3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 137745 times)

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #11260 on: October 21, 2012, 05:18:00 PM »
Wonderful hunting guys!!!!

Khard, shooting looks good to me, keep it up.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11261 on: October 21, 2012, 08:12:00 PM »
Wow, Whatta horse! Very nice supply of yummy venison!
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11262 on: October 21, 2012, 08:21:00 PM »
Since we're showing some recent kills, here's mine from last night.  This was with a Hill style bow of my own making - 68", 59# @ 28".  As the doe came in, I was concentrating on a tuft of hair above her elbow on the left side.  At 15 yards, she turned broadside and my arrow was on it's way.  I don't remember drawing the bow, just the arrow in flight and it actually hit that tuft of hair.  Good double lung hit and she was down in about 75 yards.

I had Ron autograph this bow when I met him at Denton Hill in 2011.  I think it gave it a little more mo-jo.

Now, I know my hunting attire isn't quite in the Hill style, but the early muzzleloader season and early youth/senior rifle season was in here in PA, so us bowhunters have to wear orange when moving about.  Gotta obey the law and keep yourself safe.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11263 on: October 21, 2012, 09:19:00 PM »
Awesome Hunt!!!
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11264 on: October 21, 2012, 09:24:00 PM »
Good form khardrunner.... :)

Wow..all these success stories!  I slipped up to a three (eastern 6) pt. Buck this evening...30 yards on the ground...only angle was through the guts so I manuevered for a better shot and he didn't hang around.  Sooo close.  

Keep up the good work fellas

Online shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11265 on: October 21, 2012, 09:42:00 PM »
John, good for you.  Congratulations.
Shick
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11266 on: October 21, 2012, 10:06:00 PM »
jsweka,
great harvest and great job on the build of your own bow

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11267 on: October 21, 2012, 10:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ralphie:
Posting this for Louis Lucido

Man this is awesome, great deer!!!
Thom

Offline toddster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11268 on: October 21, 2012, 11:50:00 PM »
Thanks to all, and great does guys awesome job.  Yes Nate am trying to hit it hard and make up for last year knee surgery.  This keeps up, might need a new bow after wearing this one out.  Now if only I can find those turkeys to stalk....

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11269 on: October 22, 2012, 05:40:00 AM »
Nate, those shafts are cut 28.5 inches BOP. I think my bow arm was just a little too straight like when I shoot my recurve. I feel more comfortable with the LB when it's just a touch more bent.
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline louislucido

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11270 on: October 22, 2012, 06:55:00 AM »
Toddster, You shoot a nice doe and I'm glade you did Hit Hill style or staulking as you call it !
You can't do that on a Michigan White tail! These deer have alot of hunting pressure ., with crossbow guns, sentlock, all kinds of gagets the deer got it ruff . I wish I could hunt the way you did. around here you might get bammbee thats it . Anyway Nice Job congrads and Nate Builds a nice looking Bow !  lOUIE

Offline EASTERNARCHER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11271 on: October 22, 2012, 11:20:00 AM »
I see alot of mention of Sunset Hill bows on this thread....Is there a website I can look at the bows more closely?
ARCHER

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11272 on: October 22, 2012, 12:38:00 PM »
Nope no website.  Just a fellar that makes a few for the fun of it not as a business.  He is already overloaded with orders just my word of mouth.  I will have one some day, I'm on his list but I have no idea how far down.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11273 on: October 22, 2012, 12:42:00 PM »
Chris glad to hear you are in line for a Sunset Hill.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11274 on: October 22, 2012, 01:33:00 PM »
Just in case....I just listed a Hill Half Breed on the classifieds, 66" 45# @ 28" string follow with the short riser. I'm thinking one or 2 Hill guys look at this post....LOL!!!   :biglaugh:   Thanks ron w
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11275 on: October 22, 2012, 02:21:00 PM »
What Ron? Really?

I have a question guys,  How big is the handle on your Hill bows?  My death wish was super comfy and it was around 5 1/8', and this new C&N I got is by far the most pleasant bow I have shot to date.  so out of curiosity I measured the grip because I know it is longer than most I have owned and it too is 5 1/8'.  I think I have found my sweet spot size.  My Hoyt trophy is 5".  

How long is the handle on ya'lls HHA bows?

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11276 on: October 22, 2012, 07:43:00 PM »
Ok everybody, the Wesely special arrived from Canada today. And what can I say other than amazing. We have all heard of the handshock associated with HHA bows and this wesely has NONE.  It is a dream to shoot and is fast.  And here recently we have heard about the plus side of string follow bows but I must say the reflexed Wesely and C&N are very very well behaved and very quick.  I owned a string follow for a while and I will say that I do not see an advantage to the sting follow compared to these two that I own.

Also the standard straight grip Craig is putting out is great.  Very repeatable, comfy like a glove and lets just say I am very happy with this bow.  

I am personally not a fan of the bright yellow bamboo and hoestly prefer red elm cores bows but I think the wesely has found a home.

Offline toddster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11277 on: October 22, 2012, 10:07:00 PM »
louislucido- I know what you mean.  I have found that instead of heading home after a morning hunt, like 90% of guys do, I stalk through and area and scout and look for deer.  It has been very productive not just with blood on the arrow but alot of close memories.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11278 on: October 23, 2012, 01:35:00 PM »
Here is a little side by side comparison of my two American Semi-longbows.  The Black glass/Boo is a Howard Hill Wesely Special 68" 60@28  The dark one is a C&N 68" 55@28.  Both are reflexed. The Hill seems to be 1/2" and the C&N was build with 1" of reflex.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11279 on: October 23, 2012, 01:46:00 PM »
Handle:  Hill 2 1/16"  C&N 2 1/14 at base, 1 15/16 under shelve,  (consistent slope)
Limb width: Hill/riser fade 1 1/16" C&N 1 1/8",   limb tips both are 1/2",  Both are 1/2" deep cores at the riser fades,  both are roughly 3/8" at the tips.  

Handle length: HIll 4 1/2"  C&N 5 1/4"  
riser length:  Hill 15"  C&N 12 1/2".  

Both shoot wonderful.  The 1/16' difference in limb width is very noticeable to the naked eye though.  The C&N seems more "beefy" and the Hill more narrow and refined.  I will say this though, but neither of them have no perceived handshock whatsoever.  The Hill is a little twangier (if that makes sense), where as the C&N has a solid thud.  I will say the hill seems faster to point as opposed to the C&N, but not by much.  The C&N weighs a touch more, (probably a few ounces at most)  It will be hard to choose one over the other, but I will say that I am a huge fan of the feel from the American Semi-Longbow.  I do enjoy my mile D/R "D" bows but on the shot you can tell the difference between them and I prefer the "HIll Style" bows.

The C&N has red elm cores, which this is my second Red Elm cored bow and I really do like the feel of them.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©