3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 137717 times)

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #11300 on: October 25, 2012, 01:07:00 PM »
Thanks Nate!

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11301 on: October 25, 2012, 02:17:00 PM »
Khadrunner, what inconsistencies are you seeing?

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11302 on: October 25, 2012, 02:55:00 PM »
I have a number of problems with my arrow flight. Some days are better than others which leads me to think form issues on those days. However, I consistently get nock high flight with my arrows. Whether I am bareshafting or paper tuning I always get nock high. I've tried moving brace heights, nocking points, and even arrow spines (due to bow cant angles effecting what the bareshaft/tear is or is not actually showing). I NEVER see any difference. I've tried nocking above, under, 2 nocking points, etc. It never changes.

If I shoot my ILF recurve (I hate to like that bow) I get nearly perfect flight every shot no matter what arrow I shoot.

With my Hill bows, I feel that I can't begin to hit what I'm aiming at because every shot flys differently. Not so with my ILF rig.

By the way, I grew up shooting Hill style and hill style bows. I MUCH prefer that style bow but I cannot shoot it consistently .... yet.
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11303 on: October 25, 2012, 03:21:00 PM »
Khard.....are you shooting arrows with fletch or bareshaft?  Sometimes simple is best.....get some wood arrows with 3-5" feathers,  spined about 10# over bow weight, 125 gr. Heads,  put your nocking point under the arrow so that the arrow nock is 3/16 above 90* and then just go out and shoot.  Shoot some more.  Try to keep the technical side out of your head for awhile.  Have fun, learn how the bow shoots.  Shoot 500-1000 arrows this way for fun and then lets talk about inconsistent flight.

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11304 on: October 25, 2012, 04:00:00 PM »
Perhaps I forget that I am so new to shooting LH since I shot RH so long (20 years is a long time for a 29 yr old!). I shot 10's of thousands of arrows RH.

Right now I have my Hill arrows spined at 60-65 lbs with 160 grn heads cut to 28.5 inches and I draw all the way to the point. Nocking point was set at 3/16 - 1/4 above 0. I always place the nocking point below the nock. I got decent flight. I did all my shooting at 30 yrds or 10 yds (give or take, I never measure exactly) today. My bow is 50 lbs @ 28 inches since I'm shooting that schulz you refinished.

I guess I matched up your recommendations pretty well by accident.
I Corinthians 9 24-25

« Reply #11305 on: October 25, 2012, 04:48:00 PM »
When I made the part of the time switch to left hand, I found that my form needed slight changes from doing the exact mirror of my right hand. There were different tendencies. one being, my anchor would get too high on my cheek, which caused an imbalance in my release fingers. Another was that my neck does not rotate the same to the right as it does to the left, shooting thousands of arrows a week for 55 years can do that, so I had a different eye to arrow to target picture that I had to work out. Also, my draw length with perfect form is 1/2" shorter left than right, if I try to force the 26 & 1/4" plus on the left that natural feel for the target is gone.  On my Schulz bows exactly 1/8" up from 90 is the sweet spot with wood arrows, anything over 3/16" for me would definitely show up in every shot.  The biggest mistake i ever made in archery is not taking John Shulz's advice when I ordered my first longbow, I went heavy because I was very strong at the time.  I later bought two 64@26" bows from John and I should have started out with the 55 yew he suggested. Then in later years I thought that I could really use a 55 pound Schulz legend to go with my 64 pound legend, I messed up again and got another heavy bow to go with my other 85 to 96 pound bows.  The one guy that lived about an hour from here did not like me to  even look at his 52 pound Legend. I think he was afraid that if I ever got my hands on his bow, I could out run him and he would have been right, he had short legs.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11306 on: October 25, 2012, 04:52:00 PM »
Nate,
The part two lesson was very interesting. I like how you portrayed the arrow arc into your post.  It's wonderfull knowing what your arrows do.  I made a post a few pages back of how I see mine in measurements.  

But I really enjoyed your post to Khard.  The simple act of shooting minus the technical jargon does majical things to your overall shooting I believe.   Consistency, accuracy , speed, everything starts to come together.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11307 on: October 25, 2012, 05:02:00 PM »
Brian...yes I saw similarities in your post but didn't want to say anything at that time....it is really all just learning your bow...learning your arrow flight and just shooting.  You just put hard numbers to it.

I find that the more I shoot, the more good shots I make.

Pavan....good points.  I know my lefty form is different than the righty usual form even though I try to mimic it.

Offline MikeNova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11308 on: October 25, 2012, 07:18:00 PM »
Nate let me ask you so I know I'm doing this right. As you pointed out when I first started this I was shooting a bit high. Now my sight picture has corrected and I'm hitting the dot consistantly at ten yards. Is this what I was trying to change the sight picture where I'm hitting the dot at ten yards?

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11309 on: October 25, 2012, 07:37:00 PM »
Thanks to Nate not only for the great quiver but for watching my previous video and making a suggestion that seems to be helping me to get the quiver working the way it's supposed to.

This is literally the 1st arrows out of the quiver after making the adaption of lengthening the strap.

I think I will get smoother at it in very short order.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11310 on: October 25, 2012, 08:25:00 PM »
Khad, were you generally shooting carbons?   I agree with Nate, go simple, play with the nock point a little, use woodies fletched and even cock feather in if need be.  I have a friend that went to woods and I would guess he wouldn't go back by the dz's of woodies he' made.

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11311 on: October 25, 2012, 08:31:00 PM »
Mike...you are fine...your instinctive eye will/should make the adjustment....I was just pointing out the arrow trajectory at ten yards isn't flat with your bowshelf as it would seem

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11312 on: October 25, 2012, 08:55:00 PM »
Useful info Nate.  It goes well with a YouTube link Brianlocal3 posted back around page 750.  That video showed what you are describing.  The way you described it though made my understanding much clearer.  Theses shorter days sure are cutting into my shooting time.  All these great ideas to try out and it's too dark to shoot when I get home.

Offline MikeNova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11313 on: October 25, 2012, 08:58:00 PM »
Thanx Nate just being sure. If a certain bow doesnt bring one down tomarrow morning I'm betting it will halloween day. Thats my good luck day.

Offline MikeNova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11314 on: October 25, 2012, 09:00:00 PM »
Mudd nice quiver!

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11315 on: October 25, 2012, 09:10:00 PM »
Actually that was with my surewoods I just described. Really it doesn't matter whether it's carbons, woods or aluminums.

Things seemed to work fairly well today, though I can't hit the broadside of a barn past about 15 yards with any consistency.

I'll keep workin on it I suppose
I Corinthians 9 24-25

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11316 on: October 26, 2012, 07:40:00 AM »
Khad,   I've posted this before, but nocking above can help smooth out arrow flight at times.  A lot of people torque the string/arrow when drawn, myself included at times.  If you look down the shaft from behind, the arrow looks flexed downward.  I see this all the time.  Shooting above the nock takes most, if not all of that out because you can't exert the same pressure on the arrow. It takes a week to get used to, and I make it so my nocks don't slide around, just snug.  It he's with the transition.

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11317 on: October 26, 2012, 08:05:00 AM »
I always nock above with the nocking point below the arrow.
I Corinthians 9 24-25

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11318 on: October 26, 2012, 10:50:00 AM »
Switch back to RH    :D

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11319 on: October 26, 2012, 11:18:00 AM »
haha thanks :-)

Can't do that though. Shoulder is done forever.

It's likely that I'm being way to picky anyway. I just need to keep working.
I Corinthians 9 24-25

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©