3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 137881 times)

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #11120 on: October 12, 2012, 04:20:00 AM »
Hey Nate,

Thanks for the pics on the lower elbow...been playing with it since I saw the them the other night.  Kind of a pain to reproduce time and time again, something to work on.  Helps keep my head forward and down.

Offline louislucido

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11121 on: October 12, 2012, 07:10:00 AM »
Dragonheart Sweet , I personaly noticed when I got that extra inch in draw , to my eyebrow it allowed me to use my rumboid muscle in the middle of my back better and , that Fixes most problems by its self ! Keep up the Good work
Gen 27:3   Louie

Offline Hank

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11122 on: October 12, 2012, 12:00:00 PM »
As far as shooting information, I got a lot from John Lee's DVD lecture on Hill and Bob Wesley's book and video. Some real kernels of shooting wisdom there.

John Lee mentions some things in his lecture I have never heard any where else, not even from Schulz. Lee asked Hill questions about his shooting after he retired from shooting professionally -- so I am wondering if Hill felt it was okay to share more of his secrets since he would not really be competing with any other shooters either in hunting success or exhibition skills.
Remember, if you walk a mile in someone's shoes, you will be a mile away and have their shoes.

Offline Jacquesbonin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11123 on: October 12, 2012, 12:43:00 PM »
Well Gang it's been awhile since I have been on. I hope everyone is doing well and seeing some success with their shooting and hunting. Speaking of hunting, my time is very limited, basically just sunday evenings. I work 65 hours a week with a little over an hour driving time each way, sure cuts down my hunting time. I had last monday off for Columbus day, so I took advantage and hit the woods. Around 5:30 I noticed I could smell deer, I am in a stand about 18 feet off the ground. Man they have to be close, I am looking all around, then I notice legs behind me. I keep looking around and see two more does off to the left, then to my right another two does. the interesting thing is these are all mature dry does and no SKIPPERS???
Then suddenly I notice movement out in front of me, it's a buck. Now I am surrounded by 5 or 6 deer within 35 yards! I decided I want this buck! He started feeding directly toward me getting closer, at about 20 yards he decides to run straight at me, for what ever reason. I have no cover over head so I have to wait till the last second to draw and shoot as he runs by my stand a 3 yards. And I did, the arrow passing through both lungs and the liver. He pours on the after burners and I watch him go down. The does all gather together at about 30 yards and look in his direction, as if if to say (will you look at that fool). They slowly wander off. The shot was taken at 6:15, Harry Hubbard came over to help me drag the 140 pounder with 11inch spikes that nearly touched, out of the woods. I was home before 8:30 p.m. Yes, I would rather be lucky then good! Harry say's luck has nothing to do with it, your a good shot. No I wsa lucky, the arrow exeted the edge of the ponch and was sticking out the bottom 12 inches but the hole was plugged and absolutely no blood trail. I was lucky he didn't go far and went down so quickly. Now I still have two tags to fill, next chance to hunt hunt will be the weekend after next, YaaaaaH! Nate I do have a picture of the arrow sticking through the deer, maybe I can get someone to post for you. Hopefully everyone see's some success. Happy Hunting to all! Later Jacques
The bow I used on this hunt was a Great Northern "Ghost" 60"63#s at 28" and the arrow is a 150 Heritage, cut 27" boh with a Magnus "Stinger" 125 grain broadhead, I have used this arrow combination out of many different bows, it works very well. I recieived this bow in trade from Dave Parr, it is a great bow out a trestand. just a few pounds too light for me. Later Jacques

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11124 on: October 12, 2012, 01:50:00 PM »
Jacquesbonin,

Great story!  I rekon you were lucky ... lucky to have the deer there when you were.  But the stand was there first and you put a great shot on the buck as well, so it sounds like you made your own luck.  Nice job ... good on ya!!
  :archer:  

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline Don Lampkins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11125 on: October 12, 2012, 05:34:00 PM »
Well I should have known if I kept reading this thread it was going to cost me some money. Just got off the phone with Craig, bought a Big Five T/D 66" 65@27,bocote, with clear glass. Now my croc has some company.
Hill Crocodile 64" 54@26

