3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 137846 times)

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #11160 on: October 16, 2012, 01:17:00 AM »
Mudd has a surprise coming!   :clapper:    ;)  

Wonder what it could be.....hhhmmm  something befitting a merry man of Sherwood.....

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11161 on: October 16, 2012, 09:50:00 AM »
:bigsmyl:
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Ray_G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11162 on: October 16, 2012, 04:00:00 PM »
Looking forward to seeing photos of Mudd sporting his new _______     :wavey:
Sunset Hill 64" 54# @ 26"  "Destiny"

B.H.A.

Offline MikeNova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11163 on: October 16, 2012, 05:46:00 PM »
I bet its a super nice back quiver. After taxes I may have to place an order too. Mudd did youever see the pic of the alligator armguard nate made me. Its a good one!

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11164 on: October 16, 2012, 07:17:00 PM »
I didn't know there were gators in Idaho!
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11165 on: October 16, 2012, 08:51:00 PM »
I used the Hill style some today. After adjusting the strap to get the base to sit near my right elbow, I think I might be able to get the hang of it.

I got'em both oiled up and ready to go.

Archery season ends soon here in NC. Then the thundersticks take over. Hopefully I'll get some field time in and see how it goes.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11166 on: October 16, 2012, 08:57:00 PM »
Bud, those look nice, but you put the straps on the wrong side.    ;)

Just kidding. What did you use for leather? I've been looking into building my next one in the true Hill style this time. I found a place online that sells English bridle leather, which is what Nate recommends. Looks like you've got them bending nicely.

Russ
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11167 on: October 16, 2012, 08:58:00 PM »
Oops. Don't know how the double post thing happened.

:knothead:

Russ
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11168 on: October 16, 2012, 09:30:00 PM »
I use Zack White Leather in Ramseur, NC. It's about 15ish miles from my house. It's 6-7oz vegetable tanned leather. Oiled down with Olive oil. Once it's broken in I have some leather conditioner I'll rub on it.

Bridle leather is nicer, but you'll pay for it. The piece of leather I made both of those quivers from was less than $40. One piece cut from it was 26" x 20". The other piece was 26" x 18". I have lots of scrap left over and used the same leather for the base and straps. I doubled up the leather on the bottom to keep BHs from poking thru eventually. Barring my time I have less than $50 in both quivers.

google Zack White Leather and cruise their site and compare. They have Herman Oak leather also...but it is premier leather and high quality and obviously more expensive. If your starting out, try the veg tan first. It's good leather and will last a looong time if cared for properly.

I really wanted to try out a true Hill style quiver but couldn't part with the $ just to have it not work out. This way, if it doesn't work out, I'll pass it along to someone who can give it a go and not be out a whole lot of funds.

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11169 on: October 16, 2012, 09:58:00 PM »
one thing about veg tan leather for quivers....if it is of decent weight (around 8 oz), over time it will tend to get stiff if not oiled like crazy.....latigo and bridle leather will stay more supple.  English bridle won't stain clothing and stays more supple in cold weather than latigo.  yeah, you pay for it, but you only need one in your lifetime.....well, maybe two if you are using it over 30 or 40 years

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11170 on: October 16, 2012, 10:04:00 PM »
Bud,  most newbie backquiver guys have the quiver adjusted too high on the back.  You shouldn't be able to reach the arrow nock unless you bump up the quiver with your bowhand or bowarm elbow.  

The process is this:  when reaching for an arrow, both arms go back by squeezing the shoulder blades together....one hand reaching for the nock, other hand bumping up the quiver.  Choreographed movement.  Then after grabbing the nock, both hands move forward, one drawing out the arrow, the other bringing the bow into play.  The physical weight of the quiver will let it slide back into position, which helps the arrow clear leather easier.  A wide quiver allows you to pull the arrow out on an angle (which is easier) unlike a narrow tube quiver which forces you to draw the arrow straight out the end and alot of guys don't have arms long enough for that.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11171 on: October 16, 2012, 10:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by sunset hill:
Bud,  most newbie backquiver guys have the quiver adjusted too high on the back.  You shouldn't be able to reach the arrow nock unless you bump up the quiver with your bowhand or bowarm elbow.  ...

That's what I'm working on right now. Trying to get a bump and be able to reach it.

In some of Hill's old photos I noticed how his strap looked to go right under his armpit or very close. Schultz too. It looked to me to be too tight, but I'm guessing it's to help it be close to the elbow.

It's a work in progress, but today's session was promising. I'm cautiously optimistic.  :)

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11172 on: October 16, 2012, 10:55:00 PM »
I did manage to get out in the tree stand for a while.

No deer, but the fall colors are creeping in around here.

This is a small hickory I topped last year to hide behind. I use some of the clipped branches to hang my back quiver on it. I balanced the Dave Johnson along the top and took a cell phone pic.

We're about 25' up.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11173 on: October 17, 2012, 08:57:00 AM »
I'm leaving tomorrow on a trip up north with KennyM near Kirksville, Mo.

It should be a great hunt and I always look forward to this hunt with a lot of anticipation. All I have to do is pack my case and clean up a couple of issues with the printer of my book and I'm ready. Books should be ready to ship when I get back.

I gave my fiberglass backed bow "Stubby" his place in the sun on my last trip to Kansas with Tracy Potter. Stubby did just fine for me.

This time "Blondie" is in the bull pen. She's already been blooded on spring turkeys so I know she knows the drill.  

I really want a big doe or two for the freezer so that should keep me occupied while I wait for one of the lunker bucks that cruise the property.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11174 on: October 17, 2012, 09:45:00 AM »
"Sic'em" Charlie!!

Thanks for sharing your pictures with us,I never tire of seeing them.

I have my doubts that you have any bows that aren't well trained and remain "on the ready" to be called up at a moments notice.

God bless,Mudd    :archer:
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11175 on: October 17, 2012, 12:17:00 PM »
I guess to each his own ways...I don't want to have to bump my back quiver to reach an arrow.  My quiver rides just right to gently reach back and grab the nock of my arrow.  I don't like/can't comfortably reach arrows that lay over a good bit off my shoulder.  Older shoulders don't work as smoothly as younger  ones.    :D   My quiver works just great this way, ymmv.   :thumbsup:  There's usually more than one way to skin a cat, as they say.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11176 on: October 17, 2012, 12:27:00 PM »
David Mitchell~" There's usually more than one way to skin a cat, as they say."

Here is what works for me and it requires very little unnecessary movement.

Mudd's Mudd Flap

God bless,Mudd
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11177 on: October 17, 2012, 12:30:00 PM »
Yep, well familiar with the famous "Mudd Flap" and have recommended it to a friend who struggles with back quivers due to shoulder surgery.  I haven't needed one...yet, but will if the time comes.  Pretty simple and clever adaptation, Mudd!
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline MikeNova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11178 on: October 17, 2012, 02:09:00 PM »
Well I'll be in the woods tomarrow morning. Pig or Deer makes no difference!

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11179 on: October 17, 2012, 02:31:00 PM »
I like mine to need to be bumped because I can move through thick stuff easier that way and the arrows are quieter.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©