3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 137210 times)

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #11680 on: November 22, 2012, 08:27:00 PM »
Don't Ralphie, don't! I can't resist, two Miller's up there so far this week and my place on Dave's list seems so far away. Lol
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline Ralphie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11681 on: November 22, 2012, 08:52:00 PM »
Someone just got it. It was a nice one! .
Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire.

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11682 on: November 22, 2012, 09:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ralphie:
Mike,

The Robin Hood is with the Lee ?

I want it back !!

Oh no you don't, Ralph.  When I emailed you this morning saying the Lee shot OK I thought you would get the joke.  Sorry you didn't realize the Robin Hood was with the Lee.  It sure was though.  And there's no way you're getting it back now.  Not after a Hood and my FIRST longbow harvest.  Managed to take this nice Eastern Cottontail with the Lee midday on Thanksgiving.  It's the only one we saw.  I'm thrilled with the bow and you ain't getting it back.  Sorry.    :D  

"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11683 on: November 22, 2012, 09:48:00 PM »
That is a *great* pic M.B.!

Good shot on the harvest!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11684 on: November 22, 2012, 09:58:00 PM »
Good shooting Mike!
HHA Half Breed 52@28

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11685 on: November 22, 2012, 10:09:00 PM »
Interesting that on this Thanksgiving a similiar Hill bow story played out on the other side of the country. Took a little walk with my Kramer built Falcon here in AZ.

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight;nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety;is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free,unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Offline JCJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11686 on: November 22, 2012, 11:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ralphie:
Someone just got it. It was a nice one! .
It was too short.

Offline Ralphie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11687 on: November 22, 2012, 11:18:00 PM »
The bow has a perfect home !

I told you you would love it.

Good luck with it !

( ps.  I was kidding when I said I wanted it back ..)
Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire.

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11688 on: November 23, 2012, 05:04:00 PM »
Nice shootin' Mike!  pan fried cottontail,mmmmGood.  :D

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11689 on: November 24, 2012, 08:28:00 AM »
Nice shot Canyon.  Is that an Eastern Cottontail?  I know you have them in AZ.  Just curious.

Thanks for the congrats on my first rabbit.  It was really special for me.  My dad, grandpop and I used to gun hunt for rabbits with our beagles every Thanksgiving morning.  Well grandpop moved to a retirement place in PA about 12 years ago.  He's 95 and still kicking, but doesn't hunt anymore.  All our dogs are gone and most of the places we used to hunt are developed or traffic makes running dogs dangerous (for the dogs).  

Well now that I'm into the Hill thing I asked my dad and girlfriend if they wanted to hit a local farm to see if I could get one with the bow.  We only jumped one rabbit and that's the one I got.  It was hanging in a picked over lima bean field.  Dad kicked it up and it ran into an adjacent pepper field.  We knew it stopped, but couldn't see it anymore so I started the stalk.  It was really exciting.  When I spotted the rabbit it was standing right at the open end of a 4" irrigation pipe.  They love crawling into those things for cover and he was ready facing the hole.  I spotted him at about 10 yards, knew I couldn't go any further, drew back and let the arrow loose.  The 200 grain Ace hex found the mark and put it right down.  

We were all psyched.  My girlfriend hadn't been hunting before, so it was a great experience for her.  And she got to take my picture.  Gonna eat the little guy this Sunday.
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11690 on: November 24, 2012, 12:51:00 PM »
Mike, I do not believe we have Easterns this far north in AZ. I believe this is a Desert Cottontail(Sylvilagus audubonii). They do not seem to get as large as the easterns I have shot.

The similarity continues in our hunts, this was the only rabbit I saw and I  used an ACE 200 grainer. Keep after them rabbits they make excellent Sunday dinners.
A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight;nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety;is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free,unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11691 on: November 25, 2012, 05:13:00 AM »
The similarity of our hunt is very strange Jim.  I'm starting to think I need to visit and do some higher elevation rabbit stalking than I can do here in the flatlands of NJ.  Love Arizona.  It's my favorite state to visit, though I've spent most of my time down in the area south of Tuscon.  Gorgeous territory there.  

You keep those bunnies runnin' scared too.

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11692 on: November 25, 2012, 12:06:00 PM »
Mike, Come on out. Bunnies, over the counter Deer or Javelina. I am always up for hunting with other Tradgangers.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11693 on: November 25, 2012, 12:59:00 PM »
Posted this picture on another thread earlier, but thought that the Hill thread needed it, as well. I killed this deer Nov 14 with my 55# Wesley Special; 2nd deer to fall to the bow this season. Love my Hill style bows!

If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11694 on: November 25, 2012, 01:46:00 PM »
Awesome (Hill style) deer!
HHA Half Breed 52@28

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11695 on: November 25, 2012, 02:45:00 PM »
Beautiful buck, centaur.  Love those sticker points.

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11696 on: November 25, 2012, 03:44:00 PM »
Beautiful Buck and Bow!! Does that Wesley have carmelized bamboo? It looks darker than normal.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11697 on: November 25, 2012, 03:52:00 PM »
Canyon,
Good eye! Yep, it's caramelized.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11698 on: November 25, 2012, 09:21:00 PM »