3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 137355 times)

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #11600 on: November 17, 2012, 07:18:00 PM »
Goshawkin&Rossco

Perfect explanation
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11601 on: November 17, 2012, 07:23:00 PM »
I too see a lot of similarities in my firearm training and my hill style "fluid" form. Nice posts guys!

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11602 on: November 17, 2012, 07:30:00 PM »
Not to break up the discussion but on FleaBay right now there is  a Sauk Trail Kankakee river Straight limbed LB. its only at 200 right now.  These bows are amazing and if I did not have one on order right now I'd be bidding. Just thought Id throw it out here for ya'll

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11603 on: November 17, 2012, 08:12:00 PM »
Kyle - I think your form looks good.  I wish mine were that good and consistent.  And I don't think you are drawing past a 90 degree string angle.  I took a screen capture of your video and drew right triangles where the string meets the nocks at full draw.  The bottom limb appears to be close to 90, but the top is less than 90.  The percieved difference between the two may be due to the camera angle and your bow cant.

One thing I did notice in the video is that it looks like you get a lot of oscillation of the string after the shot as the bow returns to brace height.  I don't notice this in videos of others shooting hill style bows.  What do others think?   :dunno:
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11604 on: November 17, 2012, 08:15:00 PM »
I think his form looks great. I did not notice the string thing, I am going to watch it again.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11605 on: November 17, 2012, 08:21:00 PM »
I re-watched the video, and I see what you are talking about now. Maybe its just how the camera caught it and others bows are doing that to?  but we don't see it.  

I will give you some props if you can get consistent kill zone groups at 30-35 yards shooting that quick.  Personally, i could not draw up to anchor and release without setting my sight picture.  Even on moving targets I'm on anchor for a second. I hope you get it figured out Khard.

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11606 on: November 17, 2012, 08:21:00 PM »
I think the oscillation is just to how it's playing back. I have other videos that I don't see that on. I'll post one taken the same day just prior to shooting outside. For some reason it is easy to see on the outside video. Almost as if done on slo-mo.

Every slow mo I've seen has the same oscillation.... If I remember right.
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11607 on: November 17, 2012, 08:25:00 PM »
I noticed the string thing too just figured it was how the camera caught it.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11608 on: November 17, 2012, 08:41:00 PM »
That bow is a little whip-ended like alot of 80's Schulz bows...which make that angle the way it is

Nice form Kyle...watch the elbow and shoot with an uncluttered mind.  Your mind and body will know what to do.

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11609 on: November 17, 2012, 08:45:00 PM »
Well there you have it...
A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight;nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety;is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free,unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11610 on: November 17, 2012, 08:49:00 PM »

Another look taken on the same day just inside. No wierdness with the string.
I Corinthians 9 24-25

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11611 on: November 17, 2012, 08:50:00 PM »
Thanks again Nate for all your help! Shot a bit tonight inside and focused on keeping the elbow down. It did tighten things up left to right and the bow was quieter. I'll be out shooting tomorrow for sure like we discussed!
I Corinthians 9 24-25

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11612 on: November 17, 2012, 09:32:00 PM »
Nice, that bottom limb is not kicking out much at all on most of those shots. Nice and steady. Let that bow hand just come up as high as it needs to. Cool Cool.

Offline Jon Powell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11613 on: November 17, 2012, 10:15:00 PM »
Could someone post pictures showing what a low shoulder looks like opposed to a regular or high shoulder? I read somewhere that Bob Wesley was taught by Howard to keep his bow shoulder low and back in the socket. I'm trying to visualize what this means.
Thanks for any help.
"While beauty blooms on every side, mercy is unknown and death never sleeps in the wilds."  Howard Hill

"The first thing is to overcome fear. When that is accomplished everything takes care of itself." Jeff Cooper

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11614 on: November 18, 2012, 07:42:00 AM »
Jon, I talked to Nate about that yesterday and the way he described that was really helpful. He said to focus on keeping my bow elbow pointed down as if I were holding a heavy screw gun or something similar. You have to hold with your deltoid muscle.

