3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 137103 times)

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #11760 on: November 29, 2012, 08:09:00 PM »
Sweet bow. You did good.  What was the wait time?
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11761 on: November 29, 2012, 08:57:00 PM »
Brian, I picked it from Steves in stock bows. Called him Monday and shot it this evening. I got sucked into this Hill vortex and had to have one. Sure glad I did!

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11762 on: November 29, 2012, 08:59:00 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Shawn!  I hope to test one of those Misty Dawn string-follows in the future.

BCWV - that is some good shooting with your new Shelton!  You'll be bustin' nocks before you know it!

Keep the wind in your face!

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11763 on: November 29, 2012, 10:18:00 PM »
What are the specs on it?   I did not know he had any in stocks floating around.

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11764 on: November 30, 2012, 05:19:00 AM »
It's a 68",48@28, Burgundy Rosewood riser, bamboo cores and black glass. Check out Steve's website for his stock bow page.

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11765 on: November 30, 2012, 05:23:00 AM »
So I sent a bow to a fellow TG member on Tuesday.  He received the bow yesterday and found that the tip was damaged.  I packed the bow as I always do.  I built tight fitting tip sheaths from cardboard and duct tape that fit snug on the limbs from the tip to about 5 inches down.  Then I wrap the tips in bubble wrap.  Then I wrap the riser in bubble wrap.  In this case the bow was backset so I put it in a 3" heavy cardboard tube.  The bow was in there tight because the limbs actually sprung up against the tube walls.  One end of the tube had a plastic cap so I secured that with several strips of duct tape.  I didn't have another cap, so I fashioned one out of three layers of heavy cardboard and lots of duct tape.  

I have no idea how this bow was damaged.  The buyer sent me pics of the package.  He said you never would have known there was any damage just looking at it.  The tip never came all the way through the end of the tube.  Basically the tip hit the cardboard cap, barely put a little dimple in the cardboard and didn't puncture the tape.  Someone at USPS must have smashed this thing hard on the concrete or truck floor to get it to move enough to chip the fiberglass and first bamboo lamination.  To say the least I AM PISSED!  

The worst part is the bow was built by a retired bowyer so it's irreplaceable.  I know that USPS isn't going to give me a partial claim refund.  They are going to want the bow if I'm to get a full insurance refund.  I'm going down there today to see what I can do.  Fortunately the tip doesn't seem to be cracked or split, it looks like it's just cosmetic for the most part.  Thank goodness I'm dealing with a great guy who completely understands the risks involved with shipping bows by any carrier.  

So a word of caution.  ALWAYS PACK YOUR BOWS GOOD AND TIGHT!!!  Given that it's holiday season, package volume is going up and there's a rush to get everything delivered.  I'm sure lots of packages just get thrown around with little concern for their contents.  

Sorry, but I had to vent.  I'm not digging on the USPS.  I have a friend who works for them and like my dad say's, US Mail is the best gig going.  For a very fair price 999 times out of 1,000 your mail gets to its intended target in one piece.  Hopefully this was my 1X when it didn't.    :banghead:  Man, I almost feel better now.
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline bicster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11766 on: November 30, 2012, 05:23:00 AM »
Brad,
Vortex is right! I have been caught in it for four years now. I shoot recurve and primitive too but I keep getting drawn back to the HH style.

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11767 on: November 30, 2012, 05:58:00 AM »
I hear you Bic. I love shooting all my bows but that Shelton is a hoot! Glad I took a look at this thread.

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11768 on: November 30, 2012, 09:23:00 AM »
BCWV, I looked at that same bow. Steve put it on the scale for me and we determined it was not quite the weight I needed at my 30 inch draw. It is a beauty for sure and I can't wait for mine to be done. Brianlocal, Steve told me he was running 8 or 9 months out.
Having done so much, with so little, for so long, I can now do anything with nothing.

Offline Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11769 on: November 30, 2012, 10:24:00 AM »
Thanks Swinesstalker, I was wondering what the waiting period for one of Steve's bows was.  I think I ordered one in late Febuary or early March so it should be done soon. Can't wait.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11770 on: November 30, 2012, 10:50:00 AM »
Brianlocal, Steve is showng three Sheltons in stock at present on his web site.  I check it frequently!  :rolleyes:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11771 on: November 30, 2012, 04:22:00 PM »
Mikebiz-

I hope this gets to you before you file your claim form with the USPS. I mailed a bow out during the summer, and they told me it was damaged during processing so I should fill out a claim form.

I insured the bow for $600.00, and they required a receipt for reimbursement so I mailed that too. USPS sent me a check for $395.00, and told me that the bow depreciated over the last 3 years. I appealed it, explained it was custom made, and was denied a full refund.

If I would have not been honest, and changed the date on the receipt they would have given me the full $600.00.

Good Luck,
D
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11772 on: November 30, 2012, 04:24:00 PM »
BCWV: I was looking  at that Shelton, too. I guess I should have gone for it! Congrats, and nice shooting!
Chuck

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11773 on: November 30, 2012, 04:47:00 PM »
Thanks Darren.  I appreciate the heads up.  The guy who bought the bow went to USPS today to make the claim.  Apparently he's going to get some money.  Not sure how much, but since the bow wasn't destroyed it should be enough to cover proper inspection and repair by a skilled bowyer.  I'm a little relieved.  

Sorry to hear about the runaround you got from USPS.  I'm sure they have paying out as little as possible down to a science, yet they're still close to bankruptcy.  Go figure.
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11774 on: November 30, 2012, 09:28:00 PM »
Thanks guys. I just finished touching up a few broadheads for it and hoping for a chance at some venison tomorrow with her.

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11775 on: November 30, 2012, 09:32:00 PM »
I'm headed out in the AM with my Half Breed - gonna be -10C (14F). I hope the deer are moving, otherwise it's gonna get painful fast out there! :-)
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11776 on: November 30, 2012, 09:40:00 PM »
My addiction is out of control.  I tried to start to downsize, sold a Johnson longbow to Kestimator, and out of the blue.....I see a Shrew Hill for sale and I pick it up.  It's "yellow dog" and in 8/11 LaClaire posted pics on this thread.  Another great bow. I'm curious how many are out there, the design is very different than All other Hill style bows I've seen being made today.

I think the plastic tubes PVC are the way to go for shipping.  Cost is on size, the weight doesn't seem to make a difference but it sure protects them.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11777 on: November 30, 2012, 10:09:00 PM »
Overspined, where did you snag that beaut.!!

Offline Dodger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11778 on: November 30, 2012, 10:53:00 PM »

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #11779 on: December 01, 2012, 09:07:00 AM »
I just acquired my Hill style bow for life, no need for another:  2nd hand mint condition Miller Old Tom 66" 50@28.  Truly excellent craftsmanship, graceful/elegant shaped limb tips, gorgeous myrtle riser.  I think he's got one up on HH bows.  Awesome shooting bow.  Draw I can only describe as "liquid".
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©