3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 137540 times)

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #11460 on: November 09, 2012, 08:46:00 PM »
Here's a Northern Mist Hill style bow journey this season... I started the season missing a chip shot at a doe, and a small buck in Michigan...just warming up, because I made a good shot on a decent buck.  Why I get nervous on does, and not bucks, I'll never know. The does seem a lot more wary, and I am starting to think they are an amazing trophy when you shoot a large, old doe. This was from a treestand, about 14 yds, quartering away and the arrow from the 50# NM Classic passed through both lungs.  I posted the broadhead story on another thread, but I must say, the Grizzly 170gr razor sharp made an amazing blood trail.

Offline False Cast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11461 on: November 09, 2012, 08:55:00 PM »
Well done, Overspined! I'm trying to fill my MI bow tag with a Hill-style this year too.

I also agree on the remark about the old does. I'm almost relieved to see a buck alone.

I'd be ecstatic if I was able to harvest a buck like that.

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11462 on: November 09, 2012, 08:58:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  

A most-excellent buck taken with a most-excellent longbow and broadhead combination!

Way to go Matt!

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11463 on: November 09, 2012, 09:01:00 PM »
Then I head to Illinois. I see some deer, and I'm hunting with the wheelie bow guys. I shot with them on the block target, and I think they were unimpressed, and and felt sorry for me. That's okay, I don't shoot well in front of other people, like a lot of archers I know.  A few more shots after they went inside, and I was good to go. Nobody shot a deer that weekend, or took a shot.  

The next week, I'm ready to go, and happen to be alone on the property...prime time, and now I am familiar with the stand locations, most of which are terrible for a trad bow.  The first morning, Nov 7, I see a doe and fawn at 10 am, and decide to take a risk.  There are almost no locations for a N wind, so I sit right by a trail where deer will hopefully travel downwind of me, but close enough they won't wind me at about 15 yds.  I am in my climber stand, I needed to make that adjustment for things to work and get right on top of them.

I sleep the day away, only awakening to the Boon and Crocket squirrels that keep waking me up. Shortly after 4 pm, I hear a funny sounding squirrel that turns out to be a really nice buck at 15 yds, on that trail, directly downwind and behind me.  Like a lot of guys here, I try to play the wind and keep it simple. Wool, all the way. He doesn't smell me and continues on, passing on my left side.

When he started walking, I grab my bow off the hook, an arrow from the GFA quiver, and frantically, but smoothly, nock an arrow. I ready for the shot, but a moment too late as he passes through the first opening at 17 yds. I couldn't bear to rush the shot. Ohhhh, so close, and perfect.  Ugh.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11464 on: November 09, 2012, 09:09:00 PM »
He approaches the second gap, and as he passes through I see my arrow meet his shoulder, I have no idea how far he is.  I have my fingers crossed and all my focus in on that animal, as if there is nothing else in my world at that time.

He picks up the pace and travels 12 yds, where he stops with my arrow hanging out of the side of him, hanging as if I didn't get through the shoulder.  I thought I hit a bit high and forward, but I have confidence...barely.

He looks around, 5-10 seconds of looking around, he has no idea what happened, didn't hear the bow, and only felt the arrow.  He trots into the thicket, and disappears.  I shoot a 50# bow, and 615 gr arrows(total wt), grizzly 170 gr.

I doubt my shot, but I can hear him choking in the thicket for about 2 minutes.  Then, silence.  No running, moving, falling...nothing.

30 long minutes I sit.  I quietly back out for the night and am afraid to pursue him and jump him, as I think I only got one lung.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11465 on: November 09, 2012, 09:20:00 PM »
I thought of going back in, but Eric (typical2) said he never loses deer if he leaves them overnight on a questionable hit.  I took his advice.

I wake up at 3 AM to go find him.  I wander into the thicket and jump several deer.  My flashlight beam shines a barred owl perched on a stick 10 yds away, I was interrupting his hunting.  I wondered, what was the likelihood of deer bedding by a dead deer...I was tense.  I wander to where the deer were bedded and suddenly I see a smatter of blood, my heart jumps, and then I see him.

