3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 137223 times)

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #11660 on: November 20, 2012, 02:21:00 PM »
New question guys.  I want to switch from carbon to wood.  Give me a hand.  I have a Miller Old Tom that I'm going to use as an example.  This bow is 40@28, but scales 35# at my 25" draw length.  I want to have one inch of clearance on the arrow.  So I guess I need a 27" shaft that, once tapered, will be 26" BOP.  What spine shaft do I need?  I figure 40-45 will work.  That seems to be the lowest wood spine range anyway.  I'd like to shoot around a 160 grain field point or broadhead.  And I would consider Surewood Douglas Firs or Hildebrand Sitka Spruce.  If you think one or the other would be better out of lighter weight bows tell me.  I have several bows in the 35-45 range and that's all I can handle with bum shoulders.  

If anything I've said doesn't make sense or is just plain wrong let me know.  Here to learn from the seasoned vets out there.  Thanks.
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline emt137

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11661 on: November 20, 2012, 02:56:00 PM »
Mike- I shoot a 43# Cheetah at my 28" pull.  It likes a 40-45 spined arrow with 125gr point.  They are 29.5" BOP just because that's what I prefer. So I would think a 40-45 with that heavy of a point might be in the right ballpark.  Might have to fiddle a little this way or that way, but I think you'd be close.

That being said I'm sure someone will come along with all the proper +5# for this and -5# for that.  

Hope that helped you out.
"For man only stays human by preserving large patches of simplicity in his life, while the tendency of many modern inventions...is to weaken his consciousness, dull his curiosity, and, in general, drive him nearer to the animals." -George Orwell

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11662 on: November 20, 2012, 05:51:00 PM »
call your shaft supplier and explain what you need just like above and they may be able to send some test shafts. They all usually have shafts heavier and lighter in spine than whats on their website but dont list as there is not much of a demand.......
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11663 on: November 20, 2012, 06:43:00 PM »
Check with Green, a sponsor here on TG, for his kids arrows. He has some spined in the 30 to 40lb range that just might be perfect for your bow.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11664 on: November 20, 2012, 07:39:00 PM »
Anyone local you can get a shaft of the # you are looking for to monkey with?  I find that if you estimate spine using a formula, you will be close, but sometimes it's hard to get a shaft to be the exact length you want with the head wt you want.  If you are not opposed to a longer shaft, start a little conservatively on one spine grouping higher, and cut in increments as you tune to a head wt.  Or get a baseline and make educated guesses.  Basically experience helps and you will have a general understanding of what you need.  Buy a 1/2 dz of what you think will work, you can experiment and figure out what you really need.

Offline bicster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11665 on: November 21, 2012, 05:27:00 AM »
I find with my HH bows that arrows with the spine range of my draw weight work great using 125 grain heads. My bow is 50# at my draw length and my arrows are 45-50 spine group. I always wind up cutting them to 28-29" BOP and using a 125 grain point. One other thing is I use tapered shafts. I may be wrong but the way of testing spine using the 26" and 2 pound weight method was developed using a 28" BOP arrow with a standard 125 grain point. As someone else mentioned, you need to do some experimenting to find the formula that works for you. My hardest decision is deciding what shafts to buy because I fall on the edge of two different spine groups.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11666 on: November 21, 2012, 12:20:00 PM »
I really like the tapered shafts too, they just seem to come off the bow so smoothly.

I tell you one thing I've really been frustrated with lately, getting shafts that have grain runout.  When I buy tapered shafts from certain suppliers, I know that wont be an issue.  I have decided on one or two suppliers, and any others I have to purchase in person.  They bend too easy, break easier, and I'm wasting time and feathers and resources making shafts not good enough for hunting, and barely for punching paper.  I guess the bad shafts need a home, but not at mine.

Funny, the butcher shop found my griz broadhead and 6" of wood arrow in the shoulder of my deer.  They thought it was really cool and wouldn't give it back. They said "oh, you were the one with THAT broadhead".   I guess it's still quite uncommon for wood shafts to come through their shop...

