3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 137501 times)

Offline toddster

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #11520 on: November 13, 2012, 04:25:00 PM »
great doe

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11521 on: November 13, 2012, 04:32:00 PM »
Congratulations Two4.  You only needed a dash of luck as it sounds like you prepped for the hunt really well.  Good job not giving up on the recovery.  Bad hits can take the wind out of your sails really quick.  Been there.
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11522 on: November 13, 2012, 07:14:00 PM »
Nice doe Greg, congrats!

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11523 on: November 13, 2012, 08:50:00 PM »
2for hooking,

Great doe and a classy hunting photo.  Posted up on Howard's birthday.   :thumbsup:
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline kestimator

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11524 on: November 13, 2012, 09:23:00 PM »
Congrats two4hooking!!
Nice photo too!!!
Have a nice day!
Kevin

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11525 on: November 13, 2012, 09:43:00 PM »
I posted this on the other topic but have any of yall shot the HHA bighorn sheep?  I am very interested in your thoughts
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11526 on: November 14, 2012, 04:59:00 AM »
I have not, but I owned a BamaBows longbow that was all Red Elm.  Beautifully grained wood that creates a nice natural camouflage effect.  I know it's the preferred core wood of Nate at BamaBow.  I liked the bow a lot.
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline toddster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11527 on: November 14, 2012, 05:20:00 AM »
never seen a bighorn, or a panther guess made of cedar.  Love the Redman beautiful bow

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11528 on: November 14, 2012, 11:04:00 AM »
Fellow Hill lovers, I got a new (to me) Yarak bow. Up until last week, I had no knowledge of these bows, but it is a Hill style, at least when braced. It has a very slight reflex when unstrung. This one is 57# @28, 66". It really slings an arrow; at about 20 yards, it is about 8" higher on the target than my 55# Wesley, so it will take some time to get my eye in tune with this bow. Here it is in comparison to my Wesley:

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac67/peastes/IMG_0313.jpg
According to Mark Baker, the bowyer, Tom Martini, was buddies with Dick Robertson, and made some bows for Robertson and some under his own brand (Yarak). The workmanship on this bow is very good. Yet another twist on the Classic Hill style.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11529 on: November 14, 2012, 12:31:00 PM »
That's a neat bow Centaur.

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11530 on: November 14, 2012, 08:32:00 PM »
Has anyone owned or handled bows (of any style) with risers made of African Blackwood or Gaboon Ebony?  If you've had each I'd especially like to hear from you.  I've seen some photos around and each one looks great.  I'd like some opinions on how "black" each one is.  I've seen some photos of Gaboon Ebony that have some brownish/reddish toned grain.  Not sure if this is typical.  The African Blackwood I've seen was straight black.  I want to choose the wood that is the blackest.  If they're both basically the same color wise, which one would you choose and why?

Also how do these woods feel weight wise as a Hill riser?  I know that African Blackwood is heavier on average than G. Ebony.  I'm looking to build a bow with a bit more mass in the riser as compared to Oregon Myrtle.  I know these two are heavier, but I'm hoping not too much.  Can't be all that bad given how small Hill risers are.

Thanks for the help.

Offline 3Under

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11531 on: November 14, 2012, 08:52:00 PM »
Don't have a Hill style with Ebony limbs but have a Take down RF/DF  longbow (Wes Wallace)with Macasar Ebony (has dark orange high lites limb lambs with 'boo cores)  and Gabon Ebony(Black/black) in the riser it shoots fairly quick . I would think a Hill style would shoot fine with the same combo!
PBS,KTBA,HCB,UBK

...  When thru the forest glades I wander and hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees, when I look down from lofty mountain grandeur and hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze, ...How great Thou art!

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11532 on: November 14, 2012, 09:00:00 PM »
Mike,I had a Wesley Special built this year that was named  "Blackwood". Blackwood riser,tips and center lam. Alot of blackwood is a deep dark brown with a purple hue to it.Beautiful,but not as dark as ebony. If you want a real deep dark black,I'd get the Gaboon Ebony.

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11533 on: November 14, 2012, 09:11:00 PM »
Sorry took me a minute to figure out the new Photobucket,here's a pic of "Blackwood".
It was a little heavier than my other Hill bows.Sold her to a Tradgang member.I'd ask the bowyer to find the "blackest" piece of Ebony he can get if you want a really dark riser.

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11534 on: November 14, 2012, 09:21:00 PM »
I've got an ebony handled Cheetah. I don't really notice a difference with regards to it or the other riser materials I've tried.... But it looks great! ;-)  
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline MikeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11535 on: November 14, 2012, 09:22:00 PM »
The Blackwood riser I had on a HHA Black Bear was a dark black and you could tell the weight was heavier than all my other Hill bows (Texas Ebony, Cocobolo, and Snakewood) Can't send pictures since I sold that bow.

Offline kestimator

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11536 on: November 14, 2012, 09:57:00 PM »
Wow Goshawkin and Rossco7002!!!  Very nice Hills!!!
Have a nice day!
Kevin

Offline kestimator

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11537 on: November 14, 2012, 09:59:00 PM »
Cool bows Centaur!!!
Have a nice day!
Kevin

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11538 on: November 14, 2012, 11:07:00 PM »
Thanks for the info and pics guys.  I think I'm gonna look for some Gaboon to use if this build comes to fruition.  Love that Cheetah with the ebony.  Juniper just looks sweet on a Hill.

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11539 on: November 15, 2012, 06:21:00 AM »
Originally posted by Rossco7002:
I've got an ebony handled Cheetah.
That's beautiful!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©