Offline toddster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11126 on: October 12, 2012, 08:15:00 PM »
Well, today was a great hunt with little success, but alot of enjoyment.  I got off work changed and got to my stand.  I hunted my stand till about 9am and was going to get down because didn't see anything moving, besides I wanted to look for turkeys.  I stood and looked around awhile, to ensure nothing was close, learned this the hard way over the years.  sure enough about 50 yards to my left, moving down wind was a nice 10 point buck.  I watched him move into some thick russian olive and bed down.  I glassed him for about 15 minutes and sure enough this was going to be his bed for the day.  Now I had to make a descision.  I was hunting a penisula that jetted out to the lake and the only way back to truck besides swimming was to walk upwind of him.  Knowing that doing that would likely spook him, thus not being able to come back I said to myself, "Self, might as well have a go at him".  So, I lowered my bow, as stealthly as possible climbed down.  I stood at the base of the tree for good 15 minutes glassing the buck to ensure I got away with it.  then I started to form my stalking plan.  the crest of the land gently rolled down toward the lake and he was facing it, so wind would come over his back, the wind was staying steady as a crosswind.  I moved parrell with him.  After an hour, I had moved to within 30 yards of the buck whom was till oblivious to my presance.  Now I had to get a little closer and find a shot.  the russian olive was THICK, so as the wind gusted up I slowly moved and snapped through it.  About another hour, I was about 20-25 yards.  I didn't need my bino's to see the buck, but still no shot.  then I slowly got down on my knees. It opened up some, so I decided to lay down.  On my belly, I had a shot at the bucks boiler room.  I got everything situated, and just started to draw the bow back.  the Buck jumped up and ran to the west.  Laying there I was preplexed, as I thought I got away with murder and how did he sense me.  So after sulking in the dirt for few minutes, I slowly got up and looked to the direction he left.  I could see him slowly walking away.  then I got the feeling that I was being watched, and turned around and there was a bigger buck looking right at me at 20 yards.  then he bolted.  so, now I know why my buck took off, the other buck.  I made my way back to truck.  so now I am confident that I will still have a shot at not only him but a bigger one.  Was still fun and loved it.

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11127 on: October 12, 2012, 09:04:00 PM »
I'm enjoying everyone's posts...

Nate - you are the best dressed bowhunters I know...Also enjoying your comments on shooting.

I watched the first clip of the Schulz video. One thing I thought interesting was one of his last comments was, I think quoting something Hill had told him. He said something like "make up your minds whether you want to hunt or target shoot because the two just don't go together" - or something to that effect...I find that interesting, and would like to hear what you guys think of that if you would be so kind as to share your thoughts..

Also, I've modified my shooting style a little to use the swing draw. Really like it. Also can relate to what Nate said about finding your rhythm - definitely agree with that. I have also found with the swing draw for hunting I will slow my swing down a little, whereas when practicing or shooting 3D I swing a little faster...I can shoot both ways equally well but the faster swing seems more 'natural' to me. Just my 2 cents worth...
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11128 on: October 12, 2012, 10:50:00 PM »
Is anyone shooting their Hill style bows out of a Pop Up blind? I set up my Hidden Hunter blind today and had no problem at all shooting my 66" Shrew Hill bow out of it.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Online Razorbak

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11129 on: October 12, 2012, 11:22:00 PM »
Yep Jacque is a great shot with all types of bows..he and I met close to 20 years ago at a 3d shoot..and after the  shoot was done we spent many hours doing trick shots that he shown me and taught me alot and over the years I picked up alot of knowledge from many people but I remember my first encounter with the man..I shot alot with him at shoots and didnt matter what he shot..he shot real good...but with hunting...I say a little luck HuH Jacque  :)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11130 on: October 13, 2012, 01:15:00 AM »
Toddster,
Great story! I sure wish you better luck the next time.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11131 on: October 13, 2012, 12:27:00 PM »
Took the Schultz Granpa out again this morning. Well below freezing when I got in the stand but could still pull all 68 pounds with my improved swing draw thanks to the advice given here.

