3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 137164 times)

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #11720 on: November 27, 2012, 02:42:00 PM »
I've tried to stay way from this HH thread but was pulled like a moth to a flame. I've been reading for a week or two, alternating between this thread, HH Archery and Northern Mist in stock bow pages. I've also been watching the classifieds for something in my prefered weight.
 I called Steve Turay yesterday. A 68", 48@28, Shelton is on it's way to my house and he said it should be here Thursday at the latest! Pretty sure I'm coming down with something and will have to call off sick Friday. Cough, cough, sniff, sniff!!

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11721 on: November 27, 2012, 02:58:00 PM »
If there are serious collectors out there that want to own a peice of HH history I know a gentleman that is selling 2 of Howard's bows....

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11722 on: November 27, 2012, 02:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by two4hooking:
If there are serious collectors out there that want to own a peice of HH history I know a gentleman that is selling 2 of Howard's bows....
Pics PLZ lots and lots of them!!!
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11723 on: November 27, 2012, 04:36:00 PM »
I have pics but I do not want to get in any trouble with the mods as this is a current sale....  I do want to post the pics here for historical information and intellectual study purposes...  I may have to wait until the sales are final unless a mod thinks I am ok???

I have nothing to gain from the sale of these bows.  I just wanted to help spread the word from a friends friend....and they are so interesting as they are pieces of archery history!  

There are also two of Pope's arrows the guy wants to sell!

Greg

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11724 on: November 27, 2012, 04:51:00 PM »
Hey Greg,

I pm'd you about those Howard bows.  Thanks.
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11725 on: November 27, 2012, 05:46:00 PM »
I have insider info some pics will be posted soon of another American Longbow!!!
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11726 on: November 27, 2012, 05:47:00 PM »
I've stayed away from this thread for awhile too. BUT, I got this pic from Dave Johnson today and thought I'd post it up for you to see. This is the laminated riser for my new Johnson red cedar longbow.

Myrtle sandwiched between Imbuia.

Kevin - laminated risers are nice, aren't they?
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11727 on: November 27, 2012, 06:59:00 PM »
Looking good Danny

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11728 on: November 27, 2012, 07:01:00 PM »
how soon brian?
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11729 on: November 27, 2012, 07:05:00 PM »
I just wanted to say I had a post on this crazy almost 900 pg,  11,700 post thread.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline bicster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11730 on: November 27, 2012, 07:10:00 PM »
Brad,
Welcome to the HH Gang. Maybe we will meet at the WVBA banquet along with Dave Mitchell and do some HH shooting.
Bic

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11731 on: November 27, 2012, 08:12:00 PM »
Dave makes a gorgeous bow.  I may have to look again in the future...  That's a great looking riser.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11732 on: November 27, 2012, 08:13:00 PM »
Go ahead and post the pics of Howards bows and Popes arrows. Just don't try to sell them on this forum.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11733 on: November 27, 2012, 08:51:00 PM »
Hi Bic,
 I would enjoy shooting with you and Dave at the banquet for sure! We enjoyed you shooting with our group at Flatwoods this summer too.
 How's the deer season going for you?

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11734 on: November 27, 2012, 09:46:00 PM »
Khard,
They are posted in their own thread.  Its the JD Berry string follow "misty dawn" its Shawns new bow, my JD Berry Vixen should be here mid to late next week.

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11735 on: November 28, 2012, 07:52:00 AM »
I was hoping it would be OK to post these pics!

Here is the first bow.

The gentleman said he got the bow directly from Craig Ekin. He has a handwritten letter from Craig about the bow.  The name on the bow is "The Charm" so Howard must have liked this one!  He does not know the draw weight of the bow but said, "it looks like a brute, with thick limbs.

Pretty cool huh?  Wait till you see the next one!

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11736 on: November 28, 2012, 07:57:00 AM »
The other bow is an earlier ELB style Hill with horn nocks.

The gentleman said, "The second Hill bow I got directly off of Gene Wensel.  I used to stay in close contact with Gene, but I kind of lost track of him, through his moves.
I have a letter on his own letterhead talking about this bow, in his own handwriting.  The tip was broken at one time, but you can't tell without close inspection. Except for a tiny pie shaped piece missing from the place where the tip broke off.  It is either dugame (lemonwood) or lancewood backed with rawhide.It is a very early Hill bow, made in 1931 by Howard Hill while he lived in Florida. Legends Bert Grayson and John Schulz, who worked with Howard, assured Gene that it was legit. It is a BEAUTIFUL bow!!! It came from the collecting legend Bert Grayson Collection, who had it in his museum. He got it directly from Hill."

Howard probably took the animal that he used to make the horn nocks out of. It is a beauty!!

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11737 on: November 28, 2012, 08:00:00 AM »
Here is the first Pope arrow:

The first Pope arrow I got off of noted author- T.M. Hamilton, who got it off of noted artist- Remington Schuyler, who was a friend of Saxton Pope's. I've had it for over 20 years now. I have the packaging that I got it in, from Mr. Hamilton, with his handwriting on it.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11738 on: November 28, 2012, 08:04:00 AM »
Very nice!
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11739 on: November 28, 2012, 08:05:00 AM »
The second Saxton Pope arrow, I also got off of Gene Wensel. Gene did a story on an identical arrow that he used to take a doe, in Traditional Bowhunter magazine. It was actually one he took to Africa, in 1926, I believe it was offhand. but never used. It is a work of art!!! Fletching is Goose feathers tied with Cat gut. It comes with a Broadhead, in beautiful condition. The only flaws are a slight flake off of the nock and a little spot in the fletching that was like that when I got it. The nocks are BONE reinforced. Also has a Gold crest put on it by Mr. Pope. It also has a number written on it. Don't know if Mr. Pope or someone else put this on, but I'd assume it was Mr. Pope. It is a real BEAUTY!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©