a forum can have .....

Tkae my two bits for what they are worth .

Personally I think that , if your are interested in the 'swing draw'Hill method a study of Schulz' DVD will not leave you far off the mark at hunting ranges and beyond ... but a big part of that for me is picking a bow style , arrow types and weight and stick with it for a couple of months ... its kinda easy to get psyched out about it all ... don't let a bad day or bad shot turn you off ...

And I'd also spend the occasional afternoon , adise from bale practice going out , take your time and rove and stump at 50 - 70 yards ... great fun , great relaxed practice and you mind will start to find your point on and beyond .....

There are many ways to shoot a bow and not everyone will enjoy success with any particularly  defined method . Its an individual thing .

A good case in point is Rik Hinton ... ye of back country elk hunting .... he has downed more critters than most of us put together but he shoots with a set arm draw and holds the string 3 under ..... no one is going to argue with his methods as the proof is in the pudding , or roast ribs  or elk tenderloins as it were .....

Its just that he doesn't look as cool as me
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Looper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11081 on: October 11, 2012, 01:15:00 AM »
Nate, if you can, post up some videos of you shooting.

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11082 on: October 11, 2012, 01:18:00 AM »
Ben...   :laughing:     :laughing:    :laughing:      

I have teased Rik for years.....and then he quietly goes out and shoots game.

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11083 on: October 11, 2012, 01:19:00 AM »
Looper....been thinkin on it

« Reply #11084 on: October 11, 2012, 03:31:00 AM »
You mean that rik is one of those arrow aimers?  that's it, where is my drill, I am putting bowsights on my Schulz.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11085 on: October 11, 2012, 03:50:00 AM »
Originally posted by pavan:
You mean that rik is one of those arrow aimers?  that's it, where is my drill, I am putting bowsights on my Schulz.
Sacrilege!      :nono:
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11086 on: October 11, 2012, 03:51:00 AM »
Originally posted by pavan:
Sacrilege!      :nono:
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11087 on: October 11, 2012, 08:24:00 AM »
Far rider... like Ben said, no need to apologize. And his interpretation of snap shooting is right on the money.
What Nate is teaching here is NOT snap shooting which is NOT a controlled shot.

Also as has been said, there are many ways to shoot the longbow, but if you would follow the advice of Hill then you would do well to find a copy of John Shulz tape and pay attention to what Nate is teaching here.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11088 on: October 11, 2012, 08:37:00 AM »
Speaking of shooting style, my way of shooting is exactly the same as the swing draw, it's just that I do the "swing" before I begin drawing the bow. I slowly swing it up into position, then a second or 10 later (depending on when the animal steps into position), I draw and shoot. My form at full draw is exactly the same as Nates.

P.S. Ben is just jealous that my hunting hats are way cooler than his. I am also thinking about offering to trade Nate one of my rakishly sylish custom hats for that poor pitiful thing he showed on his head a few photos ago. Those guys from Twin Falls just have no sense of fashion.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11089 on: October 11, 2012, 08:44:00 AM »
Fashion advice from a guy that wears a bowquiver on his Hill? Hmmmmm??!!
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11090 on: October 11, 2012, 09:00:00 AM »
Ouch!!   :knothead:

:biglaugh:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11091 on: October 11, 2012, 10:02:00 AM »
Thanks again guys. I started getting serious about my form this year, not just shooting. I started with my grip, which believe it or not, helped a ton! I was hitting consistany left of my aiming point. After watching a video posted on here I began working on my grip and just like magic, things started coming together. That proved to me that my form was obviously in need of some serious work.

My journey with Hill bows has been tenuous, but fun. I bought my first Hill several years back, and typically buy, sell, or trade one a year not as a collector, but rather in search of the right combination of length, draw weight, grip etc. , and one a year is about all I can slide by the wife!
I'm very bullheaded I guess. I am determined to learn to shoot my Hills! I like everything about them, primarily the beautiful simplicity of the bow, light in the hand, nimble, and from what others show me, accurate. I've been taking one thing at a time and attempted to perfect it, ingrain muscle memory, and move on to the next thing. I do think I need some bow tuning lessons though, which just means spending more time with the Hill Gang! Bonus!
I'm headed to the Hill Hog Hunt and I hope I can glean some tips from some who have obviously mastered the Hill for themselves. I guess in the end we take from others what works for us as individuals and make it our own, blending the experience of other with the goals we set, and come to terms with our desires as archers.

Humbly,
Tim
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11092 on: October 11, 2012, 11:54:00 AM »
I've watched some excellent longbow shooters that didn't have what we call Hill form, yet they incorporated elements of the style that worked for them...that is the key.  Swing draw, level form, good backtension, solid bowarm etc are all necessary for good shooting accuracy.

I bring up these points of the Hillstyle method of shooting because there is no current teaching of his style except for Miller's classes.  With the internet this info can be shared, discussed and referenced with more people than the old method of vhs.  So I decided to post info on solid Hill shooting form that anyone can access....use it all or just certain aspects...that is what we as individuals have to decide to make us the best shots we can be.

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11093 on: October 11, 2012, 11:55:00 AM »

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11094 on: October 11, 2012, 12:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:
I just laughed loud enough that my wife came in from the other room to see what was so funny.  :clapper:    :biglaugh:

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11095 on: October 11, 2012, 01:35:00 PM »
Yep, agree Nate, and I sure appreciate being able to access knowledge and experience so easy.  Your string follow explanation was at the least, eye opening to the mechanics of a Hill style bow. The lessons from guys who have, in my opinion, mastered the bow, are treasures to someone like myself.

Tim
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline JohnI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11096 on: October 11, 2012, 02:09:00 PM »
Do a search on the web Hit'em like Howard Hill Parts 1-4 ArcheryDuns and you can watch John Schulz's video all you want for free.

Offline MikeNova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11097 on: October 11, 2012, 02:14:00 PM »
Rik I dunno looks like Nate wears a suit when he goes hunting. Maybe appropriate clothing for an animals funeral.

Offline louislucido

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11098 on: October 11, 2012, 02:15:00 PM »
Dragon Heart , Your form is definately not bad , things look better than most guys , if you can you need to pull farther Howard touched the side of his eyebrow , with the bow string , and your elbow on drawing hand is just a tad high, but not bad . Howard Had a four point anchor , you look Like you have 3 of the four ! Now you are proble saying who is this Guy ! lETS JUST SAY , I spent a life time studying it .  Louie Lucido

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11099 on: October 11, 2012, 02:32:00 PM »
Mike...  :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©