Didn't see a deer but had a coyote run right under my stand and nearly got a shot but he was on me so quick I didn't manage to stop him before he got into some thick stuff across from me. Too bad, would have loved to bag him with the new bow.

Nice day in all, really love how versatile the HH bows are proving to be.
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11132 on: October 13, 2012, 03:56:00 PM »
Well I did it again.  My inability to keep the  same bow for too long strikes again,  
  I have been looking for that bow that just speaks to me.  Nothing in particular, just that you know feeling.  Since I started this journey i have admired and liked the Earl Hoyt Trophy, but did not want  63 or 69 inch model and thats all I could find. I finally got my 66" and it was everything I ever dreamed of.  So I just traded my 66' NM Superior for a 68" 60@28 HHA Weseley special.  Black on back, clear on belly.  4 lams of boo with a center lam of coco.  And a cocobola riser.  

I don't have the desire to own a lot of bows, just two really. One a mild D/R (which i have) and  a Hill style (coming)  If I can handle the 60lbs with ease and my accuracy does not suffer I think once and for all the trading will stop.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11133 on: October 13, 2012, 04:33:00 PM »
Went out for a hunt with my Hill this morning. No animals were harmed but had a great time.  I was still hunting.  Saw a buck and doe but they were moving too fast to get on.  Came accross a herd of hogs with a real nice one in the group but they got a small smell of me and began moving off.  Got up wind and shadowed the herd for a while but when they started through the swamp I was unable to follow.  Later while setting in a bush a three legged coon came within feet of me and checked me out before moving on.  I figured a tough fella like that needed to live.  On the way back to the truck I stopped to check a distant ridge out and when I looked down and I was strattling a pissed off cotton mouth.  I jumped high enough to make micheal jordan pround, nocked an arrow and shot just misssing the head high and he took off.  All in all it was a great time.  Dragonheart was hunting near by and we spent some time stumpin.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11134 on: October 13, 2012, 04:54:00 PM »
I have been taking my Hill for nice walks in the woods, trying to stalk some turkeys while waiting for deer to reopen, which will thankfully happen this coming Monday. I have been fairly close to turkeys most days, and missed one two days ago. Mostly, I have been enjoying being out and getting some stumping done while becoming more acquainted with my Hill. It is coming together, and I can't remember when I enjoyed shooting a bow more. Now, I just need to get some blood on an arrow.
I have also been shooting my new to me Big River, that I am now getting to full draw (about 66#). This bow really smokes an arrow, and I can't wait to feel good enough with it to use it hunting, but I'm still overbowed with it, so it probably won't go afield this year.
Don't remember having this much fun with my clothes on in a long time.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11135 on: October 13, 2012, 09:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by ron w:
Maybe I missed it earlier in this thread, but was there ever a Hill Bow made with a reverse handle? Just curious as I just picked up a Northern Mist Whisper and it seems kind'a neat! So what can you tell me? Thanks in advance.......ron w
A real nice one on the bay right now.
As well as a Shultz built Tembo
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11136 on: October 13, 2012, 10:25:00 PM »
Got bored today and frustrated with some plumbing woes, so I needed an escape.

I finally started my Hill style quiver.

23" tall 6 7/8" ID wide. Lefty, of course. Still need to do the bottom and attach the strap.

Maybe tomorrow. It's drying right now. Folding 6-7oz leather is impossible to do when it's dry. I had to soak it down.

TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline DWilhelm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11137 on: October 14, 2012, 05:15:00 AM »
Your quiver is looking real nice.  Quality job!

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11138 on: October 14, 2012, 08:37:00 AM »
A few pages back, there was a question about HH forward handle bows. Here is a pic of Mr. Hill shooting one. This is from Craig Ekin's book, Howard Hill, the Man and the Legend. Sorry about the poor quality, my scanner was giving me fits.

If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11139 on: October 14, 2012, 08:38:00 AM »
good job on the quiver Bud!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©