3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 137293 times)

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #11620 on: November 18, 2012, 08:41:00 AM »
Thanks for the kind words guys. If only I could shoot half as accurately as you guys do!
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline MT Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11621 on: November 18, 2012, 08:42:00 AM »
Mikebiz,try this:  Tip your head and bow to the right (CANT) try various angles of tipping. I am the same as you right handed, left eye Dom.

By experimenting with different clock positions with your anchor solid and head tipping with the upper tip of the bow you are changing how much your left eye lines up over the arrow shaft. The most lined up vertically you could get would be  bow flat at 90 degrees, then your left eye would be in the vertical plane( obviously you won't lay your bow flat) but just for demonstration purposes.  I find that with my strong dominant eye about 40 degrees from vertical , or  mid way between 2 and 3 on the clock position helps really remove my left shots comming from my split vision being dominated by my left eye.

Long explanation, but just try keeping your form good, anchor solid and tipping the top of the bow, along with your head and some upper body to maintain alignment ( I lean over at the waist just a bit, like leaning into it, ) and see what you get ,

Just trying to help.  It has really helped my on my longer 35-45 yard shots and now I just look at be target ensure I'm canted properly and leaning a bit into it and let er go.  Groups are nice and tight.  When I find myself not doing this and shoot more straight up and down with the bow and head tip at 1 o'clock, I will get shots migrating left.
Craig Ekins;
70" -60LB "Robin Hood",string follow  #47 of 50. LE
68" -70Lb Redman, string follow all YEW. "Yewlogy"
68" -75Lb@28. 3 lam Boo. String Follow- "LegendStick"

Ron Maulding : 68" Big Horn , Boo and Osage. 78#@27.

David Miller: Old Tom

Offline Jon Powell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11622 on: November 18, 2012, 08:57:00 AM »
Kyle,
Thank you and Nate for that explanation of the low shoulder. The screw gun suggestion helps my poor visual mind grasp the idea.
"While beauty blooms on every side, mercy is unknown and death never sleeps in the wilds."  Howard Hill

"The first thing is to overcome fear. When that is accomplished everything takes care of itself." Jeff Cooper

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11623 on: November 18, 2012, 09:05:00 AM »
Thanks guys.  I appreciate all the help as always.  MT Longbow, I already cant my bow, always have.  However I haven't played around with various positions of cant.  I usually have it around the 1 o'clock position from vertical. I'll mess with leaning it over even more.  I know Howard preached that canting the bow reduces the angle of sight along the arrow.  John Schulz told this to Gene Wensel when he missed a bear once.  Wensel shot with the bow vertical.  Schulz told him something to the effect of next time you see that bear, lay that bow over on its side and you'll get your bear.  Apparently he tried it and scored.

Hey Kyle, I say stick with that 50 pounder.  It will kill pretty much all NA game.  Plenty for anything deer sized and smaller.  You're draw is very smooth and effortless.  I wouldn't go up to sixty unless you want to kill a moose or something.  The only thing that going up to 60 will kill you is your form.  In my shooting I have found that being overbowed by as little as 5# really destroys my form.  And I shoot light bows from 35-50#.  If I have another bow built someday it will be at 45# @ 25".  Yeah I'm arm length challenged.    

Kyle what kind of bow is that?  I'm sure you've mentioned it before, but there's way too many posts to go through at this point.  

And how do you know any of us shoot more accurately than you do?  We all just talk about how accurate we are.  No pics or vids to prove it   :jumper:
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline MT Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11624 on: November 18, 2012, 09:13:00 AM »
You bet Mikebiz, I think we all do cant the bow , but for me the difference between 1 oclock and 3 is substantial on the target.

For me I need to ensure I'm moving my head with the bow asI lay it over,  That is a big deal and sometimes can get away from me
Craig Ekins;

Offline MT Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11625 on: November 18, 2012, 09:16:00 AM »
Originally posted by MT Longbow:
You bet Mikebiz, I think we all do cant the bow , but for me the difference between 1 oclock and 3 is substantial on the target.

For me I need to ensure I'm moving my head with the bow as I lay it over,  That is a big deal and sometimes can get away from me
Sorry for the double!
Craig Ekins;

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11626 on: November 18, 2012, 09:25:00 AM »
I agree MT L.  When I do lay my bow over I try to lay the head in the same position.  I have found that when I do cant more, moving the head also drops the drawing shoulder into a more parallel position with the ground, thus creating a straight line from arrow tip through bow to drawing elbow.  Anyone who has an issue with having the drawing elbow rising above the parallel should try canting and leaning the head.  I should rotate the drawing shoulder down into better position.