I back track the blood trail, and wonder why I questioned the shot....

And finally...

Offline typical2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11466 on: November 09, 2012, 09:24:00 PM »
Matt...that's pretty!

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11467 on: November 09, 2012, 09:41:00 PM »
Wow, that's why I check for a blood trail before backing out. If I saw that, I'd be on it as soon as possible. I like to get them opened up as quickly as I can and get the hide off and the carcass cooling.

Anyway, congrats on a nice shot at a nice buck. I'm still trying to wait out these east/southeast winds we keep having. I don't really have a good spot for that kind of wind.    :banghead:
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline typical2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11468 on: November 09, 2012, 09:49:00 PM »
And.........

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11469 on: November 09, 2012, 09:52:00 PM »
The night I got to the trailer, one of the boys that works the dairy farm next door approached me. I told him I hit one, and he asked me if it was with that longbow I shoot. I nodded.  He said with a smile that those guys told him not to worry, that I would never kill a deer out there with a longbow.

I text a picture of the deer to one of my hunting partners, and the reply was one of both excitement, and disbelief.  I had killed the biggest deer they had trail cam pics of on the property!

35 yds is about how far he went, no farther.  I paced off the distance and figure 25-28 yds on the shot. I know it's not a competition, and we can't pick which deer happens to walk by at any given time, but I am still in awe at this beautiful animal I was lucky enough to encounter and take with Hill style equipment. We don't get them all, and I've missed bigger! This was a 5 yr old buck.

Offline Bowitis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11470 on: November 09, 2012, 09:56:00 PM »
Very nice! and a great story
JD Berry Taipan
2 Heartland Surge

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11471 on: November 09, 2012, 10:00:00 PM »
Wow!!! one Helluva buck buddy!

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11472 on: November 09, 2012, 10:03:00 PM »
Whoooaaa, nice Buck Matt  :thumbsup:  

Well done my friend!

Eric

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11473 on: November 09, 2012, 10:11:00 PM »
I was looking at Overspined's pics again, especially the blood trail.  It got me to thinking about my Shrew Hill bow.  The little buck I shot I used a 580 grain arrow and single bevel heads ( Concords 145 grain ) shot at about 55 pounds.  The buck dropped as I shot through the shoulder and into the neck.  Well, as I finish the canning of the meat this evening I looked at the spine and dug out my head.  The spine was severed in two and the head actually was poking out the other side of the spine about 1/4 inch.  I mean the meat of the spine with the spinal column ... completely severed.  Man that is some power ... the head is still rather sharp by the way.  

It is no wonder why Overspined got such a wicked blood trail and such great penetration.  These Hill bows really pack a punch!!

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11474 on: November 09, 2012, 10:33:00 PM »
Outstanding Buck overspined.  That is a beautiful deer, with wonderful symmetry.  My father scores for Buckmaster magazine and  seeing a lot of antlers come thru our house when I was younger, Im here to tell you that rates with some of the best.  Even the 160" on  the wall right now.  Great job, and also I think someone had a hole in the bottom of their red paint in your woods
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11475 on: November 09, 2012, 10:40:00 PM »
Thanks guys, we don't all share the misses, but I've missed them, and killed them as much as anyone.  The icing on the cake is that I've killed my biggest ones with the Hill bow.  I had a long car ride with a fellow wheelie bow hunter, and once we laughed at some of my stories about the misses, he spills the beans.  Bow hunters miss a lot of animals....period.  He is hard core and had plenty of stories of his own about the big ones that get away.  If I couldn't laugh about it, I'd use a gun!    :archer:

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11476 on: November 10, 2012, 12:21:00 AM »
Great buck!

Congrats.

Offline bicster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11477 on: November 10, 2012, 04:07:00 AM »
Great accomplishment Matt!! You may have recruited new trad recruits too.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11478 on: November 10, 2012, 04:51:00 AM »
Ultra nice buck Sir!
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline toddster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11479 on: November 10, 2012, 07:45:00 AM »
Overspine great job and excellent shooting.  I am stuck at work, but will be back out there monday to try and put a sneak on.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©