3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 137675 times)

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #11340 on: October 27, 2012, 11:24:00 PM »
:archer:
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11341 on: October 27, 2012, 11:50:00 PM »
Nice shot Charlie!

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11342 on: October 28, 2012, 12:45:00 AM »
Nice en Charlie!
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline Looper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11343 on: October 28, 2012, 12:45:00 AM »
Charlie, that looks like some mighty fine table fare. Nice shooting.

Kyle, I went back and looked at your videos. Your elbow looks fine to me. It must be something else. Have you tried rotating your nocks. Your fletching might be causing the porpoising. I was shooting some the other day and had a couple of 4 fletched shafts mixed in with my normal 3 fletch. The 3 fletch flew perfectly, but the 4 fletch porpoised on me. I rotated the nocks a little and the flight straightened right out.

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11344 on: October 28, 2012, 06:21:00 AM »
Might have to try that. Sounds like a good idea. I'll keep working at it. Had arrows flying pretty well the last few days.
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11345 on: October 28, 2012, 07:41:00 AM »
Dang Charlie,
You are a doe killing machine!
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11346 on: October 28, 2012, 08:07:00 AM »
It's important at my house that we have lots of venison (deer) in the freezer to last all year. It's our preference to beef.

Those pics are actually two separate animals. The bow is "Blondie" my all bamboo bow and I used a STOS modified to accept a small Magnus bleeder on one and a Simmons Interceptor with Pearson Switchblade bleeder on the other.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11347 on: October 28, 2012, 10:42:00 AM »
Charlie, looks like you're having way too much fun, grin...

Good shooting.

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11348 on: October 28, 2012, 03:00:00 PM »
Good shooting charlie.
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline cobweb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11349 on: October 28, 2012, 04:44:00 PM »
great shooting
cobweb

Offline toddster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11350 on: October 28, 2012, 07:46:00 PM »
great hunting charlie

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11351 on: October 28, 2012, 10:22:00 PM »
With all the seasons going on it has really been fun watching the Hill bows at work. So much so that I began to start thinking about our upcoming season in December and how I would like to take a buck with my Ekin built Hill Takedown. The Kramer needs a rest.

This T/D is the same bow I posted about earlier that seems to need an overly heavy spine and that still remains true. But I also struggled with grip hand pressure needing it to be quite low on the grip to prevent porpoise effect.
I checked tiller at the fades and found the bottom limb to be 1/4" less than the top. Is that normal? The Kramer is even tiller.
A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight;nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety;is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free,unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Offline louislucido

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11352 on: October 29, 2012, 06:53:00 AM »
Canyon, that is normal , I'm not a bow builder, but I'm almost positive the bottum limb is 1/8 to 1/4 less bend , its done on purpose . when you grab the bow you don;t grab it in the middle , your hand is above middle , that is one reason why ! good luck Hunting , Louie

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11353 on: October 29, 2012, 07:29:00 AM »
Do you mean the string is 1/8"  nearer the riser fade than the top?  If so that's normal for most bows.  The reason is what Louie said.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11354 on: October 29, 2012, 08:52:00 AM »
Even tiller is usually for three under shooters.
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline MikeNova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11355 on: October 29, 2012, 10:21:00 AM »
Charlie congrats how bout sending me some meat I'm batting a big fat 0! I am going to be in the woods halloween morning and thats my lucky day!

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11356 on: October 29, 2012, 11:45:00 AM »
Thanks for the tiller info. David it is 1/4" closer on the bottom limb. I am still trying to figure out why I cant get this bow to shoot an arrow consistently  but do fine with all the rest of my Hill bows.
A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight;nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety;is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free,unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11357 on: October 29, 2012, 11:57:00 AM »
Did you try moving your nock point?

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11358 on: October 29, 2012, 12:21:00 PM »
Yep its been from 0 to 3/4". I should have not used consistently above as they shoot consistant just never straight. I was thinking it was me (and it may still be) but yesterday I put this bow down picked up my Kramer and saw nothing but fletch as arrow after arrow headed to the target.

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11359 on: October 29, 2012, 01:12:00 PM »
Tiller isn't always a measurement.  We've gotten lazy as a general rule with modern bowyery.  It's too easy to get a measurement at the fadeouts and call that tiller.  Tiller is watching the limb bend of both limbs and working the limbs until they bend evenly and uniformly along the length of the limb...regardless of what the measurement says.  I've built many bows where the tiller measurement of both limbs is equal but the limbs bend evenly.

I have retillered many name brand bows that are built via cnc type machining and production line facilities and were horribly out of tiller but the tape measure said 1/8" positive like it supposed to be. Tillering takes an eye and time.  You should feel even pressure on top and bottom finger as you pull the limbs slowly, if one finger has more pressure, then the tiller and possibly timing is out of sync.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©