3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 137421 times)

Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #11540 on: November 15, 2012, 12:46:00 PM »
I nailed two trophies in one night. I was out with my whip ended Half Breed from a blank and saw two trophies come over the ridge when I was getting in my car an hour after sundown. I let them pass by me. Then later I saw them again across the valley on the high field. No way out and that is where they got trapped and nailed to the wall. That makes it five down and three to go.
  As side note a while back I was asked what a 55 pounds at 26" Big 5 would shoot.  I got an answer from the person who asked. An older Big 5 marked 54@26, with his 26.5" draw and arrows that average 515 grains, 164 to 171 fps.

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11541 on: November 15, 2012, 03:36:00 PM »
That is quick for 55#@26, I would say either the weight is mis marked or the chrony is off. Good stuff either way though. Most shoot a bit slower than that.

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11542 on: November 15, 2012, 08:16:00 PM »
I finished reading my copy of "Straight Shooting" by John Schulz a few weeks ago.  In Chapter 4 "In Camp with Howard Hill" there are two pictures of John & Dan Schulz at Timid Spring Camp in 1954.  They are pictured with Howard over some game they harvested.  What I found most interesting about the photos is that both of the Schulz boys were shooting what appear to be long, semi-recurve or reflex/deflex longbows at the time.  I was surprised to see that since they were hunting with the master of the American Semi-longbow.  I wonder when they switched over to Hill-style longbows.  Anyone else notice that?
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11543 on: November 15, 2012, 08:17:00 PM »
Well, I put the call in to some of my friends who are gun nuts. I am selling my Remington Wingmaster 870 (mint condition), I am funding the new JD Berry Vixen I have on order. I am also selling the Hoyt Trophy  :(  Need to make some hobby money quick. JD said he could have the bow to me in 3 WEEKS!!!!!! So I politely asked him to hold off until the middle of Jan so I can raise funds.  

Now that is fast.  JD has amazing customer service, super nice guy to talk to, and like EVERY bower I have spoken too takes great pride in his product.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11544 on: November 15, 2012, 08:23:00 PM »
Brian,

Glad you pulled the pin on the Vixen, mine sure shoots smooth!  Just make sure to keep a little play money for April ... you just may want another bow ...  :D  

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11545 on: November 15, 2012, 08:42:00 PM »
Shhhh.. Bob, we will tell them later, like after we call.

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11546 on: November 16, 2012, 12:33:00 PM »
On Nov. 13th I took this real nice doe with my 58#, 70" Howard Hill Redman and Grizzly single bevel heads. I was in a treestand and she came in 17 yds broadside. As the 740 gr ash arrow impacted she wheeld and the arrow came out her front chest between the legs. The blood loss was unbelievable as she tipped over after 60 yds.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11547 on: November 16, 2012, 12:42:00 PM »
Smoke,
The combo of Asbell wool and HH bows is deadly. Good job on the doe.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11548 on: November 16, 2012, 01:40:00 PM »
Great hunt, Bruce !!!

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11549 on: November 16, 2012, 02:35:00 PM »
So I've been following Nate's lessons and I have a couple questions. Feel free to chime in and let me know what you all think.

First some background... I've probably shot 750 or more shots at 10 yards shooting level just for form over the last couple weeks. Without thinking about anything but form I can consistently put arrows within a couple inches of eachother, usually feathers touching in the middle of the target. I have not really spent time aiming at anything yet. I've shot outside a little somewhere around 30-33 yrds to check arrow flight and it's pretty good, but I can't even hit the bag consistently at that distance.

1) At what point do I focus on aiming and trying to hit spots?
2) At what distances do I focus on spots? Do I start at 10 yrds and back it up?
3) Why is it that when I do shoot for a specific spot, my groups get noticeably bigger then when I shoot for form?

basically... what's the next step? I plan to continue form work, but realistically I want to hunt at some point with this set up as well. When and how do I make that transition?
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11550 on: November 16, 2012, 03:58:00 PM »

Some shooting at around 35 yds. I rushed the shots a bit because I was focusing on trying to hit the bag... wasn't too successful. Not my best, but at least it's a picture of what I'm doing.
I Corinthians 9 24-25

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11551 on: November 16, 2012, 04:15:00 PM »
Khard,
Do you shoot split vision or instinctive /point and shoot?
PERSONALLY, I suggest putting a piece of blue tape ( whatever makes a visible spot) low on your target. Then draw anchor, and place the tip of your arrow on that spot, and shoot. Do that with two arrows at 10,15, 20,25,30,35 etc yards.  And measure or take note of impact point above your blue point. This will give you an idea where you need to be holding you secondary point. Your shooting WILL improve and improve quickly.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11552 on: November 16, 2012, 04:17:00 PM »
Jimmy explains what I do perfectly here.

