3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 137632 times)

Offline molongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #11400 on: November 01, 2012, 10:05:00 AM »
I would like to introduce myself, new here. From Mo. Have many Hill bows and a couple Miller bows no glass and a Schrew Hill I have very much enjoyed reading all the posts. As it should be, a lot of fun. Love the long bow and may they live on forever.I would like to say an all wood laminated longbow with no glass is one seet shooter.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11401 on: November 01, 2012, 10:40:00 AM »
Welcome  molongbowman!!

It's good to see another Missourian with the same affliction.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11402 on: November 01, 2012, 11:32:00 AM »
Welcome monolongbowman!  I am a Hill Shrew Lover as well.  This is a great place to meet folks and read posts on all things traditional.  I look forward to reading some of your posts in the future.

Bob.  :coffee:
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline molongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11403 on: November 01, 2012, 12:23:00 PM »
Thanks, Bob. How do you feel about the grip on the Shrew? Like or not. Very different than on a Hill. I have not as yet made up my mind. I will say this they sure shoot good. Seems eaiser to get consistent hand placement. Maybe also harder to torque. I just bought it and am just getting used to it. You are right this is a great place!!

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11404 on: November 01, 2012, 12:55:00 PM »
Molongbowman,

I like the grip.  I like larger grips even though I have averaged sized hands.  The sharp wedge took some getting used to, especially since most of my other bows have a dish.  However, I do like it and in fact, I put an extra wrap on it ... makes it a bit larger in the handle.  That large handle jsut feels great to me and my shooting is real consistant.  I love how quiet the bow is. I guess it is so simple, so elegant, yet so deadly.  It is a joy to hunt with.

Bob.

Offline molongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11405 on: November 01, 2012, 01:07:00 PM »
Yes, I agree. Funny I also thought about rewrapping the grip and putting rough side of leather out. Your right the sharp wedge has some getting used to. My old Kramer longbow has a narrow grip and deep. I like that style grip as well. Overall a great bow. Simple and elegant. Steve

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11406 on: November 01, 2012, 05:40:00 PM »
Hey guys.  I'm looking to switch from carbon to wood shafts.  I shoot several Hill-style longbows from 40-50# at my 25" draw length.  I'd prefer to shoot 150-165 grain field points and broadheads.  I'd also like to go with Sitka Spruce or Douglas Fir.  Any help you can throw at me is much appreciated.
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11407 on: November 01, 2012, 06:52:00 PM »
Mike,Sent you a pm

Offline molongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11408 on: November 01, 2012, 07:15:00 PM »
Mikebiz, I also just switched from carbon to wood. Carbon to many parts. I ordered some  doug fir shafts from a suppler here they were so so. Then I ordered some from Hildebrand. Much better quality and ordered them tapered. They shoot very quiet and you can get them in a variety of weights. Call Hildebrand they are very helpfull. Steve

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11409 on: November 01, 2012, 07:16:00 PM »
Surewoods from Braveheart. Tim is the best.
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11410 on: November 01, 2012, 07:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by khardrunner:
Surewoods from Braveheart. Tim is the best.
My experience also.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11411 on: November 01, 2012, 07:27:00 PM »
MOLONG, I ve got nothing but first class shafts from Hildebrand, Spruce & Fir.

Eric

Offline molongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11412 on: November 01, 2012, 07:53:00 PM »
Eric, yes I agree. The other DF I bought from elsewhere were not so good. For me it will be Hildebrand. Tapered a little harder to find but they do them as well. Steve

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11413 on: November 02, 2012, 01:27:00 AM »
I have always has excellent shafts form Hilderant.  Great customer service and great shafts ... they are top notch!!

Bob.

Offline John McCreary

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11414 on: November 02, 2012, 09:48:00 AM »
If you're not into building your own try  www.thefeatheredshaft.com  Rick is a heck of a good guy and builds some good looking woodies.
Who ever called this the "Golden Years" never lived this long...

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11415 on: November 02, 2012, 07:35:00 PM »
Hey all.

Are the BAMA BOWS considered Hill Style longbows?

Nalajr

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11416 on: November 02, 2012, 07:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by Nala:
Hey all.

Nalajr
Some of them, yes. The Hunter model is nice, but some would not count them as true HH style bows. I do. But that's just me.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11417 on: November 02, 2012, 08:18:00 PM »
BamaBows technically aren't Hill-style American Semi-Longbows.  They are built differently.  True they do brace to a D-shape like a Hill, but they are not deep cored or narrow-limbed like a Hill.  They are built more in the flatbow style.  Also the grip on the Bama is basically a reverse teardrop, with the belly side of the grip being wider, tapering more to a point on the backside.  Quite the opposite of the wedge grip that Howard, Schulz, Swinehart and others (including me) prefer.  

I'm sure that many people will argue that this is all just semantics.  However there are specific differences in the design and construction of "flat" Semi-longbows and "Hill" Semi-longbows.  Those differences may be subtle, but they all add up to a very different bow.  

That said, I owned a BamaBow and it was very nice.  Nate builds a beautiful bow.  Great custom work and a heck of a nice to guy to deal with.  Excellent bow for the price.
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline louislucido

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11418 on: November 02, 2012, 08:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bud B.:

Originally posted by Nala:
Hey all.

Nalajr
Some of them, yes. The Hunter model is nice, but some would not count them as true HH style bows. I do. But that's just me. [/b]
i LOOKED at their web page I saw one that might be , but I would say know . you need a stait limb , sting follow , or slight back set .No reflex /deflex . Persomally I think they all should have a strait grip , but alot of guy's would argue that ! anyway personaly the only real one's that I can think of are Hill,Sunset Hill,Northern mist,Dave Miller,Shrew Hill, Dave Johnson !  THESE ARE A FEW IN NO PATICULAR ORDER !  GOOD luck   Louie

Offline emt137

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11419 on: November 02, 2012, 08:35:00 PM »
Does anyone have any contact info for Dave Johnson?
"For man only stays human by preserving large patches of simplicity in his life, while the tendency of many modern inventions...is to weaken his consciousness, dull his curiosity, and, in general, drive him nearer to the animals." -George Orwell

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©