Offline Ralphie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11667 on: November 21, 2012, 06:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by mikebiz:
Any of you guys use a Howard Hill Archery Deluxe Armguard?  It's the one with the metal speed hooks.  I was wondering if it's easy/quick to cinch up and how you actually tie it off to keep it from loosening.  

I have and used for awhile, the deluxe HHA guard. It is only a piece of leather with holes,hooks, and a lace. After the string hit my arm once, leaving a welt, I had my shoemaker attach a length of leather to it to make it longer up the arm.
It is slow to take off and put on.
 I now use a Steve Catts/Leathersmith guard. It is made of a heavier and finer grade leather, is quicker to put on and take off, and covers more of the arm.

I use the HHA guard in the summer when I am putting it against a bare arm.
On mine I asked Steve to put vent holes.
Could not be happier !
Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11668 on: November 21, 2012, 10:03:00 PM »
I make my own arm guards and just use the holes on the ends, and speed lacing on both sides for the rest of the eyelets.  Quick and easy on, off, and adjust.

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11669 on: November 22, 2012, 07:06:00 AM »
So I think I'm going to try some Hildebrand tapered Sitka shafts in 11/32 (tapered to 5/16) or parallel 11/32 as my first foray into wood arrows.  Since I shoot lighter longbows I don't think I want the mass of Doug fir, so Sitka should be perfect.  Anyone shooting these from their Hills?  Anyone prefer tapered to parallel?  Let me hear the dirt on them.  Only heard good things so far and that Hildebrand is an A++ company.
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline JohnI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11670 on: November 22, 2012, 07:58:00 AM »
If you can get the weight you need Sitka is hard to beat and Hildebrand is the place to get them. Tapered should and probably do fly the best but personally parallels seem to fly just as good for me.

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11671 on: November 22, 2012, 08:23:00 AM »
So I was fortunate enough to purchase an original John Lee bow from a TG member the other day.  Thanks Ralphie!!  It arrived on Tuesday night, but I finally got to shoot it this morning.  Working on form at 10 yards.  I'd say it's a pretty sweet.  Maybe my form is improving as well   :D  

Offline gio tundo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11672 on: November 22, 2012, 09:36:00 AM »
Just bought a northern mist shelton from a member went out and shot it yesterday. Wow zero hand shock and a great shooter I can't wait to get in the woods with it.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11673 on: November 22, 2012, 09:53:00 AM »
Good job in the robin hood!!!
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Ralphie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11674 on: November 22, 2012, 10:06:00 AM »
Mike,

The Robin Hood is with the Lee ?

I want it back !!

regarding arrows;
         I like Port Orford Cedar .... tapered
you will hear many different opinions about arrows. none more valid than the rest.
Good Luck with the Lee !

Offline JCJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11675 on: November 22, 2012, 12:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ralphie:
Mike,

The Robin Hood is with the Lee ?

I want it back !!

regarding arrows;
         I like Port Orford Cedar .... tapered
you will hear many different opinions about arrows. none more valid than the rest.
Good Luck with the Lee !
Ralphie:

I want the Miller Old Tom back!

Hah!

Jay

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11676 on: November 22, 2012, 01:49:00 PM »
I wish I had my Miller "old Tom" back as well.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11677 on: November 22, 2012, 05:20:00 PM »
I checked into Hildebrandt arrows, they are intriguing!  I think I'll get some for my next couple dz.  Sitka spruce  sounds like a great arrow material.

Also, I noticed they offer arrows down in the very low spine range and they are not kids arrows, but still very top quality.  I saw a few posts back folks were looking for low spine arrow shafts.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11678 on: November 22, 2012, 05:27:00 PM »
Matt, Hildedbrand's shafts are great(spruce & fir), you wont be disappointed.

Eric

Offline Ralphie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11679 on: November 22, 2012, 08:10:00 PM »
There's an Old Tom, very beautiful,  on classifieds now

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©