As much as I love seeing pics of everyone's beautiful Semi-longs I much prefer all this form talk.  You guys are a wealth of knowledge for those of us still working things out.
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11627 on: November 18, 2012, 11:00:00 AM »
Khard,
You have inspired me to post a video of my shooting.  Plus, I have a new Mac and need to learn how to use the photo and movie software so here is my perfect chance.

I do not shoot "Hill Style", I just shoot how I shoot and this is what works for me.  But, I like watching others form videos so I thought I make one.

one is a right side view  , and one is  a left side view.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11628 on: November 18, 2012, 11:07:00 AM »
oh and shots were only at 18-20yds

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11629 on: November 18, 2012, 12:00:00 PM »
Nice post Charlie

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11630 on: November 18, 2012, 12:24:00 PM »
I can't wait to watch the videos guys! I'll get to them.

The bow is a Schulz Trophy Hunter that Nate Steen just did some work on for me... so it's customized by Steen, built by Schulz.

I'm assuming you are more accurate based off of my own shooting haha!
I Corinthians 9 24-25

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11631 on: November 18, 2012, 12:28:00 PM »
Looking for y'all's opinions on what qualities you would like to see for a more target oriented Hill bow.  Right now I have a 50# & 60# HHA 68" bows.  I would like to have HHA build me another bow in the 40# range.  I pretty much do not shoot my 60# Wesley Special anymore and would like to settle in on a 40# bow for the off season and my 50# bow for hunting season.  I was thinking about trying a 70" bow as I hear they are more stable.  My draw is 26.75-27".  HHA model wise I was thinking Tembo if I decided to use colored glass but I like pretty wood veneers so maybe clear glass w/ two wood veneers over two cores of boo.  If you think one HHA model is a little better suited for target work over another say so.  Again this bow primary focus will be off season target work and at least one 3d shoot (want to shoot the TX State LB Championship this year in may).

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11632 on: November 18, 2012, 12:28:00 PM »
By the way Brian... Nice purchase with the Mac... I'm an addict myself!
I Corinthians 9 24-25

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11633 on: November 18, 2012, 12:42:00 PM »
I am becoming a Mac addic myself. So simple, yet advanced at the same time

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11634 on: November 18, 2012, 05:13:00 PM »
Any of you guys use a Howard Hill Archery Deluxe Armguard?  It's the one with the metal speed hooks.  I was wondering if it's easy/quick to cinch up and how you actually tie it off to keep it from loosening.  

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11635 on: November 18, 2012, 07:32:00 PM »
I used one years ago and didn't care for it much. Kinda picky about getting it laced "just right" and a little slow as well.

I like something simpler with elastic.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11636 on: November 18, 2012, 08:10:00 PM »
Well, the Wesely is sold, and my order is confirmed with James at JD Berry for a Vixen.  Oh the joys of having so many great bowers!!!

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11637 on: November 18, 2012, 09:57:00 PM »
Brian, keep us posted on the bow  ... and of course, send pics when you get it.  I am sorry I have not called you back.  I have been cutting up a lot of deer.  may be I can give you a ring tomorrow.

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline Ray_G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11638 on: November 19, 2012, 12:46:00 AM »
Originally posted by mikebiz:
Any of you guys use a Howard Hill Archery Deluxe Armguard?  It's the one with the metal speed hooks.  I was wondering if it's easy/quick to cinch up and how you actually tie it off to keep it from loosening.
Like Charlie posted, it takes practice to get it snugged right to your liking.  The long end of the lacing should be toward your elbow joint.  Once you do get it laced, tuck the long end of the lacing under the crossed over laces.  Start a loop about half of the length of the tag end and work it under, leaving the knot at the last lace of the cross over.  Just pull the knot when you are ready to take the guard off.  

I have one similar to yours and one from Mike's Archery Leather with elastic laces - I use both of them.  The elastic laced one is the quickest to put on.
Sunset Hill 64" 54# @ 26"  "Destiny"

B.H.A.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11639 on: November 19, 2012, 06:41:00 AM »
I will for sure.  And no problems about the, congrats on the chore of cleaning the deer:)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©