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11553 on: November 16, 2012, 04:32:00 PM »
Krunner, looking pretty relaxed there. Hanging on just a bit too long, causing you to just collapse your shot off, I do it all the time. When you swing that bow up, you line it up with the "needed" elevation, so by the time you reach full draw, and, your anchor points, you are already to release, like a slip shot. No holding and realigning at anchor, just let the string slip of your fingers as you get to full draw, for you have already "lined'er up" when you first swung up the bow!
  I notice that you are, about, oh, the length of a field point, too long on your arrows. Or at least that is how far short you are actually drawing the bow when you shoot it. Take'm down an inch or so, so the points ride right up flush on the riser with none hanging off the front of the bow at full draw.  Good stuff.

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11554 on: November 16, 2012, 04:47:00 PM »
Thanks guys... Brian I shoot a split vision or instinctive type style... ish. I don't have any interest in gaping.

Swamp... I have the arrows cut so I can feel the FP edge on the top of my finger as I pull back as a third anchor. That way I don't have to swap shafts when I shoot Broad Heads as well. I can't go any shorter if I expect to shoot broadheads. I can definitely see what you are saying about the collapse though. I'll work on that.

Sometimes I get a distinct wack sound when I shoot from the arrow hitting somewhere on the shelf. Not a huge impact difference, usually just a bit right. But either way I don't like it. I wonder if that has to do with the collapse or more like some horrible release.
I Corinthians 9 24-25

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11555 on: November 16, 2012, 04:47:00 PM »
Kyle, are your groups at that range good with regards to left / right misses? If so your form is probably consistent and you only need to get the ranges dialled in to tighten things up vertically. If that's the case Brian makes an excellent suggestion for doing so using split vision.

Also, if you're hitting good at 10 yards get out and enjoy some hunting - just limit yourself to that range on deer. Rabbits, squirrels and grouse can provide chances to improve your shooting at longer ranges under hunting conditions... You may find that it all comes together for you when that cotton tail steps onto the trail at 30 yards and you just thnk about hitting him, not the mechanics of your shot.
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11556 on: November 16, 2012, 04:57:00 PM »
Groups are ok L-R. Certainly not what I would want at all. Nothing close to what I get at 10 yrds in my basement shooting level.
I Corinthians 9 24-25

Offline Looper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11557 on: November 16, 2012, 06:19:00 PM »
Don't just shoot at the bag, shoot at a spot on the bag. Your groups at 30 yards should be roughly 3x the size of your 10 yard groups.  

I'd suggest shooting a group using one arrow. Shoot it, go get it, shoot again. And mix up the distances. That'll really show you how you are progressing.

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11558 on: November 16, 2012, 07:26:00 PM »
Is that bow 66" or 68" ? Your string angle at full draw appears to be +90deg. Bow appears to be tillered a bit short of your full draw. Your bow arm seems to be pushing a tad excessively toward the target, a touch forceful, not dynamic or fluid. Keeping a fluid bow arm allows for you to adjust elevation and windage as the need arises, a forceful bow arm is for shooting targets.
  A nice walk in the woods, shooting stumps, at unknown distances, one at a time, shoot, go get arrow, find another target, repeat.
  I would not necessarily, "relax," the bow arm, just not try to force/push it forward or "lock it in the bent position." Fluidity, grace, and smooth movements.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11559 on: November 16, 2012, 07:32:00 PM »
"Take'm down an inch or so, so the points ride right up flush on the riser with none hanging off the front of the bow at full draw"

What purpose would that serve other than making them too short for broadheads??

Eric

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©