In some of my shots I do a better job of that. The outdoor ones were the poorest example. I will try to video some more today or tomorrow since I think I can reproduce it a bit better now.

Swamp, I think you are right about the kick out and a lot of that has to do with me holding with my tricep and not my deltoid. I'll work on that a lot in the next few weeks. My bow is a lot quieter and the occasional wacking sound from the arrow hitting the shelf is gone when I keep that elbow pointed down.
I Corinthians 9 24-25

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11615 on: November 18, 2012, 08:25:00 AM »
Keep at it Kyle.  We are all in this learning process together.  Again, props to you for offering to be the "guinea pig".  Your form will benefit from it in the long run.  

Now onto something else.  I've always shot three under, but messed around with split off and on.  So it's been three under as a kid with a light recurve, as an adult with compounds (switching to a release before I came to the longbow) and now with the Semi-long.  

Recently I have been playing with split again mainly because I have noticed a DRASTIC reduction in string noise at the release.  Now my 3-U release is not "loud" by any means, but my split release is dead silent.  All I hear is the arrow hitting the bale.  

First question:  Why is split so much quieter than 3-U?  I know this is not unique to my shooting.  I searched and found this question asked before, but no clear answer for it that I could find.

Now onto my bigger problem.  So I'm a right-handed archer, but left eye dominant, like our mentor Howard.  And no don't try to get me to switch to lefty.  I have bad shoulders and I don't think my right could be a solid bowhand.  Anyway, when I shoot 3-U I anchor with my middle finger in the corner of the mouth and press the area between the second knuckle of my index finger to the first knuckle of my thumb into my cheek bone.  Nice tight fit and rock solid.  This allow for a nice gradual angle from my eye down the arrow shaft to the point.  Basically where I point the arrow goes.  When if I use the same anchor with split my sight picture is completely different since moving the index finger above the arrow effectively drops the nock end forcing me to lower my bow hand towards the target.  I'm now faced with a more severe angle from eye to arrow point.  I have to aim much lower for the arrow to hit the mark.  I tried to use the ring finger in the mouth corner, which raises the sight line back up to original position, but my middle finger gets in the way and my cheek anchor is no longer in the same place.  It creates a very high cheek anchor and I hate it.  It's very uncomfortable and not repeatable consistently.  

3-U always worked for me like pointing a shotgun.  Point the bow at the target and shoot.  Split throws me all outta whack.  It's aim under the target and pray the arrow finds the bale.

I would like to shoot split, so any suggestions are welcome.  Maybe I'll try 2-under.  That might help out.  I'll let you know how it goes.  But for now hit me with some advice and options.  Sorry Kyle, my turn to be "guinea pig".  :D
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11616 on: November 18, 2012, 08:31:00 AM »
I'm jealous Kyle!

Out of curiosity what is your bow weight?
You handle it well.

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11617 on: November 18, 2012, 08:37:00 AM »
Originally posted by Pat B.:
I'm jealous Kyle!

Out of curiosity what is your bow weight?
You handle it well.
That is no lie it looks like he is shooting 20lbs.  Smooth to anchor and no bow movement at all.  Looks great to me.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11618 on: November 18, 2012, 08:39:00 AM »
Mike, it looks like you only have a couple options that make any sense to me. 1) shoot 3u. 2) learn the new sight picture. I would not change your anchor as I would think that would mess things up drastically.

I'm RH and R eye dominant. I shoot LH because of shoulder issues. I've been shooting LH since march (which certainly explains why I have as much work to do as I do :-)). I am still working on the sight picture thing. It's pretty good as long as I let the sub concious mind take care of things. It's not perfect and I expect to get it better.

Pat... the bow is 50lbs @ 28 inches and I draw right at 28.5 which is where I have my arrows cut to (BOP). I worked up from 25lbs in march to over 60 last month (barely shootable), but 50lbs seems to be my magic #.
I Corinthians 9 24-25

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11619 on: November 18, 2012, 08:40:00 AM »
Krunner,
       Smooth like diarrhea, just let it flow.  Who says white people don't have no rhythm?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©