3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 137165 times)

Offline Crossed Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #11700 on: November 26, 2012, 11:57:00 AM »
Very nice bunnies and buck.

Anyone know what process is used to "caramelize" the bamboo?  I really like bamboo and clear glass, but it can be a bit bright in the field.

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11701 on: November 26, 2012, 01:57:00 PM »
Nice looking buck Centaur, great pic!

Offline xroadshunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11702 on: November 26, 2012, 05:08:00 PM »
Just picked up an Old Tom and love the bow just want to swap out the handle material. Where can I get a moose hide wrap for the bow?

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11703 on: November 26, 2012, 07:19:00 PM »
Whew, you all have been busy these past few weeks. Took me a while to catch up here. The shooting tips are going to make for some very happy shooters. Once it clicks, it clicks! Just groove it in!

I've been out chasing cow moose and mule deer. Made three trips for moose, 11 days of hunting in total, and despite hiking to the end of the earth (I am pretty sure it was just over the next ridge) I never saw a single moose. Amazing!

The deer hunting has been a lot more fun. Have not arrowed one yet, but have seen some every day, and several were rather large. One buck was bigger than anything I have seen in at least three years.

Seeing big bucks like that keeps a guy going when the steep terrain tries to wear you down. The ridge I took this photo from takes three hours to hike up to. Nice view though.

Here is one of the average-sized 4x4 bucks. I wanted to try out my new camera's zoom lens. The buck was about 400 yards away, and the photos turned out a bit grainy.

He was in love. She was not.

The season is still open, and I still have a tag, so there is no conclusion to this story. Well, except for the fact that my Big Five shot the largest Boone and Crocket grouse I have ever seen. Pole axed it.

When it hit the ground, it sounded like a five-pound boulder. A monster of epic proportions. If there are more like this up there, I may need a heavier bow!

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11704 on: November 26, 2012, 07:26:00 PM »
Giddyyyyuuup Rik ...

been wondering what you have been up to
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline kestimator

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11705 on: November 26, 2012, 09:30:00 PM »
Congrats Rik on your B&C Bird!  :)  
Perhaps you can put a stalk on that little muley buck  :)   Thanks for sharing your fun with us!!
Have a nice day!
Kevin

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11706 on: November 26, 2012, 09:53:00 PM »
Rik, that ain't nice. I still have 3 weeks before I can go chasing ruttin mulies with my Hill.
A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight;nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety;is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free,unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11707 on: November 26, 2012, 10:16:00 PM »
GREAT PICs Rik!

Sorry to learn that the moose were non-existent in your area - that can be a frustratin' thing to deal with....

Man o' man are those some brown-lookin' Idaho hillsides!

Hopefully, you will intercept one of those luva boys before the season runs out!

Hang tough and keep the wind in your face!

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11708 on: November 27, 2012, 01:33:00 AM »
What a grouse, go get em Rik and thanks for sharing.

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11709 on: November 27, 2012, 04:48:00 AM »
hey xroadshunter.  I know Craig at Howard Hill Archery offers moose hide wraps.  He might be able to help you out.  If not just search the web for moose leather.  I'm sure some leather suppliers have some scrap laying around.  

Did you guys see that 32# Miller Split Bamboo go off on the auction for $222?   :eek:   Granted it was super light (even for me   :) ), but I was considering it just to try one out.  I was a bit concerned that it hadn't been stored properly and might have some limb warp.  If that baby is straight someone got a killer deal for a target bow.   I should have bought it for my girlfriend then stolen it right back.
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline Ralphie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11710 on: November 27, 2012, 09:21:00 AM »
That light Miller would have been a great find.
I would have grabbed it in a heartbeat, if I had seen it.
Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire.

Offline tomwatson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11711 on: November 27, 2012, 10:37:00 AM »
I'm bummed. I was shooting in the basement with my new to me Cheatah (passed down to me by an old friend)and the rest of the family on Thansgiving and I was shooting a little to close to the furnace and my bottom limb slapped into it. This left a nice little chip in the fiber glass. I lightly sanded it and put a layer of Polyurethane on it. This still has me down in the dumps. This bows has been on several deer hunts and Ontario Bear hunts without a mark. Only to get marked up by me not paying attention.

:(
“To chase game with the ghosts of other hunters from other times-that's all he really asks." - The Restless Spirit.

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11712 on: November 27, 2012, 10:37:00 AM »
Sorry Ralph.  I should have contacted you about that.  Didn't think you would be interested in something that light.
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline xroadshunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11713 on: November 27, 2012, 11:37:00 AM »
Mike, thanks for the info.

Offline kestimator

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11714 on: November 27, 2012, 12:28:00 PM »
Back in the HH game again with a Dave Johnson American Semi Longbow 66", 45#@28"...Not the greatest 20 yard group...but I did use four different arrow types, weights, spines, LOL!!  :)  The bow is a shooter!  The shooter is a ....he needs practice  :)  

Have a nice day!
Kevin

Offline toddster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11715 on: November 27, 2012, 12:47:00 PM »
sweet shooting with the Johnson, getting mine any day.

Offline kestimator

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11716 on: November 27, 2012, 01:56:00 PM »
I predict that you will like her toddster!!  Several TG friends here steered me to this one in the classifieds.  I won't hesitate to buy another one.  Great bows!!!
Have a nice day!
Kevin

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11717 on: November 27, 2012, 02:06:00 PM »
Glad you like the Johnson LB Kestimator!  It's a nicely finished bow and really smooth.

Offline kestimator

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11718 on: November 27, 2012, 02:12:00 PM »
She's just like you said Matt!  :)   Let me know when you get tired of that Shelton.  I need to try one of those out too  :)  ....but not right away...I just picked up another LB today from a friend on another barebow trad site  :)  I'm sick I tell you  :)  LOL!!!
Have a nice day!
Kevin

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11719 on: November 27, 2012, 02:38:00 PM »
You're sick? I just traded for my 4th Hill style bow, which I should get in a couple of days. It's incurable!   :)
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©